Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

Very sad. My favorite ship. Sailed on its second Voyage in 1998 to the Baltics. The Michael Angelo Dining room....

Coming back from my shopping trip today as I drove up the overlook I saw the Grand Princess laying at anchor in the anchorage C6.

A very fine looking ship she still is. All the best to the crew that have gone home and the crew that are still manning her.

• Like 1

Yes, she is a GRAND ship and we will miss her.  Fran and I have cruise on her 26 times and have made wonderful Crew/friends for life.  Two wrote saying the Philippines are in-home Quarantine until April 12.  Supermarkets are empty and people buying everything.  Sounds like us here.  Be vigilant, we'll make it and we will be Stronger.   

Edited by Gimer
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Has there been an update to number of Grand people testing positive since the original 22 ?

i read on shipmate from a gent names raomantikcruiser who is at Travis that at their townhall meeting they had the other day they are saying of the 4000 only 37 were positive

On 3/18/2020 at 1:38 PM, Tedferg said:

Has there been an update to number of Grand people testing positive since the original 22 ?

Public Health Agency of Canada said in a statement “there are 10 confirmed cases of COVID-19 at CFB Trenton within the quarantine area. All individuals who tested positive and any close contacts will remain in isolation.”

There are 200+ in quarantine.

Or a death from a Grand Princess passenger. Princess did not cause the pandemic. It doesn't even seem right that someone can sue them for having the global pandemic affect passengers

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Wizpharm2 said:

This website is reporting a death.

6F7E7289-1DC8-406A-ABCB-D096B9DE5813.png

15 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Could that 1 death be the original passenger who died in Placer county?  As it is only showing 22 positive...there was the 1 gentleman who died which began the quarantine of the ship and 21 when it docked. 

I live in Contra Costa County, across the bay from SF, and they’ve announced The first death today In our county from Covid. 
I know that we had some passengers from the Diamond in our hospitals that had been transferred from Travis AFB. 
It’s quite possible we could have passengers from the Grand here, too, especially since Oakland/Alameda County is not too far away.

2 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

I live in Contra Costa County, across the bay from SF, and they’ve announced The first death today In our county from Covid. 
I know that we had some passengers from the Diamond in our hospitals that had been transferred from Travis AFB. 
It’s quite possible we could have passengers from the Grand here, too, especially since Oakland/Alameda County is not too far away.

Sadly you are obsessing over the tip of the iceberg, there will be thousands of deaths in CA in a month or so, hopefully the shelter at home will cases and deaths to roll over in four weeks, but I expect cases to climb for another three weeks and deaths to grow for another 5 weeks.   

2 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Sadly you are obsessing over the tip of the iceberg, there will be thousands of deaths in CA in a month or so, hopefully the shelter at home will cases and deaths to roll over in four weeks, but I expect cases to climb for another three weeks and deaths to grow for another 5 weeks.   

If this makes it's way in to the homeless population or infects the immune compromised then possibly yes.

Interesting article regarding passengers choosing not to be tested  https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEN0qPv-qPtBHbPkvKChqWfYqGAgEKg8IACoHCAowhK-LAjD4ySww69W0BQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Last report I read said there were 19 from the ship (up from 2) currently in Monterey at Asilomar CA state conference grounds.

ETA link & it looks like there are now 21 at Asilomar https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/18/21-passengers-now-at-asilomar-showing-mild-symptoms-of-covid-19/

Officials won’t confirm it - but it appears they’ve chosen to house COVID-19 positives not needing hospital care from the ship at Asilomar. They’ve fenced off part of the grounds.

Edited by sndral

45 minutes ago, sndral said:

Interesting article regarding passengers choosing not to be tested  https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEN0qPv-qPtBHbPkvKChqWfYqGAgEKg8IACoHCAowhK-LAjD4ySww69W0BQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Last report I read said there were 19 from the ship (up from 2) currently in Monterey at Asilomar CA state conference grounds.

ETA link & it looks like there are now 21 at Asilomar https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/18/21-passengers-now-at-asilomar-showing-mild-symptoms-of-covid-19/

Officials won’t confirm it - but it appears they’ve chosen to house COVID-19 positives not needing hospital care from the ship at Asilomar. They’ve fenced off part of the grounds.

I can't say if I blame them.  There are many many many people in the Bay Area now that are walking around that would test positive.  Since, there is is 'shelter in place' order, there's really  not a lot of places to go around infecting others anyway.  Even the hospitals and medical centers are sending patients that have tested positive but not sick enough for hospitalization home for self isolation.  These people are asymptomatic and just want to go home.  I'm pretty sure they are no more of a threat than our neighbors in the community.  I am referring to those asymptomatic patients that don't want to be tested.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

I can't say if I blame them.  There are many many many people in the Bay Area now that are walking around that would test positive.  Since, there is is 'shelter in place' order, there's really  not a lot of places to go around infecting others anyway.  Even the hospitals and medical centers are sending patients that have tested positive but not sick enough for hospitalization home for self isolation.  These people are asymptomatic and just want to go home.  I'm pretty sure they are no more of a threat than our neighbors in the community.  I am referring to those asymptomatic patients that don't want to be tested.  

Testing w/o a comprehensive system of containment is just statistics for the sake of statistics.  The news media is fascinated with the growing number ( not a surprise ), kits are become more numerous and most people lining up are probably higher probability for positive as they have either symptoms or contact that makes them wait in those crazy queues.

Sadly US has neither the number of tests nor any central controlled methodology for testing, follow-up, containment like being so effectively implemented in So Korea, Taiwan and Singapore.    

But there will be very simple statistic that will be used in three weeks, deaths, similar to Italy.   Expect also very high death rates as the testing will be focused on the most ill/worried/highest risk and not systematic across a larger sampling of those at risk to have gotten it or transmitting it.  

Sad, as the richest country we have the poorest response and preparedness. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sndral said:

There are also a number at an hotel in San Carlos, California.

https://www.smdailyjournal.com/coronavirus/owner-of-san-carlos-hotel-housing-cruise-ship-passengers-offered/article_a7ba17ac-64e3-11ea-ad09-2701172a591a.html

Edited by brisalta

35 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Testing w/o a comprehensive system of containment is just statistics for the sake of statistics.  The news media is fascinated with the growing number ( not a surprise ), kits are become more numerous and most people lining up are probably higher probability for positive as they have either symptoms or contact that makes them wait in those crazy queues.

Sadly US has neither the number of tests nor any central controlled methodology for testing, follow-up, containment like being so effectively implemented in So Korea, Taiwan and Singapore.    

But there will be very simple statistic that will be used in three weeks, deaths, similar to Italy.   Expect also very high death rates as the testing will be focused on the most ill/worried/highest risk and not systematic across a larger sampling of those at risk to have gotten it or transmitting it.  

Sad, as the richest country we have the poorest response and preparedness. 

Without testing you cannot do any decent tracing of contacts or statistics for prediction based planning.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chipmaster said:

I am not obsessing over anything.  I merely replied to someone else’s post.  

As an aside, I am on day four of sheltering, since we were all put under a shelter in place on Monday, until it went statewide yesterday. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sndral said:

Unless there are symptoms, testing in the middle of a two week quarantine is meaningless.

The only way to be sure symptomless people do not have the virus is to test them at the end of the 14 day period by which it is assumed a negative test at that time means the person is not infected.

Testing earlier in the 14 day period when the virus might not be able to be detected is no guarantee of a virus free individual at the end of the two weeks.

It would mean that persons so tested will have to stay in quarantine until the test results are back. This could mean an extra day or two before being able to return home.

-------

Americans returning home from another cruise ship (not Princess) were subjected to many of the same problems that occurred when the Diamond Princess Americans were flown back to the USA.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/world/coronavirus-news-usa-world.html#link-66bd4fa7

• Like 1

It's 10 days now since 228 Grand Princess guests were quarantined at Canadian Forces Base Trenton.  Today an additional infected case was reported bringing the total infected to 13 so far.  It's getting close to the end of the 14-day quarantine so hopefully there will be no more positive cases.

Isn't it a double standard that these cruise guests are subjected to strict quarantine while passengers entering through airports and land crossings at that same time are just told to self monitor for 14 days and able to transmit infections into the community that have since been confirmed by tracing of cases.  

• Like 1