Highclere Castle

We’ll be docking in Southampton for 12 hours in September and we’d love to visit Highclere.  How is the availability for Uber/Lyft or taxi for the 45 minute ride to there and back.  I’d like to purchase our tickets as soon as possible.  

Thank you.  

Francine. 

Yes, 45 minutes (34 miles) each-way. 

Uber is available in Southampton,  but for this sort of distance and with a (90 minute?/2 hour?) wait at Hghcllere castle it'll be expensive.

I don't know about the availability of Uber at the Highclere castle end, or whether two  one-way rides will be cheaper than a round-trip plus waiting time.

Also bear in mind that Uber quotes are indicative-only, and can be affected by delays en-route.

Probably better to seek a fixed-price from a Southampton-based operator. 

Try  https://westquaycars.com/ and https://smithsairportcars.co.uk/ and http://www.aquacars.co.uk/all of whom are used by CC members. You'll need to tell them how long you plan to stay at Highclere castle.

Alternatively travel by train

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

Approx half-hourly service from Southampton Central station to Newbury station (via a train change at Reading).

Return fare approx £30, journey time about 90 mins e/w. 

Taxi from ship to Southampton central £6 to £10 depending which cruise terminal.

And taxi from the rank at Newbury station (or phone for an Uber) for the 6 miles / 10 minutes to Highclere castle. Arrange for the driver to collect you from Highclere castle at an agreed time.

JB :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cruisin MarcnFran said:

I have my work cut out for me.  Thank you!  I very much appreciate all the information.  

First thing is to get firm quotes from the operators that I mentioned.

Uber is unlikely to be hugely different, just more uncertain.

Then compare those quotes with travel by train, which will cost a total of around £100 for two people and a total travel time of something over 4 hours compared to 90 minutes by car.

Then decide for yourselves whether the inconvenience of the train beats the cost of a car.

Just to be sure that you know what to expect, Highclere castle isn't an archetypal defensive "castle" like Dover Castle, Edinburgh Castle, the Tower of London, etc..

Like many properties of its period owned by wealthy & titled families and called "Xxxxxx Castle" it's actually a "stately home" with an interesting history of re-modelling by the country's leading architects and landscapers of the time. 

Its main claim to fame was that its owner, the Earl of Carnarvon, funded Howard Carter's expedition which uncovered the tomb of Tutenkhamen. Carnavon went to Egypt to join Carter in the opening up of the tomb - he died a few months later, supposedly a victim of the Curse of King Tutenkhamen.

Its more-recent fame of course is as the location of "Downton Abbey".  

Aficionados of the TV series rate it well worth a visit, but f you're having second-thoughts about it there are plenty of alternatives in Southampton itself and, mainly because of its excellent rail links, in the surrounding area.

Check out this thread about some of the other options

JB :classic_smile: