Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
capriccio

Captain the Last to Leave the Diamond Princess

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

There is a very nice write-up in the Washington Post at 6:37 this evening (https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/02/coronavirus-live-updates/#link-6C3HH4CT3JE3LCWOJKVAIT7VIY).  It begins with and includes additional information on Captain Arma:

 

With his uniform on, bag packed and mask secured, Gennaro Arma, 44, disembarked from the Diamond Princess on Sunday. The captain was the last member of the crew to step off the ship after a coronavirus outbreak sparked an international drama that kept thousands of passengers on board and in quarantine.

“He is a hero in our eyes,” Princess Cruises tweeted, alongside a photo of the captain walking away from the ship docked in Yokohama, Japan.

 

Image
Edited by capriccio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...who is onboard now keeping those lights on? I mean i'm sure they've arranged a replacement skeleton crew to keep the ship alive and start a cleanup/sanitization process before returning to service but curious how that will work.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, capriccio said:

There is a very nice write-up in the Washington Post at 6:37 this evening (https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/02/coronavirus-live-updates/#link-6C3HH4CT3JE3LCWOJKVAIT7VIY).  It begins with and includes additional information on Captain Arma:

 

With his uniform on, bag packed and mask secured, Gennaro Arma, 44, disembarked from the Diamond Princess on Sunday. The captain was the last member of the crew to step off the ship after a coronavirus outbreak sparked an international drama that kept thousands of passengers on board and in quarantine.

“He is a hero in our eyes,” Princess Cruises tweeted, alongside a photo of the captain walking away from the ship docked in Yokohama, Japan.

 

 

Thank you for posting this.

That's a very powerful and touching photo. He is indeed a hero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, capriccio said:

There is a very nice write-up in the Washington Post at 6:37 this evening (https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/02/coronavirus-live-updates/#link-6C3HH4CT3JE3LCWOJKVAIT7VIY).  It begins with and includes additional information on Captain Arma:

 

With his uniform on, bag packed and mask secured, Gennaro Arma, 44, disembarked from the Diamond Princess on Sunday. The captain was the last member of the crew to step off the ship after a coronavirus outbreak sparked an international drama that kept thousands of passengers on board and in quarantine.

“He is a hero in our eyes,” Princess Cruises tweeted, alongside a photo of the captain walking away from the ship docked in Yokohama, Japan.

 

Image


Good for you Captain on a job well done. Princess should be very proud of you!!! 
Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Btj301 said:

So...who is onboard now keeping those lights on? I mean i'm sure they've arranged a replacement skeleton crew to keep the ship alive and start a cleanup/sanitization process before returning to service but curious how that will work.  

That would be up to Princess and the Japanese Health Department.  The Captain stayed on board to make sure all his passengers and crew were safely off the ship. That is his duty to the ship and the company.  Great job Captain for upholding the true image and standards of your position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s an amazing image!!
The Captain and his crew on the ship have raised the bar for all. Godspeed and I hope you all get home safely and enjoy your so well deserved time off. Makes me proud to cruise Princess. 

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BRAVO!! Captain Arma. For those of us following your journey, passengers and crew through this ordeal just wanted to say thank you for being so honorable. Well done captain!                   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, capriccio, for posting this.  It isn't often that we get to read something so nice, so good.   Muchas gracias.  🙂🌈🌠🌅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brava Capatain Arma, we salute you and your crew!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good tradition well kept. Now to get the bug killer disinfection done. I guess The Diamond will be the cleanest ship in the fleet for awhile, wish it was in Europe I'd be the first to book.😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Ron the Rev said:

Good tradition well kept. Now to get the bug killer disinfection done. I guess The Diamond will be the cleanest ship in the fleet for awhile, wish it was in Europe I'd be the first to book.😍

 

Who knows, it might be in Europe in the summer!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

👍👍👍🙌🙌🙌🙌👍👍👍👍👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is such a sweet and moving pic! Thank you for posting, and the article too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a staged photo op.

 

Certainly, there will be a minimum manning crew onboard at all times.

 

...just to handle emergencies, like a fire.

 

This post mentions the 'relief master' who will join.

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2730905-diamond-princess-passenger-tested-positive-for-wuhan-coronavirus/?do=findComment&comment=59468856

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

Seems like a staged photo op.

 

Certainly, there will be a minimum manning crew onboard at all times.

 

...just to handle emergencies, like a fire.

 

This post mentions the 'relief master' who will join.

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2730905-diamond-princess-passenger-tested-positive-for-wuhan-coronavirus/?do=findComment&comment=59468856

 

If the Captain pictured was the last person on the ship, then the next person, regardless of who it was, that walked on that ship would own it.  You are correct, the lights are still on, so there are some engineers onboard, and there will be security people for fire watch, and then the crew to start the cleaning and for the move to the place where the month long "disinfecting" will be done.

 

The Captain was the last of the quarantined to leave the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If the Captain pictured was the last person on the ship, then the next person, regardless of who it was, that walked on that ship would own it.  You are correct, the lights are still on, so there are some engineers onboard, and there will be security people for fire watch, and then the crew to start the cleaning and for the move to the place where the month long "disinfecting" will be done.

 

The Captain was the last of the quarantined to leave the ship.

 

Thank you.  I always appreciate your replies.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

If the Captain pictured was the last person on the ship, then the next person, regardless of who it was, that walked on that ship would own it.

 

The intricacies of maritime law.. Wouldn't that only count if you find an abandoned ship at sea? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AmazedByCruising said:

 

The intricacies of maritime law.. Wouldn't that only count if you find an abandoned ship at sea? 

Nope.  And, if they left the vessel operating without the required minimum crew, without clearance from the flag state, they could be detained by the Japanese.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Captain deserves many full glasses of his favorite Italian wine when he gets home.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

CNN has the following nice post online:

 

Thanks for posting this, Jenny.  Very nice article indeed.  Refreshing to read some "good" news for a change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

 

A suggestion for Carnival Corporation and Princess Cruises:  This gentleman ought to be invited to this year's Carnival Corporation's Annual Shareholder Meeting to be honored for his service.  He deserves a standing ovation from the Board of Directors, the Executives, and the Shareholders.  

 

If Princess Cruises still has the position of Commodore of the Fleet, Captain Arma has earned that honor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...