Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

9 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

Are you saying that if a passenger quarantined to yuh our room on NCL, the passenger has to pay a fee? I have never heard of this. How much is the fee on NCL?

It is in their contract. Not sure if it would/could be enforced

12 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

Are you saying that if a passenger quarantined to yuh our room on NCL, the passenger has to pay a fee? I have never heard of this. How much is the fee on NCL?

“Compliance with Government Orders: The Carrier shall have the absolute right, without liability for compensation to the Guest of any kind, to comply with governmental orders, recommendations or directions, including but not limited to those pertaining to health, security, immigration, customs or safety. In the case of quarantine, the Guest agrees to bear all risks, losses and expenses caused thereby and will be charged for maintenance, payable day-by-day, if maintained on board the vessel for such period of quarantine. The Guest assumes all risks and losses occasioned by delay or detention howsoever arising. Costs connected with embarkation or debarkation of Guests and/or baggage and costs of transfer between vessel and shore as a result of the circumstances enumerated in this paragraph must be borne by the Guest.” 

Have no clue the fee but if medical is involved i suspect it will be high.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

“Compliance with Government Orders: The Carrier shall have the absolute right, without liability for compensation to the Guest of any kind, to comply with governmental orders, recommendations or directions, including but not limited to those pertaining to health, security, immigration, customs or safety. In the case of quarantine, the Guest agrees to bear all risks, losses and expenses caused thereby and will be charged for maintenance, payable day-by-day, if maintained on board the vessel for such period of quarantine. The Guest assumes all risks and losses occasioned by delay or detention howsoever arising. Costs connected with embarkation or debarkation of Guests and/or baggage and costs of transfer between vessel and shore as a result of the circumstances enumerated in this paragraph must be borne by the Guest.” 

Have no clue the fee but if medical is involved i suspect it will be high.

If a cruise line charged for a mandatory quarantine that would be the end of them. There is no way that they would survive the publicity hit from having Covid-19 AND charging passengers for the quarantine.  I know some people would have the attitude that passengers Knew the risk but others who cruise often would second guess a cruise line that did this.  That would be a PR nightmare. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, fragilek said:

Another Diamond passenger has died today RIP

www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-51781573

This link has an update on David and Sally Abel too from the DP. He is positive again, so they are still staying in Japan. She is clear of the virus. Just unreal. 

And yes, the US response to this outbreak has been slow and botched from the beginning. Sorry not sorry if people on here think that is too political. It is the truth. 

• Like 17

30 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

If a cruise line charged for a mandatory quarantine that would be the end of them. There is no way that they would survive the publicity hit from having Covid-19 AND charging passengers for the quarantine.  I know some people would have the attitude that passengers Knew the risk but others who cruise often would second guess a cruise line that did this.  That would be a PR nightmare. 

I agree. If it were a few people confined and it didn't make the news they could do it. But to have hundreds of people talking about. Being confined and having to pay for it, would really put people off cruising even more.

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

it seems that after China finally let the world know what was happening other countries acted like it simply could not happen here...at least that is my impression of my government here in USA...masks are basic and prior to a trip a few weeks ago I had not problem getting some "just in case" and DCA can't get them and cruises could not?

Three weeks ago we were doing some drywall and painting work on our house and needed masks.  They were out in the stores already.  I think people already saw it coming but apparently the people at the top did not.  I know one issue with masks is that most of them are made in China.  There is a dual problem of work being shut down along with the country needing the masks themselves.  Any other countries making masks are also probably keeping them for their own needs.  Unless we get some mask-makers here in the US very fast, it's going to be a major issue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

it seems that after China finally let the world know what was happening other countries acted like it simply could not happen here...at least that is my impression of my government here in USA...masks are basic and prior to a trip a few weeks ago I had not problem getting some "just in case" and DCA can't get them and cruises could not?

Guess you haven't heard the multiple reports from doctors saying that masks as a form of prevention are basically worthless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Guess you haven't heard the multiple reports from doctors saying that masks as a form of prevention are basically worthless.

For prevention in the general public, yes.  For people dealing with sick patients they are essential.  Priority for masks needs to go to medical personnel, emergency personnel like police and firemen, people caring for sick people at home.  Just for the general public walking around, they won't do much to prevent the spread.

Edited by CruisinCrow
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CarelessAndConfused said:

I would think the internet would be almost unusable but it obviously seems to be working.

I'm wondering if they are close enough to shore that some people are picking cell towers there and using their own data. (I'm lazy, I haven't bothered to look at a marine tracker.)

Does anyone know what time the VP is meeting with the cruise companies today? I have given myself until tomorrow to make a decision about our upcoming cruises (March 14th Royal Princess and March 21st Carnival Panorama). I had no intention of cancelling prior to this incident with Grand - now it just seems too risky. Not concerned about the virus, more concerned about the aftermath/implications and being one of the great "unwashed" that has recently cruised.....

Wondering if the meeting with VP will take the decision out of my hands (that would certainly be easier - it's hard to pull the plug on something you have looked forward to for so long).

• Like 4

We were on the Grand Princess Hawaii cruise Nov 3 to Nov 18.  On return our ship accelerated to top speed and dropped of 6 passengers into ambulances in Ensenada, Mexico.  No details were provided to passengers.  Our cruise was 99% elderly.  We saw only 5 children on this trip.  We missed this disaster by a few months.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

You have 72 hrs to cancel so you can wait until early next week.  I'm not sure if you have other logistics to deal with.  I'm also on the 3/14 Royal and will be going if not canceled.

Edited by ceilidh1
wrong info

4 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

In the U.S., it takes months for all of the cruise ships to carry the number of passengers that air travel carries in ONE DAY.  And airplanes and airports are quite confined spaces.  Should we ground all air travel?  I honestly don't have an opinion on that or cruising one way or the other.

All leisure air travel - probably.

All international travel - probably.

What is a question is how much exposure do you need to be positive - on a plane, you can confine to seats and get folks only touching one thing (especially if you also require no luggage and no eating/drinking now)...and you can check health status on both ends easily...if the current rumor is that you do need a certain amount of exposure if you are healthy (assuming the older and not as healthy pick it up easier), you may be able to have limited air travel for a limited market - ie - emergency and work travel needed to keep life going...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

Seems like a stockpile of equipment for medical professionals should always be there in case of epedemic.

some of the hospitals serving poorer communities can barely survive. Asking them to stockpile anything is a hard ask

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

No one is suggesting stockpiling at every clinic and hospital, at least beyond normal inventory levels.  We're talking about a huge stockpile in a warehouse somewhere that can be disbursed when needed, like NOW.

California does have them. but they are all experienced masks. lol.

51 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

i sure have ...if they are so worthless why are medical personnel wearing them?  They are the most useful for the affected patients...they are important and the supply should have been considered months ago.

EVERY medical professional says that wearing a mask to prevent contracting the virus is virtually ineffective. Only those who have been diagnosed, or suspect they may have the virus, should wear one (to avoid spreading droplets) and medical professionals who are in constant contact with actual and suspected cases. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

All leisure air travel - probably.

All international travel - probably.

The airline officials have already gone to the government and asked them not to discourage air travel because it would hurt their business.  We have a long history of putting the interests of large businesses first.

• Like 5

Just now, CruisinCrow said:

The airline officials have already gone to the government and asked them not to discourage air travel because it would hurt their business.  We have a long history of putting the interests of large businesses first.

I am not surprised !

1 minute ago, npcl said:

just got off Royal, no issues getting off, but quite a few people coughing  hopefully all regular colds.

And that would almost be a certain "3 strikes and you're out" if they find out it's not just colds/flu...no way cruising would continue right now if we have yet another ship both getting off and then getting on board...it would be cascade at this point, and you'd have to stop the cascade...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, maizer said:

In any case, anyone know which port the Grand is going to end up in?

After the medical evacuation early this morning, the ship appears to have gone back to circling off the coast near San Francisco.

I haven't been keeping up with the news, so I don't know if plans have been announced elsewhere.

• Like 2

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

And that would almost be a certain "3 strikes and you're out" if they find out it's not just colds/flu...no way cruising would continue right now if we have yet another ship both getting off and then getting on board...it would be cascade at this point, and you'd have to stop the cascade...

the most interesting thing is zero reaction by crew and passengers to people coughing. almost like if no one notices it is not real. kind of ignore and hope no one tests positive after wards.

• Like 1