Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

My guess is it could be legal immigration status related for a large amount of the crew from countries that need visas for the US. A lot of crew members are from countries that require visas to come to the U.S.. I consulted for another cruise line on crew scheduling and a lot of employees were literally allowed in the U.S. for a 24 hours or a few days in order to board the Ship for employment and that's it. They were given a Letter of Employment from the cruise line stating as such to present to immigration on entry.

Again no proof, just my assumption . It's absolutely not fair to them is my opinion for what it's worth 

4 minutes ago, lostchild said:

Or maybe they think the crew will mostly be under 30 years old while the passengers mostly be over 60, so most of the crew would survive an outbreak.

This is true. One small silver lining is hopefully they'll get a break from the non stop duties. I was previously on the Grand Princess when it had to turn back to port because of an open hatch. Crew was overjoyed at the downtime. Great ship, great crew.

6 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

Folks are complaining about the OBC or pre-paid gratuities they are not going to get if they cancel. Really!!! 

Lets get this in perspective. The folks on the Grand were on a 15 day cruise. Now they face the prospect of another 14 days minimum in quarantine. Do they have the vacation time to take so they get paid? Will they have a job when they get home? The dog is boarded. I stopped my mail, but it is only for 30 days, now what? What about my bills mailed to the house? If I miss a house or car payment what is going to happen? If I get really sick will my insurance cover it?

Just be thankful you could cancel and get a refund and not go through what the folks on the Diamond went through and what the folks on the Grand are going through.

Very well said.

It is the details that can add to stress.

1 minute ago, nasa1974 said:

Regardless, you need the crew to maintain and operate the ship. The passengers are paying guests of the cruise line. The crew are employees of the cruise line.

This is where the last ship made their mistake according to the study afterwards.  They should quarantine the entire ship for 14 days to their rooms and have professional people who understand this stuff come onboard and handle food delivery etc that knows the rules regarding the virus and has the proper gear.  The crew on the last ship had no clue what they were dealing with.  Anyone comes down with it in those 14 days gets moved off the ship into an external quarantine. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Let's put this in perspective because posts like this make it seem like a quarantine is inevitable.  Since the Diamond incident, WAY LESS than 1% of cruisers have had to deal with any sort of a quarantine situation so let's not make it seem like it's some foregone conclusion. 

I don't disagree, but unless the CDC comes up with a different protocol the 14 days seems to be the standard isolation solution.

23 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

To be fair...Japan had no other outbreaks to deal with at the time...the US is now cascading with outbreaks from the last cruise ship, this cruise ships' last sail, and other issues...

Yes, to be fair..  Governor Newsom and California can handle this... with the US government’s help.  But, yes we can.  Yes, I am being a big snug, but also want to reassure folks, stay tuned. I’ve lived in 4 states, California can do it... I have seen  amazing responses to national and local disasters.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

Second time you have told people to get a grip...I think people here are having a very rational discussion...not sure what the problem is?

There are many responses to danger. Some go into denial. Some hide themselves. Others do research. Yet others become hyperactive.

I would like to remind everyone that this is a matter of life and death for the people on board and their families.

“Mortality increases with age, with the highest mortality among people over 80 years of age (CFR 21.9%). The CFR is higher among males compared to females (4.7% vs. 2.8%). By occupation, patients who reported being retirees had the highest CFR at 8.9%. While patients who reported no comorbid conditions had a CFR of 1.4%, patients with comorbid conditions had much higher rates: 13.2% for those with cardiovascular disease, 9.2% for diabetes, 8.4% for hypertension, 8.0% for chronic respiratory disease, and 7.6% for cancer. ”

Please show the appropriate respect and consideration for those with 'skin in the game'. You never know when it might be your turn. Happy Cruising.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Let's put this in perspective because posts like this make it seem like a quarantine is inevitable.  Since the Diamond incident, WAY LESS than 1% of cruisers have had to deal with any sort of a quarantine situation so let's not make it seem like it's some foregone conclusion. 

I would say its inevitable.  The reason being if they release passengers onto land and if even one of those transmits the disease to someone who dies.  You will have a massive lawsuit.  Someone at the end of the day would have to sign a paper oking that and possibly lose their jobs along with a lot of taxpayer money.  No one will take that risk unless they really hate their job.

2 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

It's likely that thousands if not tens of thousands already have it in contagion form all across this country.  If it is "inevitable" that quarantines will happen, then they will shut down cruising all together for the time being so your logic is a off there.

That probably is in the discussions for US response.  If people get fatalistic or unconcerned (both responses which normally lead to bad micro practices that will contribute to a devastating macro atmosphere), it might be the only response.

CNN just interviewed a poor gentleman on the Grand who is experiencing symptoms and phoned to the medical facility this morning. He had to leave a message requesting to have his temperature checked. He hasn't received a call back and he hasn't seen a dr or has his temp checked. Geez

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

That probably is in the discussions for US response.  If people get fatalistic or unconcerned (both responses which normally lead to bad micro practices that will contribute to a devastating macro atmosphere), it might be the only response.

Agree

48 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

To be fair...Japan had no other outbreaks to deal with at the time...the US is now cascading with outbreaks from the last cruise ship, this cruise ships' last sail, and other issues...

Japan had virus cases onland when the Diamond was quarantined and were dealing with several clusters.

Not to mention they were trying to organise a small thing called the Olympic Games

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, milolii said:

Yes, to be fair..  Governor Newsom and California can handle this... with the US government’s help.  But, yes we can.  Yes, I am being a big snug, but also want to reassure folks, stay tuned. I’ve lived in 4 states, California can do it... I have seen  amazing responses to national and local disasters.

I tend to agree with you.    San Francisco and the State of California generally would have a very comprehensive and tested disaster management  plan because of your earthquake potential.  I am sure the city and State can handle a lot of sick people, even in isolation and quarantine.  You have your military to assist too with huge resources, unlike Australia or New Zealand, we are very limited.

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I tend to agree with you.    San Francisco and the State of California generally would have a very comprehensive and tested disaster management  plan because of your earthquake potential.  I am sure the city and State can handle a lot of sick people, even in isolation and quarantine.  You have your military to assist too with huge resources, unlike Australia or New Zealand.

Please sir, I did not mean to disregard any state or county. I am sure you country can handle emergencies, and you have.  Thank you for you comments. 

26 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Looks like she's heading into the SF harbor

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9104005

I'm using a different tracker, marinetraffic.com. It's now much clearer that the ship is headed to the entrance to the SF Bay. But, I'm not sure it's clear yet that it will dock in San Francisco itself. As of the time of posting this, the ship has not updated its information on its intended destination since 3/5. So It could be San Francisco, but it also could be elsewhere in the SF Bay Area. We should know for sure overnight when the ship finally docks.

Later note: Just in the past few minutes, the ship has increased its speed to 16.8 kn. Not sure what this means, except that we may get our answer on the ship's final docking destination sooner. 

Edited by ChiCruiser758
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiCruiser758 said:

I'm using a different tracker, marinetraffic.com. It's now much clearer that the ship is headed to the entrance to the SF Bay. But, I'm not sure it's clear yet that it will dock in San Francisco itself. As of the time of posting this, the ship has not updated its information on its intended destination since 3/5. So It could be San Francisco, but it also could be elsewhere in the SF Bay Area. We should know for sure overnight when the ship finally docks.

Or it could be going into San Francisco Bay to meet a fuel barge before heading elsewhere.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

grand_bridge.jpg?1583556527100

Thanks Colo Cruiser. As I said earlier, the information on cruisetraffic.com shows that the ship has not changed its information on its final destination,  so it makes sense that the final destination would be listed as San Francisco. It could still be San Francisco. But, based on earlier information that the ship was headed for a non-commercial port, it also seems to make sense that the final port may not be San Francisco itself. In any case, from trackers we should find out tonight based on where the ship finally docks.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ChiCruiser758 said:

Later note: Just in the past few minutes, the ship has increased its speed to 16.8 kn. Not sure what this means, except that we may get our answer on the ship's final docking destination sooner. 

Might they need to re-supply food/other supplies?  I imagine that they had supplies arranged for San Fransisco before the infection was noted. How many days of extra supplies do they carry? 

• Like 1

Might they need to re-supply food/other supplies?  I imagine that they had supplies arranged for San Fransisco before the infection was noted. How many days of extra supplies do they carry? 

May God bless all of those on the Grand Princess tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 6