East Coast Lighthouses

Turk1

My wife and I will be cruising on the Caribbean Princess at the end of September from New York to Quebec City. Wife loves photography and is interested in getting shots of lighthouses. Can anyone recommend ports that may have good lighthouses for her to photograph? Will be stopping in Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor, St.John, Halifax, Sydney, Charlotte and Quebec City. Thanks

My wife and I will be cruising on the Caribbean Princess at the end of September from New York to Quebec City. Wife loves photography and is interested in getting shots of lighthouses. Can anyone recommend ports that may have good lighthouses for her to photograph? Will be stopping in Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor, St.John, Halifax, Sydney, Charlotte and Quebec City. Thanks

59 minutes ago, Turk1 said:

I would search Amazon for books related to lighthouses of New England and Canada.

Or Google search for lighthouses for New England and Canada which will give her idea with those photos of how she would photo them in person.

The one lighthouse that is famous in Halifax and is quite a distance at a location called  Peggy's Cove. It is both picturesque and a heavy attraction to tourists (groups and buses).

What wonderful ports you will be visiting and most if not all are our favorite ports of call. Bar Harbor & Newport our most favorite. Boston is a very busy and urban harbor..

Enjoy.... 

20170703_101214.jpg

20170703_101224.jpg

I was hoping to see Portland (ME) on the list of ports as there are a number of lighthouses there.  As a previous poster indicated Peggy's Cove has the famous lighthouse.  There are other photo ops there.IMG_1226.thumb.JPG.f916baf89484674cdf37580b5c454de6.JPG2045800117_IMG_1228PeggysCove.thumb.JPG.e776ae6af02629d87d096ced7c11be69.JPG

Too bad you're not stopping at Portsmouth ME as it has a lovely lighthouse.  We were there on the Celebrity Summit a few years ago on a Can-NE itinerary.  Perhaps the Princess ships are too large for its dock.  The lighthouse in Halifax is photogenic and you'll go right by it.

Edited by BarbinMich

Lighthouses   great.....

In Australia and New Zealand  there is a web sites listing all the lighthouse with photos...

I am sure there would be something similar for the east coast of America.....

the internet can help you

Below a shot of the Taiaroa Head Lighthouse at Dunedin New Zealand ( built 1864 ) taken on our last cruise

853582696_dunedinlight.thumb.jpg.42c53834bf75b559fe7ed98179bc1473.jpg  

Cheers Don

Edited by getting older slowly
spelling

14 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Lighthouses   great.....

In Australia and New Zealand  there is a web sites listing all the lighthouse with photos...

I am sure there would be something similar for the east coast of America.....

the internet can help you

Below a shot of the Taiaroa Head Lighthouse at Dunedin New Zealand ( built 1864 ) taken on our last cruise

853582696_dunedinlight.thumb.jpg.42c53834bf75b559fe7ed98179bc1473.jpg  

Cheers Don

Thanks for sharing great photo. 
Tony

Are you going to Saint John, New Brunswick or St. John's, Newfoundland?

If it is Saint John, NB, here is a list of the New Brunswick lighthouses. 

https://www.lighthousefriends.com/pull-state.asp?state=NB 

Make sure you locate them on the map first though because some of them are listed as in Saint John, but the Swallowtail lighthouse is actually on Grand Manan which is a drive and a long ferry ride away. Anything on Campobello Island would be impossible to get to while you are in port because that would involve a drive to Letete (which does have a lighthouse), a ferry ride to Deer Island, and then a seasonal ferry to Campobello Island which may or may not be operating at that time of year. The only other way to get to Campobello from Saint John would be to drive to St. Stephens, cross into the US, and then drive down to the International Bridge to cross back over to Campobello in Canada--something I definitely would not want to do on a shore excursion because it would involve four border crossings.

However, there is a lighthouse on Partridge Island and there are some towards the St. Martins area which you should be able to get to while you are in port and you may even find a shore excursion that will take you there. I also think the tiny one in the port of Saint John is still there and there are others they are trying to restore.

In Newport, the ship will be moored relatively close to Rose Island Lighthouse and Newport Harbor Light on Goat Island. You will pass by Beavertail light at the entrance to and exit from the East Passage, Narragansett Bay and Castle Hill Light (one of my favorites) as you cruise through the passage. Lime Rock/Ida Lewis Lighthouse can also be seen from the harbor area although it is now a yacht club. 

It is a fairly easy walk to Goat Island to see the Newport Harbor Light. If there aren't too many boats in the mooring area, Storer Park has a lovely view of it, especially at sunset.

The Jamestown Newport ferry can take you to Rose Island for an up-close and personal view of that lighthouse.

https://www.roseisland.org/copy-of-transportation

It might be possible to see Sakonnet Light as you are sailing north. There are others that you will pass but it depends on lighting and distance.

Enjoy!

If you rent a car in Halifax you can see a couple other lighthouses besides the one at Peggy's Cove.

Check out the ones at Sambro Harbour Chebucto Head

This article includes a map.

Here are some more though some are too far away.

Nova Scotia Lighthouse drone project

For Sydney check out the lighthouse at Louisbourg and perhaps others on the map in the first link.

Here is more information about these two ports including car rental information: Halifax      Sydney