Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

23 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Local news here in SF showed Governor Newsom addressing the issue and apparently the ship will not be allowed to dock until everyone is tested with kits that are to be provided to the ship.

Test kits are still not readily available despite what the government is saying, especially enough to test 2500 passengers and crew.  There have only been about 150 tests performed in the US so how are they going to suddenly test 2500+ .  This is going to be another dilemma there will be asymptomatic passengers who are + when they are eventually tested and what happens?  Do they just let them off the ship into the community?  The only good thing is that they're not in Japan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

First and foremost, praying those aboard the Grand Princess are healthy and no coronavirus is found. 

It sure seems like the disinfection and cleaning measures in place onboard Princess ships is failing to keep the ship free of these pathogens. I would like to see some executive leadership accept responsibility for these failures once all of this is behind us. The crew and frontline employees are bearing the brunt of these debacles, and it is ultimately the execs who are responsible for ensuring the health and safety of all those working and vacationing onboard Princess ships. 

If the cruise industry is failing to fill the ships, they should look within for the answers. This isn't the first communicable illness situation involving cruise ships, and they should have had better prevention measures in place at the first sign of trouble. Princess and the other lines claim they sanitize and disinfect the ships multiple times a day. Evidently not!

44 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Local news here in SF showed Governor Newsom addressing the issue and apparently the ship will not be allowed to dock until everyone is tested with kits that are to be provided to the ship.

That is not what the governor said.      He said test kits were being flown to he ship for those with symptoms and for those who were on the prior Mexican cruise.  He did not  say that they could not dock until everyone was tested. 

Edited by tcdcruiser
  • Like 5

Oh my- i am quite sure the clean and sanatize good and well on board ships these days in particular. If a person is infected and spreads the virus they can dissinfect as hard as they can- it does not prevent the virus to be catched by passengers who are in close contact with the infected. So I do not blame the cruise lines!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, shastatroy said:

So the question I have is, was a crew member from the Diamond relocated to the Grand?

Interesting thought,  but I thought those folks got 2 months off with pay? 

Governor Newsom’s  next plan depends on test results.  I also heard him say test  those with the symptoms and those on the previous Mexican Cruise.  If the Grand  is right off the coast then the flight to the lab Or landing area in Richmond wilL be quick. 

Edited by milolii
Spelling

I posted this in another topic, but I know when we were on the Emerald a couple of weeks ago, some entertainers (mainly singers) joined the sailing part way through. I wonder if these people could unknowingly pass viruses from ship to ship. I also would like to know if any of our singers had previously been on the Diamond or the Grand. 

34 minutes ago, spyro1952 said:

Test kits are still not readily available despite what the government is saying, especially enough to test 2500 passengers and crew

The governor claims they have 5000 test kits available now

21 minutes ago, tcdcruiser said:

He said test kits were being flown to he ship for those with symptoms and for those who were on the prior Mexican cruise.  He did not  say that they could not dock until everyone was tested. 

Obviously those passengers should be tested first but if any one of those come back positive, how else could you determine which of the other 2500 others have been exposed and are positive but not symptomatic at present. Once they are off the ship and then test positive, good luck chasing everyone they flew with on the plane, etc, etc.

All crew from the Diamond were given 2 months of paid time off after leaving quarantine. However, it is possible that some crew could have signed off when the ship was in Hong Kong way back when Cruise Passenger 0 got off the ship and before the ship went into quarantine, in which case those crew could have conceivably been moved to another ship. I’d think if that happened, Princess would have pulled those crew members off, though, and sent them home immediately once Coronavirus was detected on the ship. 

17 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

The governor claims they have 5000 test kits available now

Obviously those passengers should be tested first but if any one of those come back positive, how else could you determine which of the other 2500 others have been exposed and are positive but not symptomatic at present. Once they are off the ship and then test positive, good luck chasing everyone they flew with on the plane, etc, etc.

Each test kit can be used to test 300 samples.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spyro1952 said:

Test kits are still not readily available despite what the government is saying, especially enough to test 2500 passengers and crew.  There have only been about 150 tests performed in the US so how are they going to suddenly test 2500+ .  This is going to be another dilemma there will be asymptomatic passengers who are + when they are eventually tested and what happens?  Do they just let them off the ship into the community?  The only good thing is that they're not in Japan.

Arizona, like many states have set up their own testing. In AZ they have the capability to test 450 people a day. The test gives same day results if done before noon. CA must have a much higher capacity than AZ as the state is much bigger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sailingskyward said:

First and foremost, praying those aboard the Grand Princess are healthy and no coronavirus is found. 

It sure seems like the disinfection and cleaning measures in place onboard Princess ships is failing to keep the ship free of these pathogens. I would like to see some executive leadership accept responsibility for these failures once all of this is behind us. The crew and frontline employees are bearing the brunt of these debacles, and it is ultimately the execs who are responsible for ensuring the health and safety of all those working and vacationing onboard Princess ships. 

If the cruise industry is failing to fill the ships, they should look within for the answers. This isn't the first communicable illness situation involving cruise ships, and they should have had better prevention measures in place at the first sign of trouble. Princess and the other lines claim they sanitize and disinfect the ships multiple times a day. Evidently not!

It is one thing to clean and sanitize hard surfaces but when it comes to soft surfaces like fabric chairs, curtains, beds, pillows it is not that easy.  Mattresses especially.  Bedding can we washed but mattresses should be sealed and treated under pressure and I rather doubt this is done on any regular basis.

• Like 2

Again happy I took the hit and cancelled our cruise last week to the Caribbean. It is too risky in this time to be on a cruise ship. Why as I asked before, is it Princess that seems to have these issues?  My husband got deathly ill last year after a Caribbean cruise on the  Regal. Ended up in hospital for over a week. Never identified the pathogen but treated it like pneumonia.   Reports are 11 passengers and 10 crew are showing symptoms.  This is SERIOUS.   I am probably going to take a $5000 hit by not rebooking but at this time I highly doubt I will travel on a Princess ship again.  As it is now,  we would have to book before the end of next year and that was only after taking a 25 per cent fare hit since we had a Vista suite. 

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

In the news conference he said as of this morning there were 500 something test kits available in California as of this morning, and they are getting more every day. So whatever they sent to the ship is not enough for everyone. 

Edited by jennybenny

If I was on the Grand Princess right now, I'd be getting some bottled water/drinks and snacks for the room. Given what happened on the Diamond Princess, it wouldn't surprise me if folks ended up restricted to cabins for a day or part of it if any of the tests turn out positive. 

• Like 2

Just now, arabrab said:

If I was on the Grand Princess right now, I'd be getting some bottled water/drinks and snacks for the room. Given what happened on the Diamond Princess, it wouldn't surprise me if folks ended up restricted to cabins for a day or part of it if any of the tests turn out positive. 

Water? I’d be hitting the closest bar for some bottles of wine. 😎. Agree on the confinement. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

In the news conference he said as of this morning there were 500 something test kits available in California as of this morning

I am 99.9% sure he said 5000 (not 500) because as he said it I jokingly said to myself that 2500 of those 5000 will go to the Grand.

If, as brisalta said, that each kit can test 300 samples then even 500 would be enough.

Edited by Paulchili

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I am 99.9% sure he said 5000 (not 500) because as he said it I jokingly said to myself that 2500 of those 5000 will go to the Grand.

OK, we heard it differently. In the end, it's not enough for a state with almost 40 million people. 

http://worldpopulationreview.com/states/california-population/

Edited by jennybenny