Corona Virus.. anyone worried??

pmck

10 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Imagine others, younger have had it, didnt realize it was Corona and got over it

Idk, they said kids can be carriers, so maybe that means they dont get symptoms but spread it. 

Not sure what they meant. But it's why schools closed, because the kids were carriers. So that's kind of contradictory kids under 9 havent caught it, then say kids can be carriers.

22 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

That's an understatement.  Whatever new bookings they were getting just vanished.

• Like 1

Like others have said if you fall under the  elderly and those with underlying conditions. Maybe i would worry i am not too worried yet. a little on edge but , ive been on many cruises and i always wiped down my own cabin and door handles and washed my hands and never dunked my head in the pool and *knock on wood*  I never got sick .  So i am hoping it will stay that way. already bought some extra travel size wipes for the cruise.

Also from the advisory: "While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.  "

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paper1122 said:

This applies to at risk individuals, not all cruisers

What, the US State Department advisory? It seems pretty clear it is an advisory for all people, regardless of age: "U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship."

This, however, is not a ban on cruise ships. They're not saying that you can't go, they are just advising you not to go. It's still a personal decision for people to make, until and unless the cruise lines themselves start to shut things down or an actual ban is put in place.

2 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

Also from the advisory: "While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.  "

Yup that is why I cancelled the Vision from Barcelona yesterday. 

Well we are in our 60s and we are not worried . We are heading to Europe at the end of May for the Anthem , we are going to France and to Amsterdam . We are both widowed have both lost spouses to cancer at way to young of ages and I myself survived colon cancer when I was 46 so if that is meant to take us well so be it . But I will be damn if hide my house and spend my last few years of whatever life we have left in fear of what ifs . We planned this a long time ago and onward an upward . Have this and then Hawaii and then west coast for NYE . So ask me on NYE if I am still here LOLOLOL.  Happy sailing everyone . 

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

What, the US State Department advisory? It seems pretty clear it is an advisory for all people, regardless of age: "U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship."

This, however, is not a ban on cruise ships. They're not saying that you can't go, they are just advising you not to go. It's still a personal decision for people to make, until and unless the cruise lines themselves start to shut things down or an actual ban is put in place.

The ban is something I am sure was discussed at Saturday’s meeting. Basically told CLIA to have plan in place this week. 

We are sailing on Freedom the first part of July from San Juan.  We will go to San Juan regardless and I figure I have until the Thursday before we sail (which is actually when we leave) to decide whether we are going to go on the cruise.

If we don't, I'll take the FCC and we'll turn this into a vacation in San Juan. Easy enough to book the hotel for a few more nights. I'm not panicking. It will all work out.

12 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

the section of the state department website that this comes from is “travelers with special considerations “ 

Although it is clear they are saying they don’t guarantee repatriation

which would apply to everyone.

2 minutes ago, paper1122 said:

the section of the state department website that this comes from is “travelers with special considerations “ 

Although it is clear they are saying they don’t guarantee repatriation

which would apply to everyone.

I think the 'travelers with special considerations' means that a cruise ship passenger is someone with a special consideration.

Other pages in that section are about adventure travelers, older travelers, travelers with pets, LGBT+ travelers, etc.

I cruised last week and saw no extra efforts at cleaning or containment. I will follow the guidelines and not cruise, though I agree with many that I'm far more worried about close quarters while flying. I work so I can't risk prolonged quarantine and the knowledge that the government may refuse re-entry now that the warning is out there. 

1 hour ago, rabidstoat said:

Honestly it's almost irresponsible to cruise right now, and the cruise lines honestly should cancel cruises for a few weeks at least at a minimum. Since there's no vaccine or way to really control this currently, the only way to stop the spread is by stopping people who are carriers from giving it to others. If one person on the ship is a carrier, think about the hundreds of crew and people they come into contact with during a cruise that they're spreading it to, who then bring it back to their corner of the world after the cruise. I'm not saying a full on "never leave your house" is the right move, but a cruise is a self-contained ecosystem, and is being used to propagate the virus.

Edited by Michelle H
  • Like 1

I’m trying not to get lost down the rabbit hole with this virus. We leave 7 days from tomorrow with our port being the town we live in, Tampa. This quarantine appears to be very new, supposedly not done in 50 years. We have a 1 and a 3 year old. How are they capable of quarantining families for weeks who might have special needs? It’s just mind boggling And obviously there are no government FAQ about what to do if this happens. I think it’s all getting out of hand. I really hate to cancel because we’ve been looking forward to this for so long. Our backup plan is the week at Disney with a nice hotel/splash area. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Michelle H said:

Honestly it's almost irresponsible to cruise right now, and the cruise lines honestly should cancel cruises for a few weeks at least at a minimum. Since there's no vaccine or way to really control this currently, the only way to stop the spread is by stopping people who are carriers from giving it to others. If one person on the ship is a carrier, think about the hundreds of crew and people they come into contact with during a cruise that they're spreading it to, who then bring it back to their corner of the world after the cruise. I'm not saying a full on "never leave your house" is the right move, but a cruise is a self-contained ecosystem, and is being used to propagate the virus.

I think they are hoping their new screening measures will prevent future quarantined ships. BUT if we see another ship get quarantined in the next few weeks, I think they would consider such an extreme measure. It's about money of course and the industry can't just go bankrupt. We need to see travel restrictions put on trains, buses, planes & all public transit including uber & lyft. Those private cars aren't being sanitized you know that. I'd think in places with most use, this would be a big problem.

I am on the Harmony of the Seas right now.  They took everyone's temperature with a non-touch thermometer as soon as we entered the terminal, before we got to security.  If one of us had a fever, we would have had time to run back and get our luggage.  That's how fast they take it.

When we got up to the area where we checked in, we were asked if we had visited certain areas.  I believe they were the same as on the notice from Royal.  There is hand sanitizer everywhere and they have you use it before entering the buffet.  I have never seen so many people use hand sanitizer on a cruise.  Even on the plane, I saw people wiping down seats and tray tables.  Personally, I think there is a bigger risk of getting it at an airport because nobody is taking temperatures or being nearly as careful.  I think the airports will be mega spreaders at some point.

Our ports to San Juan and St Maarten have been changed to Costa Maya and Cozumel.  They said it was due to the weather and large swells.  We are still going to Cococay.  I have noticed anyone sick yet.

They have crew members serving the soft serve ice cream.  

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I am on the Harmony of the Seas right now.

So glad to hear your personal experience. We are booked on Symphony in May and are so on the fence since we'd have to fly from CA to FL. I'd bet the ships are super clean right now, it's the nasty passengers we can't sanitize lol. You don't know how many men don't wash hands in the bathroom. It's very disgusting.

• Like 1

Just now, flyguyjake said:

So glad to hear your personal experience. We are booked on Symphony in May and are so on the fence since we'd have to fly from CA to FL. I'd bet the ships are super clean right now, it's the nasty passengers we can't sanitize lol. You don't know how many men don't wash hands in the bathroom. It's very disgusting.

That's true, which is why I always make it a point to wash my hands frequently.  So far, in 15 cruises I haven't gotten sick.  I even heard a dad tell his young son to use hand sanitizer.  I mean, people are using it like crazy and that's a good thing.  I feel like this will be the cleanest cruise we have ever been on.

My wife and I are on the fence. We're supposed to fly out Thursday to San Juan. We're both young and healthy, and could withstand a quarantine of 2 weeks but could the government potentially prevent us from getting from San Juan back to the mainland???? Opinions