Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

6 minutes ago, caribill said:

passengers to practice social distancing

There isn't enough seating in the main dining rooms to do this. What about the theaters, the art auctions, the fire sales, the pool and every bar on the entire ship. There's just not enough room.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

There isn't enough seating in the main dining rooms to do this. What about the theaters, the art auctions, the fire sales, the pool and every bar on the entire ship. There's just not enough room.

After all the cancellations there will be plenty of room to practice "Social Distancing", the new cruise phrase. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, resistk said:

This means that unless there is 100% testing on board, a lot of potentially sick people are going to disembark without knowing it:

There is no way to properly take samples and run the tests on board on 3000+ passengers on a ship before disembarkation. (In the last two months, not even close to 3000 people have been tested in the USA.)

Because of possible false positives and false negatives, two samples and tests would be required for each passenger.  For a one week cruise the testing should probably start about three weeks before the end of the cruise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MsCynthia said:

The oil tanker dock in Richmond is another possibility.

How about off Pt. Richmond?  Passengers and crew could be off loaded from the ship to the Pt. Richmond Amtrak station and transported in specially equipped  train cars to Travis AFB quarantine facility. Not too far a ride.

Or the Grand could be anchored at the Reserve Mothball Fleet, Suisun Bay and passengers and crew bussed to Travis AFB quarantine facility.  Or have the Mothball Fleet ships converted to quarantine facility.

Edited by Justalone

3 minutes ago, aandjw said:

My favorite part:

"The federal government also is setting up a command center at the Marriott Convention Center and flying in extra U.S. Marshals to help with the operation, Reid said. Passengers and crew would then board shuttle busses and be taken to an unknown destination. Their destination would not be the Marriott, Reid emphasized."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

Dr. Grant said a group of passengers got off the Grand Princess in Hawaii and did not continue with the cruise.

Sounds like HI is about to report many more cases of CoronaVirus soon.

Wouldn’t that be a PVSA violation?

The original cruise terminal where the GP departed is circled on the left.  The Outer Harbor in the Port of Oakland is marked by an "X" for those curious where the ship will be docking.

GP.JPG

Edited by snowblower
spacing
  • Like 2

I'm hearing the docking will be Sunday (today) in Oakland, not Monday. And the passengers were told disembarkation could take several days. I'm sure we'll get more information from the passengers on the ship.

Edited by giustot

2 minutes ago, giustot said:

I'm hearing the docking will be Sunday (today) in Oakland, not Monday. And the passengers were told disembarkation could take several days. I'm sure we'll get more information from the passengers on nthe ship.

KRON4 news said at 10:37 PM the plan was changed to Monday for docking.

I suspect some preparation work needs to be done.

Might be that the tides are not favorable. I do not have a current tide table at hand to look at.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, snowblower said:

The original cruise terminal where the GP departed is circled on the left.  The Outer Harbor in the Port of Oakland is marked by an "X" for those curious where the ship will be docking.

GP.JPG

Where the X is where transport ships were loaded and departed for Vietnam all those years ago.

6 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

Dr. Grant said a group of passengers got off the Grand Princess in Hawaii and did not continue with the cruise.

Sounds like HI is about to report many more cases of CoronaVirus soon.

What happened is that a reporter asked Princess execs that he had heard passengers had disembarked and stayed in Hawaii. The Doctor basically did not have actual knowledge if any passengers did or did not disembark there and said he would have to get back to the reporter later.

Of course even if no passengers stayed in Hawaii, many did get off the ship in each port and toured, thus possibly exposing residents to the virus.

• Like 1