Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

1 minute ago, BigLakeGrandma said:

Fox News said we will dock at 3  pm. Not going to get many people off today if that is the case. And why do as passengers have to get this information from the media?

San Francisco ABC news has posted on the website 12 noon for docking. FWIW Fox tends to give all times EASTERN.

5 minutes ago, BigLakeGrandma said:

Fox News said we will dock at 3  pm. Not going to get many people off today if that is the case. And why do as passengers have to get this information from the media?

Because as we saw with the announcement of the results...as the ships dr was being told the global media was announcing it....sadly the media jump to put out the story not thinking about the folks on the ship, their family and friends at home trying to get updates and hearing different stories...

It was stated that California residents will be going by bus  to the quarantine sites. Well Miramar in San Diego is a 7 or 8 hours drive from Oakland. So how can they do that? all on a bus, and what about toilets? I can't imagine them not flying > it is a short flight.

9 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

It was stated that California residents will be going by bus  to the quarantine sites. Well Miramar in San Diego is a 7 or 8 hours drive from Oakland. So how can they do that? all on a bus, and what about toilets? I can't imagine them not flying > it is a short flight.

What, inter-city buses on the West Coast don't have bathrooms?  All of the ones on the East Coast do.  Wife regularly takes the 6-7 hour bus from Portland to NYC to visit the kids.

So, let's see.  Your way they have a bus to the airport, sanitize that.  Then an airplane, sanitize that.  Then a bus to the quarantine site, sanitize that.  Or, just one bus that goes all the way and you only need to sanitize that, and only one driver needs to go into quarantine.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

From San Diego tv station website:  "The governor said foreign passengers will leave the ship and board charter buses to be taken to Oakland Airport. There they will board charter planes to be repatriated to their country of origin. U.S. passengers will board charter buses and be taken to Travis Air Force Base. California residents will be split up between Travis and the Miramar base to undergo testing and a 14-day quarantine."

Sounds like California residents, after arriving at Travis AFB, will be split up, and some flown to Miramar. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

From San Diego tv station website:  "The governor said foreign passengers will leave the ship and board charter buses to be taken to Oakland Airport. There they will board charter planes to be repatriated to their country of origin. U.S. passengers will board charter buses and be taken to Travis Air Force Base. California residents will be split up between Travis and the Miramar base to undergo testing and a 14-day quarantine."

Sounds like California residents, after arriving at Travis AFB, will be split up, and some flown to Miramar. 

Hum...this is new...foreign passengers (some of whom no doubt will test positive given results already) will be sent back to country of origin which could be very long flights.  This whole deal sounds awful.

• Like 1

Just now, kathy49 said:

Hum...this is new...foreign passengers (some of whom no doubt will test positive given results already) will be sent back to country of origin which could be very long flights.  This whole deal sounds awful.

I believe Canada said they won't fly any people who are exhibiting any symptoms of Covid-19 (if any are in that state).  Not sure what will happen to those folks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BrennerM said:

I believe Canada said they won't fly any people who are exhibiting any symptoms of Covid-19 (if any are in that state).  Not sure what will happen to those folks.

That is silly,you may not know you  are sick until later! Even then they are saying not everyone feels or appears sick!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2

Just now, Reader0108598 said:

That is silly,you may not know you  are sick until later! Even then they are saying not everyone feels or appears sick!

To be clear, they are still flying them all on a charter to an army base in Canada where they will be quarantined for at least 14 days, regardless of symptoms or not.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BrennerM said:

To be clear, they are still flying them all on a charter to an army base in Canada where they will be quarantined for at least 14 days, regardless of symptoms or not.

they are all on the same plane and I am sure the seats are not "spaced out" and what about those from Europe etc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BrennerM said:

5 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

they are all on the same plane and I am sure the seats are not "spaced out" and what about those from Europe etc.

Probably the same arrangement they used to fly pax from the Diamond to the US and other countries.

Has anyone given explanation for the decision of taking passengers off the ship to prevent repeat of Diamond Princess but leaving crew on the petri dish?

what about 19 who are known to be sick?

No medical treatment other than what ship doctor can do?

Edited by hal2008

7 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Has anyone given explanation for the decision of taking passengers off the ship to prevent repeat of Diamond Princess but leaving crew on the petri dish?

Once the ship debarks passengers it will certainly need a crew to sail out of SFO.

7 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Read that once passengers are off crew will separate into singles per room using passenger cabins for their quarantine.  It has been thought it is because possibly of their work visas or something...it was posted either on here or the Royal update thread.  WCK is there to do the food as well I believe. 

3 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Read that once passengers are off crew will separate into singles per room using passenger cabins for their quarantine.  It has been thought it is because possibly of their work visas or something...it was posted either on here or the Royal update thread.  WCK is there to do the food as well I believe. 

There is certainly NO visa issues.

5 minutes ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Once the ship debarks passengers it will certainly need a crew to sail out of SFO.

You need a tiny percent of total crew to sail the ship away. Very tiny.

So that certainly cant pass as an excuse for not providing those humans with same care as passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

what about 19 who are known to be sick?

No medical treatment other than what ship doctor can do?

There is really no medical treatment for covid-19 other than supportive care, unless of course the symptoms become severe.  I believe that any crew showing severe distress will be lifted off.

3 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Yes, generally the crew don't have visas to be in the US for longer than it takes to get from the ship to the airport (crew visa), and they must be accompanied by a bonded agent at all times, so onshore quarantine for those with mild symptoms or no symptoms is not possible.  WCK will provide meals while the ship is in port, not sure if/where the ship will dock/anchor to ride out quarantine, or if it will sail around, but WCK is not distributing those meals.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Based on health experts, MOST folks who contract this are not seriously ill and recover. Why not let them self isolate on the ship for the quarantine period of 14 days or so. If some do become seriously ill, then I'd expect them to be removed for treatment. As to crew members getting it from each other, I think that horse has long ago left the barn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

There is certainly NO visa issues.

I stated I thought I had read that on another thread something about work visas or something..was not a direct quote and I have been on several threads trying to follow along I stated I couldnt recall if this one or the Royal one.

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

WCK will provide meals while the ship is in port, not sure if/where the ship will dock/anchor to ride out quarantine, or if it will sail around, but WCK is not distributing those meals.

I thought the video posted yesterday WCK said they were loading up the Miss Tammy to send supplies to the ship so I assumed that they would continue to do that once just crew went back out....