Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

5 minutes ago, mtmatull said:

Just confirmed, 21 positive for the virus.  Out of total 40+ tested 19 crew and 2 passengers.  Ship will be taken to a non commercial port and all passengers and crew will be tested. This was announced at ongoing press briefing at the WH with VP Pence. Heartbreaking for all those on board and their loved ones. 

It is the high number of crew members that is the most worrying thing here. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, WIDisCruiser said:

Ship cut off news channels as Pence started to speak. Had to FaceTime with parents so they could hear the news!

Whoa ... guess they want to control the way the narrative is given to the passengers.  

Edited by Cruise Raider

boy that is so many tests ...not sure that for the near future cruises should be stopped by the government...sorry I am sure not a popular thought but with test kits at a premium we will need them all over the country not just for cruises that seem to be having a big problem.

2 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

any idea how this could strike a Princess mega ship twice???

Just bad luck IMO. It is more than likely that other ships have infected on them right now as well. We are really just at the infancy of this pandemic. And no matter what the WHO is choosing to call this. This is a pandemic. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mtmatull said:

Just confirmed, 21 positive for the virus.  Out of total 40+ tested 19 crew and 2 passengers do have the virus.  Ship will be taken to a non commercial port and all passengers and crew will be tested. This was announced at ongoing press briefing at the WH with VP Pence. Heartbreaking for all those on board and their loved ones. 

is there a link to this information?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

bear in mind only 45 were tested so that is really high %...same crew that are preparing the meal. Not great.

It is a high percentage of those tested but keep in mind that those 45 who were tested were selected because they had symptoms, or some factor that made them appear more likely to have the virus. It's not good, but it doesn't indicate that the whole ship population will have an infection rate near that high. 

• Like 2

I would guess there are quite a lot of non symptomatic people walking around the country that were on the previous cruise. I hope the CDC plans on testing every single passenger from that cruise as well. Then they would need to track down everyone that was positive met with over the past 2 weeks. Just a monumental task that is ahead for them.

It's been 14 days since those on the previous cruise disembarked. Tracking down everyone who was on the previous cruise is possible. Tracking down each of their friends and family may be doable, but tracking down the strangers would be impossible. No one is going to remember every unknown person they've encountered in that time.
  • Like 4

.

19 minutes ago, carolyn22 said:

21 tested positive with 19 of those being crew members. Just announced by Pence. 

This shouldn't surprise anyone, but also confirms that if the crew got it that there were many other passengers disembarked on the cruise spreading.

Why the incubation period everyone is assuming is 14 days, but some will develop it earlier and some later.  I'll go far to say the crew is probably a hardier bunch getting exposed to lots of things so they likely represent a population that will have longer incubation times.  They fact that some passengers tested means there are likely more that have it and don't know for another couple weeks at a minimum.        

The Grand like the Diamond were perfect well controlled environments to study but all the cases across the US says the larger problem isn't the Grand, it's is already everywhere in the US.

With that, I'm going to have a nice dinner at home and hit the gym, with some gloves and safety glasses, no isolation for me yet, LOL

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pushka said:

It is the high number of crew members that is the most worrying thing here. 

But unfortunately to be expected, as they probably almost all sailed with the infected passengers on the last cruise. More cases will probably come out in passengers as time goes on. 
My heart goes out to everyone on there, and their relatives. 

14 minutes ago, carolyn22 said:

21 tested positive with 19 of those being crew members. Just announced by Pence. 

This shouldn't surprise anyone, but also confirms that if the crew got it that there were many other passengers disembarked on the cruise spreading.

Why the incubation period everyone is assuming is 14 days, but some will develop it earlier and some later.  I'll go far to say the crew is probably a hardier bunch getting exposed to lots of things so they likely represent a population that will have longer incubation times.  They fact that some passengers tested means there are likely more that have it and don't know for another couple weeks at a minimum.        

The Grand like the Diamond were perfect well controlled environments to study but all the cases across the US says the larger problem isn't the Grand, it's is already everywhere in the US.

With that, I'm going to have a nice dinner at home and hit the gym, with some gloves and safety glasses, no isolation for me yet, LOL

4 minutes ago, villauk said:

Why are they at such a premium in the US compared to everywhere else in the world?

CDC bungled it this time around. blame is being pointed around.  They created an overly complex test, barely produced any kits, and the ones they produced were contaminated/had bad reagent.

It's kind of odd because historically CDC has been way on top of pandemic testing, and this time they had months of lead time.

Everywhere else in the world is more stuck because there's not enough rt-pcr machines.  That's not an issue in the US if the test gets distributed wide enough to all the private and academic labs.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-have-been-tested-coronavirus/607597/

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1