Corona Virus.. anyone worried??

pmck

On 3/2/2020 at 9:13 AM, pmck said:

Good Morning,

My family and I are booked for a May, 2020 cruise out of Puerto Rico. Every day more and more stories are on the news about the Corona Virus.

I'm trying not to over react, but it is a little scary.  What do you think?  I'm thinking that maybe the screening process getting on the ship will be more comprehensive.

My husband thinks that we won't have any issues, but we still have to get through 69 days and who knows what can happen in that time..:classic_wacko:

Doesnt march 2nd - date of original post seem like a very long time ago?  I wish our only concern these days was comprehensive screening before boarding a ship. I was on a cruise a 3 week cruise in january when my Dh read online about this virus.  Truly a shame we didnt shutdown sooner than march.  But we cannot change history.

Now, I would like to go fast forward in time for when things are back to "normal".    

One thing I hope we see in the future is for people who are sick to stay home!!

I always get annoyed seeing someone at a store that looks like death -- coughing sneezing and  touching everything in sight.  Or those same people sitting in airport saying I have to fly even though I am sick.   Hopefully that will stop but probably not knowing humans.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Doesnt march 2nd - date of original post seem like a very long time ago?  I wish our only concern these days was comprehensive screening before boarding a ship. I was on a cruise a 3 week cruise in january when my Dh read online about this virus.  Truly a shame we didnt shutdown sooner than march.  But we cannot change history.

Now, I would like to go fast forward in time for when things are back to "normal".    

One thing I hope we see in the future is for people who are sick to stay home!!

I always get annoyed seeing someone at a store that looks like death -- coughing sneezing and  touching everything in sight.  Or those same people sitting in airport saying I have to fly even though I am sick.   Hopefully that will stop but probably not knowing humans.

Boy, you are so right. This past month has seemed like an eternity and sadly, there's a long way to go.  I am starting my 5th week of "working from home" today. Our cruise was cancelled of course.  We are having a little bit of trouble with Frontier Airlines, which I'm surprised about.  They let us cancel without a cancel fee, but are charging us a "rebooking fee" of $25 p/p. I think that stinks, since we have no choice. I would rather take the refund, but they aren't giving us that option.. Anyway, I guess that's not a big deal, considering everything that's going on in the world.  You are right.  I wish that our "President" (I use that term lightly) and the powers that be would have taken this whole thing more seriously when it first started. Maybe we would have a better grasp on it by now.  Things here in NJ are at a peak I think and hopefully will be heading down soon (like NY).  My brother and his family are in PA (I'm originally from Scranton). He works as a butcher for "Gerrity's" market and has been working 6 to 7 10 hour days because of the "panic shoppers".  I worry about him, just like we all worry about our families. I hope that our beaches (5 mins from home) are open this summer, but I worry that Florida is ruining that for us now.  Our Governor will see how the crowds seem to be gathering there since re-opening and will fear a re-surge here if that happens.  I will miss our cruise vacations and honestly don't know how soon we will feel comfortable cruising again. I think it will be at least next year.  In the meantime, we are staying home and trying to stay safe and well.  I wish the same for you and your family.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pmck said:

We are having a little bit of trouble with Frontier Airlines, which I'm surprised about.  They let us cancel without a cancel fee, but are charging us a "rebooking fee" of $25 p/p. I think that stinks, since we have no choice. 

Even more so because $25pp is about the full price of a frontier flight anyway.

17 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Doesnt march 2nd - date of original post seem like a very long time ago?

It sure does, just read my response on page 1 of this post "At this point I'm mildly concerned with our May cruise", the world looked a lot different then as it does now that's for sure.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Cruisin_n_Boozin said:

Even more so because $25pp is about the full price of a frontier flight anyway.

I wish!!  We paid over 500 for 3 flights to Puerto Rico. That included bags and seats.

1 hour ago, pmck said:

I wish!!  We paid over 500 for 3 flights to Puerto Rico. That included bags and seats.

I totally agree.  We paid close to $1,700 for our family to fly to Fort Lauderdale (due to Spring Break).  We did receive a credit, but it must be used by March 2021.  With a son with respiratory issues I am treating it as a sunk cost.  The credit will go unused.  And likely the same story with our cruise credit. 

45 minutes ago, travelgirl528 said:

I totally agree.  We paid close to $1,700 for our family to fly to Fort Lauderdale (due to Spring Break).  We did receive a credit, but it must be used by March 2021.  With a son with respiratory issues I am treating it as a sunk cost.  The credit will go unused.  And likely the same story with our cruise credit. 

Maybe with your circumstances (having a son that cannot travel because of his particular health issues and this respiratory disease), they would make special dispensation for you.  I would definitely give it a try.  I have emailed Frontier tried the same for my cost.  I don't feel like we should incur any additional costs for this, since it's out of our control. Good luck to you and your family!

3 hours ago, pmck said:

Maybe with your circumstances (having a son that cannot travel because of his particular health issues and this respiratory disease), they would make special dispensation for you.  I would definitely give it a try.  I have emailed Frontier tried the same for my cost.  I don't feel like we should incur any additional costs for this, since it's out of our control. Good luck to you and your family!

Thanks for the kind words.   I have tried with both the airline and RCCL.  In the scheme of things it is okay.  Any problem that can fixed with money is not a real problem.  We are fortunate to be able to quarantine.  I am so comforted that our Ohio governor is closing schools the rest of the year and there will be perhaps a remote learning plan for kids like my son for when school resumes in the fall.  I know it won’t be easy to keep him isolated until a vaccine is available, but I am glad that our governor is being thoughtful and I won’t have un-enroll him from public school to go independently to a home school household.  I was not meant to be a teacher and I look forward to when my son can go to school with his friends.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, travelgirl528 said:

I am so comforted that our Ohio governor is closing schools the rest of the year and there will be perhaps a remote learning plan for kids like my son for when school resumes in the fall. 

Did Dewine confirm school closing for the test if the school year? I have t heard that or heard from my daughters school yet. I am being told that Trump is saying everything will open up the first of May. I really hope not. This is far from being over and I see a round two coming up if so.

2 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Did Dewine confirm school closing for the test if the school year? I have t heard that or heard from my daughters school yet. I am being told that Trump is saying everything will open up the first of May. I really hope not. This is far from being over and I see a round two coming up if so.

Yes, DeWine announced today that school will not resume this academic year.  He said they are looking at a "blended option" for the fall, but it sounds like each district will have a lot of control over what strategy they pursue in the fall.  Trump is incorrect.  Everything will not open up May 1st.  DeWine, is trying to maintain the delicate balance between opening business and keeping Ohioans safe.  He is being thoughtful and deliberate.  I am very happy he is our Governor.  I suspect that although businesses will open it will not be anything like what it was before COVID.  He mentioned that small businesses had pleaded that if they are permitted to open up they are not quickly closed with a second wave so he is doing his best to put into place practices that will allow businesses to open and stay open.  It was mentioned that there will likely be another wave, but they want it to be very small and controllable.  

Are you in Ohio?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, travelgirl528 said:

Yes, DeWine announced today that school will not resume this academic year.  He said they are looking at a "blended option" for the fall, but it sounds like each district will have a lot of control over what strategy they pursue in the fall.  Trump is incorrect.  Everything will not open up May 1st.  DeWine, is trying to maintain the delicate balance between opening business and keeping Ohioans safe.  He is being thoughtful and deliberate.  I am very happy he is our Governor.  I suspect that although businesses will open it will not be anything like what it was before COVID.  He mentioned that small businesses had pleaded that if they are permitted to open up they are not quickly closed with a second wave so he is doing his best to put into place practices that will allow businesses to open and stay open.  It was mentioned that there will likely be another wave, but they want it to be very small and controllable.  

Are you in Ohio?

Thanks for the info. We have a business that is essential so we have been open (although I wish we wasn’t) but have taken every precaution we can with social distancing, signs, tape on the floor and sanitizing after every customer. I do not think this is close to being over. A lot of people are not taking it serious enough and I think there will be a second wave. I’m glad they closed the schools for the rest of the school year. It will be interesting to see what they do for  the next school season. I’m in a suburb right on the columbus line. I like Dewine and think he’s taking every precaution. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

An "oldie" but a goodie.

Anyway, apparently even Taiwan, which some laud as the way to "do" COVID has succumbed and for the first time since sailings resumed last July (the first place in the world where mainline cruising resumed) they shut down for a while:

Taiwan halt to June 8

In Taiwan, Dream Cruises suspended operations of Explorer Dream until June 8, following instructions from the Maritime and Port Bureau, MOTC. This is in response to the May 11 elevation of Taiwan’s epidemic warning to Level 2 by the Central Epidemic Command Center.

COVID-19 spike curtails cruising in Singapore, Taiwan, Malaysia (seatrade-cruise.com)

Geez. We're all happy in the US that we may be approaching the other side of the pandemic if more people get vaccinated. And other countries, including India are going through a horrible surge. That is very sad and it does not portend well for worldwide travel in the near future. 

Edited by Coralc

Even since this post was originally made it seems we are making some progress towards recover (U.S.) and cruising seems to be imminent.  I think it makes sense to still take precautions and I'm glad the cruise lines are being careful about ramping back up.  FWIW, it makes sense to be smart about other kinds of things as well. We always use sanitizer on cruises to help protect against normal flus and noroviruses.  We also seldom hug, handshake, or other things when on cruises.  No one has ever minded a virtual high five or fist bump.

So, it seems like cruise lines were way ahead of the curve when it comes suggested precautions.  I'm glad for now they will require vaccines for this current threat, but I expect in the future that requirement will lessen.  Hopefully, we've learned some good new habits and people will continue to use them on cruises and other places where crowds naturally occur.

I'm not really afraid of it, because I know they are working so hard to keep us safe.  I also go shots for tetanus, measles, flu, shingles, etc. so being vaccinated for COVID seems like a natural extension.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, Biker, why did you resurrect it?  Inquiring minds.

I thought it might be of interest for some.

Biker, who usually does not try to stir the pot.

Edited by Biker19
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2021 at 8:30 PM, tserface said:

Even since this post was originally made it seems we are making some progress towards recover (U.S.) and cruising seems to be imminent.  I think it makes sense to still take precautions and I'm glad the cruise lines are being careful about ramping back up.  FWIW, it makes sense to be smart about other kinds of things as well. We always use sanitizer on cruises to help protect against normal flus and noroviruses.  We also seldom hug, handshake, or other things when on cruises.  No one has ever minded a virtual high five or fist bump.

So, it seems like cruise lines were way ahead of the curve when it comes suggested precautions.  I'm glad for now they will require vaccines for this current threat, but I expect in the future that requirement will lessen.  Hopefully, we've learned some good new habits and people will continue to use them on cruises and other places where crowds naturally occur.

I'm not really afraid of it, because I know they are working so hard to keep us safe.  I also go shots for tetanus, measles, flu, shingles, etc. so being vaccinated for COVID seems like a natural extension.

Just saying hello.We were on the same cruise about 8 years ago.