Cruise Critic Community
babydaryl24

Nationwide Cruise Choice : Medical

Posted (edited)

We sail from Venice on May 24th. Mediterranean through Norwegian.  I have two medical issues in the family at play right now. My husband is in need of another laminectomy. After he had a knee scope in December, his change in stature/posture has  inflamed his stenosis in his back... I do not think he could handle the flight to Venice. I also do not think he could handle being kept in a room on the off chance that we end up quarantined at some point because of embarkation in Italy.

Additionally, my mother is on a wait list for an aorta valve replacement through the Cleveland Clinic. She is on a wait list there because she wants it to be done through her groin... and they specialize. She will need care. This has happened in the last week or so.....

Since we need proof of both, and I can provide proof of both, which claim would be more likely to be covered?

What is the medical claim cancellation process like?

What proof will I need to get? How will my mother's HIPPA rights play into it?

THANKS!

Edited by babydaryl24

https://travel.nationwide.com/plans/cruise

As the page says, the most important thing it says is:

Please note that not all coverage is available in all states. See your Certificate of Coverage for details.

We don't know when you initially purchased the policy.

We don't know if you have CFAR coverage

We don't know what state you reside in

We don't know if your policy waived pre-existing conditions

We don't know what your policies definition of a family member is

We don't know if your policy. covers family member not traveling with you

You're asking some tough questions without providing any required details.

What can I say.

HIPPA - All parties involved are going to have to waive their HIPPA rights and allow the insurance companies to investigate and ask questions of any and all parties about alleged claims. To include physicains, hospitals, treatments, treatment plans, etc.

At the end of the day, the insurance company is going to REQUIRE an official letter from the head treating physician that in their professional opinion, each person covered in the policy is not in a medical condition that they can travel and/or should not travel.

Also note that in their investigation they determine that on the day the policy was purchased, so and so was not in a condition that was considered "fit for travel", they could void the entire policy.

All good points, klfrodo.  Just one thing to add:  It's HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act), not HIPPA.  Interestingly enough, the word Privacy is not even in the name of the act.

Call Nationwide and ask them.  Their people are very helpful.