Ship going to another port, instead of what was planned

Luv2cruz1000

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/lead-stories/20200303/chinese-businessman-guard-slain-brazen-mobay-robbery

Quote from article ~ "While most serious and violent crimes are on the decline, murders climbed by 11.5 per cent up to the end of February. Two hundred and thirty-three people were slain up to last Saturday." ........  🙄 And they're worried about the Coronavirus?? 😮

• Like 2

15 hours ago, firedisney97 said:

I have a friend and her daughter currently on the Horizon.  She just messaged me for info on their new ports.  They were supposed to go to Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios (Jamaica) and Cozumel.  Their itinerary has changed to Amber Cove, Nassau, and Grand Turk because Jamaica and Grand Cayman will not allow them to dock

Did she elaborate port times or any other details. I am on the same cruise in 2 weeks and interested in what may be in store for us. thanks

6 hours ago, Nn2036 said:

Jamaica absolutely needs tourism to survive, also funny the article has commercials for cruise lines. 

Edited by jimbo5544

Today is Tuesday and Horizon is currently docked in Amber Cove, Dominican Republic.  Original itinerary was Ochos Rios, Grand Caymen, and Cozumel. Captain announced that Jamaica and Cayman Islands are still working on their corona virus policies and were not clear on whether the ship would be cleared.  There is no illness on board.  Carnival opted to change the itinerary to Amber Cove, Grand Turk and Nassau.  

Sorry your cruise got rerouted.  Obviously not the ship or Captain's fault.  Has to abide by port authorities and governments of other nations.  Amber Cove would be a bit of a hop to Cozumel and then back.  While GT and Nassau aren't the most exciting ports, you deal with what you get.

It actually sounds like it was the ship and captain's "fault" but it also seems that they did it to avoid a couple missed ports (that happened last week). People will complain either way, carnival thought some ports were better than no ports. That is their right and responsibility.

I'm scheduled to leave on the Breeze on 3/21.  I am still going.  I have no idea WHERE I'm going since it sounds like the islands are up in the air, but wherever it is, I will be happy with it.  As someone who lives in NYC, I am at no higher risk than I am taking the subway every day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Did she elaborate port times or any other details. I am on the same cruise in 2 weeks and interested in what may be in store for us. thanks

She did not - it was just a quick FB message wondering if I had any thoughts on the new locations since we have been to 2 out of the 3

It looks like ALL we can do is WAIT and see! ???? I know the other people that are going with me are "wondering" what we will be doing as well.  I just told them no matter what, let's just pray that we have a good time, no matter what, as long as we don't get sick, and get AWAY from Kansas City for a few days!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Sorry your cruise got rerouted.  Obviously not the ship or Captain's fault.  Has to abide by port authorities and governments of other nations.  Amber Cove would be a bit of a hop to Cozumel and then back.  While GT and Nassau aren't the most exciting ports, you deal with what you get.

And Carnival makes more money by routing another ship to ports Carnival built like Amber Cove and to a lesser extent, GT.

In 26 days my first-born daughter and I are boarding the Freedom.  We think we're going to Key West, Freeport, and Nassau.  I would be disappointed and even surprised to miss Key West.  Missing the Bahamas would be ok with me.

As with weather events, mechanical issues, and everything else, I trust the Captain and Carnival will do everything in their power to keep crew and passengers safe and comfortable.

I don't know of any way that any cruise line could guarantee a specific itinerary.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NETSEG said:

Today is Tuesday and Horizon is currently docked in Amber Cove, Dominican Republic.  Original itinerary was Ochos Rios, Grand Caymen, and Cozumel. Captain announced that Jamaica and Cayman Islands are still working on their corona virus policies and were not clear on whether the ship would be cleared.  There is no illness on board.  Carnival opted to change the itinerary to Amber Cove, Grand Turk and Nassau.  

Hopefully they work this it or at least get Cozumel back on the Horizon itinerary as originally scheduled.  The original itinerary is what I have booked for October & I have

no desire to go back to Nassau or go to the DR.  Probably would cancel if so & appreciate the updates.

50 minutes ago, beshears said:

It looks like ALL we can do is WAIT and see! ???? I know the other people that are going with me are "wondering" what we will be doing as well.  I just told them no matter what, let's just pray that we have a good time, no matter what, as long as we don't get sick, and get AWAY from Kansas City for a few days!!!

You're on the cruise right after mine, but I can't remember your itinerary. Are you doing Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao, & Aruba? That will be ours. I don't think there's anything to worry about with that particular itinerary. Not right now, at least. The only one I'm wondering about is La Romana, because the Dominican Republic just got their first case of coronavirus and it looks to be in a very remote area about 100 miles from La Romana. I don't know if that's of any concern to Carnival or not.

As for some of the other port changes people are seeing, my family & I wouldn't be too disappointed with them. We enjoy Grand Turk, it's always a nice snorkel day for us. We also loved Amber Cove when we were there in 2018. Took the cable car to the top of the mountain and had a great time. So much so, we'd do it again. I'm not the type of guy who really enjoys sitting around the pool, but I have to admit, the pool area there is very nice. We'd like to go back someday.

55 minutes ago, Garf said:

It's time Carnival allow guest to cancel there cruise, with out penalty, if they think it's not safe to travel. Most airlines have implemented this now.

Actually, most airlines are just allowing passengers to change the date or destination of their travel without a penalty fee, not cancel outright and get a refund. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Actually, most airlines are just allowing passengers to change the date or destination of their travel without a penalty fee, not cancel outright and get a refund. 

I’m ok with either cancel or reschedule with Carnival .  Flights are a different animal

than cruises since they are front-end/back-end transportation.  We worry more about what takes place once we get on our vacay than if some inconvenience takes place but still gets us there or home.

I just paid the balance of my Horizon cruise for the end of May. I'd be very upset if I missed going to Aruba. My deposit was $250, so I would loss a good chunk of money. Started looking at other possible options. Disney Alaska cruise during the same week would be awesome and $$$.

18 minutes ago, mnp75 said:

I just paid the balance of my Horizon cruise for the end of May. I'd be very upset if I missed going to Aruba. My deposit was $250, so I would loss a good chunk of money. Started looking at other possible options. Disney Alaska cruise during the same week would be awesome and $$$.

I’m confused, are you not going on the Horizon cruise?

Going on the Horizon in 2 weeks and at the end in May. Don't really care about missing ports this month. May cruise goes to Aruba and Curacao. I can still get most of my money back for May, if things get bad with missing ports.