Concern over Seattle departure in May

cruisingnana

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

There are dozens and dozens of threads around Cruise Critic where people are discussing their concerns.

Yes,  I know.   What has me asking specifically  about Seattle is that there seems to be more cases showing up there in the last few days.

50 minutes ago, cruisingnana said:

Yes,  I know.   What has me asking specifically  about Seattle is that there seems to be more cases showing up there in the last few days.

Wash your hands a lot and stay away from people who are coughing.  No need to avoid Seattle. The Covid-19 virus is not that common nor does it make most people very ill. Just use common sense, like you do with seasonal influenza, which you are more likely to catch.

• Like 2

We’re looking at May trips out of Seattle to Alaska. Haven’t booked yet and am watching the virus closely, also watching prices.  An early May trip on Princess has dropped $100 in the past 2 weeks. Don’t see the need in booking early this year and do anticipate more price drops.

While we are "concerned", we are not overly worried or anxious. We have a couple of cruises booked and one is out of Seattle. Hoping and praying for the best as I am immunocompromised, so I need to take extra precautions. Bottom line: not cancelling, not over worried, will take necessary precautions.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

I’m in Seattle with cancer undergoing treatment, and I’m not overly concerned.  I wash my hands a lot, I avoid large crowds in small places, but I’m living my life.  Seattle is a pretty well connected city internationally, so the thinking her is that the coved-19 virus has been knocking around for at least a few months.  My guess is any community larger than 250,000 might have it in their community.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisingnana said:

Is anyone thinking of cancelling a late May Alaska cruise departing from Seattle? 

No, the chance of dying from Covid-19 is teeeny. Way less than the drive to the airport

^ For cancer patients like myself and Prost Seattle, the risk is definitely higher. And yes, the risk for us is flying to and from port, being in crowded spaces, people who go out into the community when they are ill, that type of thing.

No one can decide for OP and I do get the concern, but we all have to live our lives. No one ever knows when they will take their last breath. Sorry, don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, just being realistic and honest. 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisingnana said:

Would that concern be different from people, like us, who are scheduled to sail from Rome in May?

I guess my theory is I’m not going to worry about how I may die, I’m concentrating on how I shall live. That is the greatest gift cancer has given me. 

FYI, we’re up to 5 deaths in King County, 1 in Snohomish County.  Of note, due to some disagreements with the federal government, Washington State is doing their own testing, so this may be why there are so many more reported cases here.  

21 minutes ago, Prost Seattle said:

I guess my theory is I’m not going to worry about how I may die, I’m concentrating on how I shall live. That is the greatest gift cancer has given me. 

FYI, we’re up to 5 deaths in King County, 1 in Snohomish County.  Of note, due to some disagreements with the federal government, Washington State is doing their own testing, so this may be why there are so many more reported cases here.  

I am also a cancer patient.  Currently doing quite well,  but may be more likely to have more serious complications so will discuss with my oncologist and make a decision closer to departure date of May 24th.  Thankfully we always purchase trip insurance and I am sure she will help with filing a claim for medical reasons. 

Why not sit around wringing your hands and worrying from now until May?  The only way I wouldn't go is if the US Government banned travel in and out of Seattle.

On 3/2/2020 at 11:39 AM, zqvol said:

Wash your hands a lot and stay away from people who are coughing.  No need to avoid Seattle. The Covid-19 virus is not that common nor does it make most people very ill. Just use common sense, like you do with seasonal influenza, which you are more likely to catch.

Agreed! This year's flu season has been the worst in about 10 years, and we aren't even hearing about it as much as the Covid-19.

Royal announced a new policy starting tomorrow, so if you are on Royal there is this:

With the announcement from Royal, and then indicating if you have a fever call before your cruise and get a future cruise credit, anyone who calls and indicates they have a fever, please post your outcome! Curious if it's as easy as saying you have a fever. Below is the message they went out. 

Over the last few weeks, we’ve implemented new and enhanced health & safety protocols, along with travel regulations, to ensure we maintain a healthy environment onboard as developments related to coronavirus COVID-19 continue to change globally. While we continue to assess the impact, we’ve decided to add a new health screening which supports all our initiatives put in place to help keep you healthy & safe!

So, starting March 6th, 2020 on all Royal Caribbean International ships, mandatory temperature screenings will be conducted for all guests and crewmembers on embarkation day. If your temperature is above 100.4°F or 38° C, you and those in your party will undergo a secondary health screening. Temperatures will be taken with a digital, no-touch thermometer. So, no need to worry.

If you require a secondary screening, this is what you can expect:

• Your temperature will be checked again.
    • You’ll undergo a pulse oximetry reading. This means, a small device will be placed on your finger to measure your oxygen level.
  • If you happen to have a chronic lung illness, like asthma, please bring a letter from your medical practitioner that indicates your normal baseline oxygen saturation levels. This will help ensure you are not denied boarding if you are healthy otherwise.
  • Then, a medical professional will check you for flu-like symptoms, respiratory illness, etc., and would make a final assessment to understand if you’re fit to sail.

If it is decided that we must unfortunately deny you boarding, you’ll receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit for your cruise fare paid, and any precruise Royal Caribbean International purchases and taxes and fees will be refunded to your original form of payment.

And, if for any reason, you happen to have a fever before your cruise, we kindly ask you to not come to the port. Please contact us or your Travel Advisor immediately and we will happily provide you with a credit for future travel. (bold is mine)

Hopefully other lines follow in the next few days. I read somewhere that  cruise bookings were off 40% worldwide through 2021.

Edited by AlanF65

If it is still an issue in Seattle by the time your cruise is here I guarantee it will be proactively canceled so it is probably not something to worry about right now. All big events here in March are being canceled . MSFT, AMZN, GOOG, FB, etc. have all closed their campuses and employees are working from home (MSFT is still paying hourly service works what they would have made which is kind of cool) through the rest of the month. I have also heard of other companies banning visitors from Seattle. 

• 3 weeks later...

An Alaska cruise from Seattle is required to make a foreign port stop. It appears that all Canadian ports will be closed to cruise ships until at least 01 July. Unless your Alaska cruise is stopping in Japan or South America, it will probably not happen.

• 5 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 1:25 AM, Donald said:

An Alaska cruise from Seattle is required to make a foreign port stop. It appears that all Canadian ports will be closed to cruise ships until at least 01 July. Unless your Alaska cruise is stopping in Japan or South America, it will probably not happen.

I would like to know where you got this information........

16 hours ago, JudithLynne said:

I would like to know where you got this information........

It's covered specifically by the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 and more broadly by the Jones Act, otherwise known as the Merchant Marine Act of 1920-- specifically cabotage. The only vessels that can sail directly between Seattle and Alaska without making a stop in a foreign port would be those that are registered and built in the US.

Virtually all cruise ships are registered under foreign flags of convenience and foreign built, so need to make a quick stop in Victoria or Vancouver on these types of itineraries to comply with the law. Since those are not available, it makes Alaska cruising, leaving from Seattle, not viable until Canada opens up its borders to cruise ships which most likely won't be any time soon. Failure to do so results in a fine of about $700 per passenger. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Act_of_1920#Cabotage

21 minutes ago, JudithLynne said:

I am aware of all the information that you cited above, my DH and I have completed 46 cruises over the last 25 years.  What I am asking is where did you get the date of July 1st?  I have not seen that anywhere.

You are asking about a post made in early 2020 before anyone knew that the entire 2020 cruise season to Alaska would be canceled. I don’t think anyone has made any projections for the 2021 Alaska season.