Making WiFi calls with iPhone using voom surf and stream on Freedom

We will be cruising on Freedom beginning March 15 and have purchased the voom surf and stream package. Will we be able to  use that to make WiFi calls back to the states or do we need to purchase a cruise calling package through AT&T?   Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The AT&T internation plan that is $10/24 hours does not work from the ship but the voom wifi works. If you want to use the international plan from the islands or countries make sure you add it to your plan before you leave home. Called AT&T to confirm this when I had a problem with an excursion in Bonaire a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, tanderine said:

We will be cruising on Freedom beginning March 15 and have purchased the voom surf and stream package. Will we be able to  use that to make WiFi calls back to the states or do we need to purchase a cruise calling package through AT&T?   Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

if you purchase the WiFi package.... put your phone on airplane mode and turn on WiFi calling you should be able to use your phone just as you would from home.

We do this on every cruise...

Yes, purchase ships WiFi  unless you are planning to stream video, if not, the surf plan will work for you.  Just make sure you set up your cell WiFi before you get on the ship. I tried mine out at home by calling my husbands cell and it worked just fine.

Just don’t forget to put your cell in airplane mode before you sail away. 

I have AT&T, get the Internet free. I put my iPhone on airplane mode. 
My daughter called me from Italy when I was in the Caribbean. 
No problems. We were at sea that day. 
We did FaceTime 

Edited by scorpluvsdolphins
Forgot to say FaceTime

46 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Freedom has had O3B internet for a year +.

Great to hear.  We are on her next January so I will watch for "sales"😉 on the internet package. Knowing this there is a possibility for a live review.

It amazes me what an underrated invention wi-fi was.  We really seem to take it for granted.

We have used FaceBook messenger to communicate on board and now can even call home from the middle of the ocean.

On a side note. Does anybody even try to used walkie-talkies any more?  Never heard a single success story. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tanderine said:

Will we be able to  use that to make WiFi calls back to the states

I was on Freedom last May, and used Voom multiple times for calls.  I only had a few intermittent issues with voice quality, and never had a call dropped.

--bruce T.