Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

https://www.ktvu.com/news/sonoma-county-set-to-declare-emergency-as-another-coronavirus-case-emerges-after-travel-to-mexico

This is a little disturbing.   In the article they don’t name the Grand.  However, she was the only ship in port that day,

and I know a few people who were on that sailing.  

Edited by 4cats4me
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Please note: That person has been in Sonoma County for the last 10 days, Lal said. That means they have been in Sonoma County since February 20. I don't see any info regarding whether they returned from a cruise that day or had been somewhere else before returning to Sonoma County.

EDIT: Looking at the port schedule it does appear that Grand Princess was the only cruise ship to port in SF around the 20th of February.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Please note: That person has been in Sonoma County for the last 10 days, Lal said. That means they have been in Sonoma County since February 20. I don't see any info regarding whether they returned from a cruise that day or had been somewhere else before returning to Sonoma County.

EDIT: Looking at the port schedule it does appear that Grand Princess was the only cruise ship to port in SF around the 20th of February.

Ship Returned on 2/21, so 10 days ago.  

1 hour ago, 4cats4me said:

https://www.ktvu.com/news/sonoma-county-set-to-declare-emergency-as-another-coronavirus-case-emerges-after-travel-to-mexico

This is a little disturbing.   In the article they don’t name the Grand.  However, she was the only ship in port that day,

and I know a few people who were on that sailing.  

hey there, I was on the ship Feb. 11 to 21.  You didn't reach out to me.  So far I am good.

• Like 1

I’ve read a few articles about this, and I wonder why they keep mentioning her cruise. Couldn’t she have become infected after the cruise since it’s been 10 days? She lives in a region with known cases. Or is it just that they’re afraid she was infected before the cruise and may have unwittingly exposed others onboard the ship? I just hope they don’t auto assume she caught it on the ship. If she did, then the truth should come out, but I just think that people are too quick to blame cruises for the spread. 

• Like 6

Oh dear, we’ll be following this development closely...there’s another article on NBC Bay Area that mentions the SF to Mexico cruise which ended roughly 10 days ago, it has to be the Grand they’re referring to....but I hope the exposure was after the cruise....

Edited by CruisinCindy

Not very encouraging if one has to make a decision to cruise in the next few weeks.  10 days is certainly within the incubation period of the virus.  On the whole, Carnival should perhaps give booked passengers the right to cancel or agree to the risk of on board contagion?  Grand Princess passengers should be notified and tested.

Edited by resistk

The sky is not falling people..  We will be on the 3/7 & 3/22 cruises on the Grand.  My sister is currently on the ship and so far no cases except for seasickness as the ship was hit with a major storm Friday and was rock & rolling with rain and 60 MPH winds.  Just remember to wash your hands and try not touching your face.  See you all on the ship.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I was on the Grand, it did not get back to SF 2/21. not 2/20??  I live in Bay Area, local news is not reporting a victim of the virus that came down with it after being on a cruise so I think there is miss information here.    Any rate, by this Friday, if you have no symptoms don't worry...it will be two weeks since the ship arrived in SF.  

• Like 1

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/10779399-181/sonoma-county-coronavirus-patient-was

The patient reported symptoms after the Feb. 11 to Feb. 21 voyage on the Grand Princess ship and is under treatment at an undisclosed hospital in Sonoma County, public health department spokesman Rohish Lal said. Officials announced the confirmed case Monday but did disclose the name of the ship.

image.gif

Edited by AlyssaJames

3 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

The article is as vague as the first one with regards to when the patient first displayed symptoms.  Another interesting tidbit from the article was that they only mentioned tracing people on the shuttle bus but not the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Following this as we are on the March 7 sailing. I’m slightly concerned about this in the event that she did contract the virus while on board and has potentially spread it to other passengers and crew. Am presuming Princess is aware of this and taking necessary measures on-board?  

I don't think it's fair to say this is a "conspiracy theory"-- if I had been on that particular cruise I would appreciate seeing such a story posted here, just as a heads-up if to take it seriously if one starts experiencing serious respiratory/flu symptoms so you can take action accordingly and warn your local doctors that you had a *chance* of exposure.  

I do think some of the news articles on this case are sensationalist and it should be made clearer that there's no strong reason to believe the transmission occurred on the ship.  Presumably, being now 2 weeks out from that particular passenger's disembarkation, if it's isn't spreading around the ship now, it's a false alarm...but the best way to protect ourselves, our communities and our beloved cruise vacations is to all try to be aware of our exposures and act responsibly with the information we have (which includes sharing it with others who might find it helpful in a non-alarmist way).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I was going to post the story shared by Westy, here is the local government link: https://www.placer.ca.gov/6437/Placer-County-confirms-second-case-of-CO 

(It's worth noting that the local government has an interest in telling people the person caught it from travel as opposed to community spread, but as far as I can tell from the article, this 2nd person in critical condition does not appear to be closely related to the first person, which at least slightly increases the chances they may have gotten it on the ship).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Knickearth said:

I was on the grand returning the 21st of feb.  today March 4 we get an email from princess that there was a case onboard and we should stay indoors for 14 days.  This is like putting the horse before the cart.  

Kind of a mute point to tell you that now, considering all of the passengers/crew have been out and about for 12 days now!    I understand that they didn't know until then, though.