Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

Originally they said ALL crew and passengers would disembark at a non-commercial port, be tested and anyone positive would be quarantined. But CNN just reported that the 1100 crew will not be allowed off the ship. No explanation. Wonder what the reason for that would be.

1 hour ago, fragilek said:

I think it will come down to costs (it almost always does). Who picks up the tab for the costs of any quarantine, testing, food, hospital bills, tracing of contacts.  Any government could do this as a one off but not if it happens more regularly.  Thus I think that covering costs will be part of any discussion - and that may be the bit that puts a halt on cruising.  If they do go on in the near future then I think further restrictions on age and health may come into play 

To be honest the lack of communication here is the problem.  The passengers should be told the process on what is going to happen.  Considering we are well past the last ships outbreak a plan should have been drawn up on what will happen if someone gets it on a cruise ship.  So people and the cruise industry know what the risks are.  There should be an form you fill out saying, "I am ok with the risks'" after the medical questionnaire when boarding describing this process and it should be available on the cruise lines web site as well. Right now they don't even have a plan otherwise the crew and passengers would all know what is going to happen to them over the next month.

• Like 1

I wish people could leave their political views and opinions out of posts on this thread. It has the potential to be a helpful source of info for fellow cruisers. 

If I wanted to see or hear reports or comments written using only excerpts from a speech or comment by a political leader I would watch the news channel or read the website that supports political leaning. This isn’t a political board and shouldn’t be a place where things said by them is taking out of context to make it sound as though they was nefarious intent or are inept as possible. Can we please save those type of comments for a more political website and not sow them here. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, maizer said:

Agree about treating them equally. However, if they spread out the 1100 employees across the 3500 total capacity ship, shut down ventilation, try to use balcony cabins only, perhaps being onboard would be adequate.

Ships have proven to be excellent incubation grounds.  Those measures aren't going to help. How would shutting down ventilation work? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

To be honest the lack of communication here is the problem.  The passengers should be told the process on what is going to happen.  Considering we are well past the last ships outbreak a plan should have been drawn up on what will happen if someone gets it on a cruise ship.  So people and the cruise industry know what the risks are.  There should be an form you fill out saying, "I am ok with the risks'" after the medical questionnaire when boarding describing this process and it should be available on the cruise lines web site as well. Right now they don't even have a plan otherwise the crew and passengers would all know what is going to happen to them over the next month.

I think part of the issue is the hubris which is on display across the industry....much like the infamous notion of the banks being too big to fail...

I agree that the lack of communication is what makes any bad situation worse, but the lack of a plan for this sort of situation just magnifies the frustration as its not as if everyone (gov't and companies) haven't had a 'dress rehearsal' of sorts but it seems like a really bade case of deja vu!

• Like 6

9 hours ago, CruisinCrow said:

Not enough test kits.  Not enough personnel to board the ship and administer 3000 tests.  Not enough labs to run the tests.

And not enough thought into the "cruise ship problem". What a mess, from no test kits available to not having enough masks. Who does these peoples thinking for them. After the Diamond Princess problem you would think there would be a pallet of masks in the hold.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, caribill said:

a) Geared up to be able to test hundreds of thousands (or more) people for the virus.

b) Arranged for the number of N95 maska that might be needed

c) Prepare quarantine facilities on land to handle thousands of people

d) Appoint someone to be in charge who is a medical professional with an epidemiological or other appropriate background. 

A million tests that were produced were defective

so couldn’t be used

Forgive me if this has been asked (and answered), but I just wonder why we are not hearing about any issues of passengers with fevers and coughs on any other cruise line.  Clearly this is not a Princess issue.  How is this being handled on the other lines?  I admit I don't read every post made on CC for all lines, but I am curious that there is nothing on the news about infected people tracing back to cruise ships other than the two "big" news stories (Diamond and Grand).

A friend currently sailing on Azamara reported that they had to miss a port (Madagascar) as it was closed to ALL cruise ships.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

a) Geared up to be able to test hundreds of thousands (or more) people for the virus.

b) Arranged for the number of N95 maska that might be needed

c) Prepare quarantine facilities on land to handle thousands of people

d) Appoint someone to be in charge who is a medical professional with an epidemiological or other appropriate background. 

a) The testing has been botched, but lack of testing didn’t create the outbreak on the ship.

b) There are mask shortages all over the world. That’s not the government’s fault. Is it the government’s job to make sure everyone has a mask? Not to me. And lack of masks did not create the outbreak on the ship.

c) why should the government create quarantine facilities to handle people going on cruise ships? And lack of quarantine facilities did not create the outbreak on this ship.

d) silly talking point.

I’m not saying this ship outbreak was inevitable. It’s possible someone missed something that enabled this to happen. But every person on that ship knew this could happen. And everyone who gets on any future cruises knows this could happen. That doesn’t mean it is their fault. But blaming the government for this situation is misplaced, IMO.

Edited by Hoosierpop
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, High C's said:

Forgive me if this has been asked (and answered), but I just wonder why we are not hearing about any issues of passengers with fevers and coughs on any other cruise line.  Clearly this is not a Princess issue.  How is this being handled on the other lines?  I admit I don't read every post made on CC for all lines, but I am curious that there is nothing on the news about infected people tracing back to cruise ships other than the two "big" news stories (Diamond and Grand).

A friend currently sailing on Azamara reported that they had to miss a port (Madagascar) as it was closed to ALL cruise ships.

Generally the demographic on Princess is considerably older than that on Royal Caribbean or carnival. Princess tends to do more exotic destinations as well compared to Royal Or carnival 

1 hour ago, phil the brit said:

And not enough thought into the "cruise ship problem". What a mess, from no test kits available to not having enough masks. Who does these peoples thinking for them. After the Diamond Princess problem you would think there would be a pallet of masks in the hold.

the lack of masks for crew serving and preparing meals is beyond belief. 

• Like 4

Hi all - I discovered that Sirius radio has a new coronavirus station last night (121). I listened for a few hours and thought it was really interesting and pretty helpful. Last night, I felt totally prepared to board our Disney cruise on March 21st. After reading up on the Grand, I’m hesitating again but I think you might enjoy the station. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, AlaskaBaked said:

Hi all - I discovered that Sirius radio has a new coronavirus station last night (121). I listened for a few hours and thought it was really interesting and pretty helpful. Last night, I felt totally prepared to board our Disney cruise on March 21st. After reading up on the Grand, I’m hesitating again but I think you might enjoy the station. 🙂

thank you will check it out. To stay current on what is going on I find Steve Lookner Agenda-Free TV very current.

• Like 1

The first case of COVID-19 in Minnesota is a person who  was on  the  previous Grand  Princess Cruise  that is  now sitting off CA.

Be smart, be safe and aware 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, phil the brit said:

The Grand Princess has really messed up things in California.  They have no test kits readily available, so the Goldren State is likely looking at a shut down, I can't imagine cruise lines operating unencumbered  anymore.  Profit and pleasure over global health?  https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/03/06/coronavirus-grand-princess-disease-cluster-confirmed-cases-grows/

Edited by resistk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosierpop said:

But every person on that ship knew this could happen. And everyone who gets on any future cruises knows this could happen.

I agree with this.  And it should no longer be a personal choice or decision because it is not just risking quarantine/getting the virus/missing ports/facing protests - it is also risking another episode like this that can cost a lot of money, people and resources to manage.  And this is costly not just to the host countries where the ship is but also other nations that need to send in planes, etc for evacuation.  If they can lock down cities to contain the virus, there should be hard decisions made on cruises to contain the spread in order not to further strain limited resources to handle outbreaks and save lives.

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

Does anyone know if Princess has a maintenance fee for when you are quarantined on their ship like NCL?

Are you saying that if a passenger quarantined to yuh our room on NCL, the passenger has to pay a fee? I have never heard of this. How much is the fee on NCL?

8 minutes ago, Sea2011 said:

I agree with this.  And it should no longer be a personal choice or decision because it is not just risking quarantine/getting the virus/missing ports/facing protests - it is also risking another episode like this that can cost a lot of money, people and resources to manage.  And this is costly not just to the host countries where the ship is but also other nations that need to send in planes, etc for evacuation.  If they can lock down cities to contain the virus, there should be hard decisions made on cruises to contain the spread in order not to further strain limited resources to handle outbreaks and save lives.

I really agree with this...no one NEEDS to cruise...it is a WANT and right now not really smart. It is just a matter of days before another ship has issues and probably be a different cruise line. The demographics of cruise passengers (other than school holidays) is older...the exact group that probably should be limited their exposure.

• Like 4

So every ship should have a pallet of masks aboard, along with testing kits, etc? Are all these products produced by snapping ones fingers or clicking your heels?

One of the main reasons there is a shortage of supplies is from all the people who snatch them up just in case—when everyone knows masks are completely wasted on healthy people.

We want crew to serve people in the buffet (I agree) but it has bee shown crew are much more likely to be infected than passengers. We believe crew are more sanitary so why would someone then be comfortable with ALL crew wearing masks. Remember, masks are for sick people.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1