Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

honestly the price of going on a cruise is really getting high...really high...the 2 week quarantine (wherever that may be) plus what some are reporting upon completing the required quarantine and returning home only to be shunned by community and some friends.  These reports were made by DP returning passengers...one woman who NEVER had the virus included.  Given we know no little about the virus this was bound to happen.

This just happened in the 55+ community my brother lives in.  One of the residents returned from China a week ago and has not been self-quarantining and using the club house and health club.  They say they do not have the virus and were not told to self-quarantine and it is creating a real ruckus with the communities residents.....shunning is definitely something I can see happening if you were on a notorious COVID-19 cruise ship.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

This just happened in the 55+ community my brother lives in.  One of the residents returned from China a week ago and has not been self-quarantining and using the club house and health club.  They say they do not have the virus and were not told to self-quarantine and it is creating a real ruckus with the communities residents.....shunning is definitely something I can see happening if you were on a notorious COVID-19 cruise ship.

they don't have a clue if they have the virus...what an attitude but happening everywhere. Self quarantine especially when it involves your income and "social" life is just not going to work.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

honestly the price of going on a cruise is really getting high...really high...the 2 week quarantine (wherever that may be) plus what some are reporting upon completing the required quarantine and returning home only to be shunned by community and some friends.  These reports were made by DP returning passengers...one woman who NEVER had the virus included.  Given we know no little about the virus this was bound to happen.

Given how many ships are out there, versus how few have actually been quarantined, that is a rather reckless statement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know not in this discussion but I have to agree with Kathy the price is getting high and then they have you hostage for any drinks. Which we like on Vacation.

We are looking at land vacations at least there we can get to a store. 

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jwattle said:

Given how many ships are out there, versus how few have actually been quarantined, that is a rather reckless statement.

anyone that goes on a cruise these days has to consider this...it would be "reckless" not to given the situation and warnings at least in the US. I it just a reality today...I hope this does not last long but the way it is.

Edited by kathy49
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, voljeep said:

HostCJ posted on another thread that a lawyer in the Miami area that routinely sues cruise lines filed the suit on behalf of the lawyers parents who are on the cruise

please correct this if wrong

The attorney who filed suit is actually the daughter of the couple. She is a personal injury attorney in Southwest Florida in Broward County.  One of the groups they sue happens to be cruise lines. 

Edited by Host CJSKIDS
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

You know not in this discussion but I have to agree with Kathy the price is getting high and then they have you hostage for any drinks. Which we like on Vacation.

The ship was not charging the passengers for anything and they zeroed out all they had bought during the sailing.  I followed some ladies who got mixed drinks delivered to their cabins. Plus how do you know if that cashier working probably minimum wage and cant afford to stay home has it or not.  It is now becoming more community spread...I have a gal at work who sits at her desk and when sick just coughs at her monitor...doesnt try to cover it at all...I would probably catch something here quicker than I would cruising. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, charmed1959 said:

For those in Canada and Nevada that are doing home isolation, what are the logistics? How do they get from the the airport to their home?  If they are being transported on public transit from the plane to their homes, are they tested first?  Or only if they show symptoms?

The Canadians off the Grand were flown directly from the ship to a Canadian Air Force base where they will be guests of the federal government for the next two weeks.  If they develop any symptoms they will be transferred to a provincial hospital.  If they are not sick at the end of the 14 days they are free to go. 

Boarder control (Federal government) only has the right to quarantine at point of entry and as long as needed to determine if someone has a disease or not.   The provincial governments have local quarantine laws that apply domestically.  

There have been Canadians that have arrived from other hot spots.  Boarder control seams to be able to identify these people before the aircraft lands.  They meet them at the door to the aircraft and do an assessment at the airport.  If they don't show symptoms reports have been they are allowed to continue but also refereed to the local provincial health authorities for follow up once they get home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, em-sk said:

The Canadians off the Grand were flown directly from the ship to a Canadian Air Force base where they will be guests of the federal government for the next two weeks.  If they develop any symptoms they will be transferred to a provincial hospital.  If they are not sick at the end of the 14 days they are free to go. 

Boarder control (Federal government) only has the right to quarantine at point of entry and as long as needed to determine if someone has a disease or not.   The provincial governments have local quarantine laws that apply domestically.  

There have been Canadians that have arrived from other hot spots.  Boarder control seams to be able to identify these people before the aircraft lands.  They meet them at the door to the aircraft and do an assessment at the airport.  If they don't show symptoms reports have been they are allowed to continue but also refereed to the local provincial health authorities for follow up once they get home. 

sounds like Canada is at least doing a bit more than US...reports are that people coming from hotspots direct or via connections face little scruitany and no follow up. But seriously what government can really follow up on every person that returns from an affected cruise or country (most of Europe has it).?

13 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

As for the other lady, I can’t imagine anyone would administer chemo to someone who may have been recently exposed to the virus. It may seen harsh but going on the cruise was not her best decision under the circumstances and timing.

Why shouldn't she have gone on the cruise ? 

1 hour ago, Reader0108598 said:

?

Were no other passengers/crew on the Grand texted beyond the initial 46(?)? 

Has anybody seen any reports of positive or (hopefully) negative tests results since then? 

Hopefully at least the crew has been tested if they are planning to keep everyone on board at sea soon. 😞

4 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

Why shouldn't she have gone on the cruise ? 

I can’t believe anyone would ask that question. 
Quite obviously, because she is a cancer patient receiving chemo which compromises her immune system and taking a cruise greatly increases her chances of catching communicable diseases including and beyond COVID-19. 
She had a chemo appointment scheduled that was dependent on getting off the ship around the scheduled time when it was known that a quarantine could delay getting off the ship from a few days to a couple of weeks (based on widely publicized Diamond Princess incident). This could affect her even if she didn’t get infected. If she did get infected, it would extremely dangerous for her. 

It would be stupid to take a cruise now if you have any kind of very critical medical appointment scheduled within 2 weeks after the cruise is supposed to be completed. 

Edited by Jaxweb
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

While we may or may not agree with mass quarantine, I thought the condition for them to be taken off the ship was that they would ALL be in quarantine sites.

And I have seen nothing that says they will not be in quarantine at two bases in California or in bases in Texas and Georgia.

The other posts about at-home quarantining have to do with local cases, not the the passengers from the Grand.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, caribill said:

And I have seen nothing that says they will not be in quarantine at two bases in California or in bases in Texas and Georgia.

The other posts about at-home quarantining have to do with local cases, not the the passengers from the Grand.

The Hot Chicken ladies on the Grand posted yesterday in a video on You Tube that they will be quarantined in their homes in Nevada. Other articles I've read in this thread said that all 49 passengers from Nevada will be quarantined in their homes.

I haven't read about any other states using in-home quarantine for their residents from the Grand, but that doesn't necessarily mean that no other states are doing this.

Edited by ChiCruiser758
  • Like 1

We have two long time friends who left the ship yesterday for what the thought was San Antonio. As it turns out, at the last minute, they were re-routed to Miramar but their luggage went to San Antonio.

Hopefully their luggage will get reunited with them today!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Grand was scheduled to dock in Seattle on 1 April for the start of the Alaska cruise season.  The Seattle Port Authority has just refused to let her dock along with the Celebrity Eclipse on 5 April.  It will be interesting to see if she is allowed to dock in Vancouver the next day.