Important! New Tahiti health requirements for arriving passengers.

Petoonya

In light of COVID-19 the French Polynesian health department has issued a new requirement. Has to be dated at least 5 days previous to flight.

Website and text (in French)

https://www.presidence.pf/evolution-des-mesures-prises-par-le-gouvernement-pour-eviter-lintroduction-du-covid-19-coronavirus-en-polynesie-francaise/

https://www.service-public.pf/dsp/covid-19/

As of March 2, 2020, every person (including flight personnel) must present on board a flight to French Polynesia, a medical certificate certifying the state of health free of any sign of infection at coronaviruses.

Edited by Petoonya

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

In light of COVID-19 the French Polynesian health department has issued a new requirement. Has to be dated at least 5 days previous to flight.

Website and text (in French)

https://www.presidence.pf/evolution-des-mesures-prises-par-le-gouvernement-pour-eviter-lintroduction-du-covid-19-coronavirus-en-polynesie-francaise/

https://www.service-public.pf/dsp/covid-19/

As of March 2, 2020, every person (including flight personnel) must present on board a flight to French Polynesia, a medical certificate certifying the state of health free of any sign of infection at coronaviruses.

Bummer for those that are leaving today  ..... but there are 3 24 hour urgent care places around LAX. 

I heard yesterday and already have a doctors appointment for today.

From Susiesan Oceania board:

Just showed up on Air Tahiti Nui web site:

Before boarding a flight into French Polynesia, all passengers regardless of their nationality must necessarily present a medical certificate not older than 5 days certifying the traveller’s health condition, regardless of their port of embarkation.

https://www.airtahitinui.com/us-en/reinforcement-precautionary-measures-taken-french-polynesian-government

Has to be five days before arrival. Are you leaving before five days TBK?

2 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Bummer for those that are leaving today  ..... but there are 3 24 hour urgent care places around LAX. 

I heard yesterday and already have a doctors appointment for today.

54 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Before boarding a flight into French Polynesia, all passengers regardless of their nationality must necessarily present a medical certificate not older than 5 days certifying the traveller’s health condition, regardless of their port of embarkation.

https://www.airtahitinui.com/us-en/reinforcement-precautionary-measures-taken-french-polynesian-government

I did receive a written notice that no note will be required to board ATN flights until Saturday March 7th.

"Thank you for your message.
For your flight on Friday, as long as you have not traveled to Asia this year, you are safe.
If you can get a doctor's note, then it is better, but you will be allowed to travel without the note for your trip.

Thank you,
Kind Regards,"

10 minutes ago, Sighteer Sam said:

What if your Dr won’t give you a note due to liability concerns. Friends leaving Saturday

Can't answer you on that. We're all flying by the seat of our pants on a daily basis as the situation is so fluid. I'm no authority. I'm an RN and my doc has no qualms about OK-ing my lungs, temp and general health and documenting it. Whether that's going to be enough is up to the government of Fr. Polynesia.

19 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I did receive a written notice that no note will be required to board ATN flights until Saturday March 7.

If I were you TBK I'd still have something from a health provider to be safe. Authorities are doing face to face checks on arrival and my guess it'd be a whole lot easier to get through that with  medical documentation. Not that it matters! Who knows if we're carrying it. This is a lot of "best you determine" guessing on everyone's part.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by Petoonya

29 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Can't answer you on that. We're all flying by the seat of our pants on a daily basis as the situation is so fluid. I'm no authority. I'm an RN and my doc has no qualms about OK-ing my lungs, temp and general health and documenting it. Whether that's going to be enough is up to the government of Fr. Polynesia.

If I were you TBK I'd still have something from a health provider to be safe. Authorities are doing face to face checks on arrival and my guess it'd be a whole lot easier to get through that with  medical documentation. Not that it matters! Who knows if we're carrying it. This is a lot of "best you determine" guessing on everyone's part.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Obviously the French Polynesian government has made the airlines the enforcement people of the policy. ATN figured that it would be next to impossible for those flying out over the next several days to see a doctor for a note, thus the exception. I've had three communications with ATN this morning with one in writing  .... each communication gave same info, no note required until after the March 6th flight TN 101.

I'm sure PG will be confirming and updating sometime today ... if it changes I'll get my 'note'. Strange that you are being required to go where sick people are to get a note that your not sick, sounds counter productive.

Coronavirus_Travel_Policies_of_Air_Tahiti_Nui_The_Americas.cleaned.docx.pdf

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

I wonder what will happen with ships due in over the next few days. I think the Regatta is currently in Bora Bora, so I am guessing they were allowed in without any documentation. The Maasdam is on it's way to French Polynesia as well.

1 hour ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Strange that you are being required to go where sick people are to get a note that your not sick, sounds counter productive.

Coronavirus_Travel_Policies_of_Air_Tahiti_Nui_The_Americas.cleaned.docx.pdf 187.06 kB · 1 download

Makes sense that an affidavit would not be required immediately.

But about governments requiring you to get one.....honestly I don't think any government gives a hoot about how a foreigner chooses to get medical care or if they get sick doing  so. Polynesia faces a potential disaster for their own people, with incredibly limited medical care. You supporting the economy doesn't matter either. I understand where they might feel that if you get sick it's your problem. And if you're sick getting off the plane or boarding the ship you're just screwed.

Just don't breathe if you go to the doc or an urgent care, and take a shower when you get home!

And bring lots of tylenol, ibuprofen, sudafed and throat lozenges on your trip.

Unfortunately for someone like me who is cruising next month I think this could be stage one of not allowing foreigners at all. But as I've stated before I'm a worrier. Things may turn out just fine.

52 minutes ago, debsjc said:

I wonder what will happen with ships due in over the next few days. I think the Regatta is currently in Bora Bora, so I am guessing they were allowed in without any documentation. The Maasdam is on it's way to French Polynesia as well.

Yes Deb. Terry in Ohio has a great blog on the O board that you've probably seen. When they arrived in Papeete each passenger had a thorough face to face interview with Polynesian authorities a few days ago. Alerted me to the idea that things would change rapidly and medical affidavits soon be required. The fact that people may be carrying the virus or faking affidavits can't be lost on Polynesian officials, but it's probably the best they can do for the moment risky as it is for them. Again the worrier in me fears denial of entry is next step. I'm half way packed!

Yes it will be very interesting what happens to the Maasdam! Lots more people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

Yes Deb. Terry in Ohio has a great blog on the O board that you've probably seen. When they arrived in Papeete each passenger had a thorough face to face interview with Polynesian authorities a few days ago. Alerted me to the idea that things would change rapidly and medical affidavits soon be required. The fact that people may be carrying the virus or faking affidavits can't be lost on Polynesian officials, but it's probably the best they can do for the moment risky as it is for them. Again the worrier in me fears denial of entry is next step. I'm half way packed!

Yes it will be very interesting what happens to the Maasdam! Lots more people.

Wow, that must have taken ages to interview over 500 passengers (if the ship was full) ....on the Emerald Princess it would have been impossible! 

I'll check out Terry's blog, I think I have read it in the past. 

6 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Why did you leave out the additional information in your alarming post  regarding that this only applies to those having visited the listed Asian countries ?

As I type this all the updated current  airlines (United , Delta & Hawiian Air)advisories  I  checked that fly to PPT mirror the Tahitian Air advisory, and none state that this applies to any  other category of passengers . Your web-sit reference in French is only from the French Polynesian Health department, which has, apparently based on current information so far not been adopted by the any of the governing authorities in charge of actual passenger airport arrivals at PPT

Deep Breaths before posting -- Please !

26 minutes ago, srpilo said:

Why did you leave out the additional information in your alarming post  regarding that this only applies to those having visited the listed Asian countries ?

As I type this all the updated current  airlines (United , Delta & Hawiian Air)advisories  I  checked that fly to PPT mirror the Tahitian Air advisory, and none state that this applies to any  other category of passengers . Your web-sit reference in French is only from the French Polynesian Health department, which has, apparently based on current information so far not been adopted by the any of the governing authorities in charge of actual passenger airport arrivals at PPT

Deep Breaths before posting -- Please !

The policy changed this morning  .... no foul intended by the OP. Everything is in flux and everyone is being advised to check the appropriate web pages connected with their trip on a daily basis. 

13 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

The policy changed this morning  .... no foul intended by the OP. Everything is in flux and everyone is being advised to check the appropriate web pages connected with their trip on a daily basis. 

Of course no foul

But all should remember that along with being one of the "respected destination experts" that like yourself and the OP , and every CC destination board that has them, and are 99% of the time appreciated , but along with that comes responsibility, and a 100 great and helpful posts can be tarnished by one bad one. I think we can all agree that when it comes to traveling  in these nervous and uncertain times , that great care should be given before online posting uncertain rumor's and spreading mis-information whether intentional or not.

There's enough anxiety going around already...

7 minutes ago, srpilo said:

Of course no foul

But all should remember that along with being one of the "respected destination experts" that like yourself and the OP , and every CC destination board that has them, and are 99% of the time appreciated , but along with that comes responsibility, and a 100 great and helpful posts can be tarnished by one bad one. I think we can all agree that when it comes to traveling  in these nervous and uncertain times , that great care should be given before online posting uncertain rumor's and spreading mis-information whether intentional or not.

I never gave mis-information 😉

1 hour ago, srpilo said:

Of course no foul

No TBK never gave this "misinformation". If something changed or was not adopted by airport authorities when the following was released yesterday 3/2/2020, than I was unaware. I have a Papeete contact who sent me this from the health department early this morning.

https://www.service-public.pf/dsp/covid-19/voyageurs-covid-19/

Check the English translation. If it takes few days to be attended to at Faaa airport then I'd sure want to be one to know about it since I arrive there in a month, and friends who arrive Sunday who are six steps ahead of me in following this. They have determined from ATN that they will need an affidavit.

If I am wrong, I'll promptly admit so and quit being a "respected authority" of which I'm not.

Edited by Petoonya

5 hours ago, Sighteer Sam said:

My friend said this was on Air Tahiti this afternoon as they have changed their policy.  The letter is only required if you've visited the specified countries.  She called Air Tahiti to confirm.  

43F5AC79-9376-43E3-A4C7-F51817A9F621.jpeg

I would recommend you read the government's advisory rather than the airline. They may get you there but the government is the ones that will let you leave the airport. Here is their advisory stating otherwise. Also the airlines react to the government advisory, not the other way around.

coronavirus.JPG

Thanks for your input FamilyAdventuring. Yes it is the government health board who calls the shots. It's the airlines who follow suit and I'm guessing the airlines are given a few days leeway to put things in place.

I'm no *authority* on Tahiti. But I've been there a lot.

Yes Srpilo, we can ALL take a deep breath. These are stressful travel times but I prefer to be a leg up on my travel plans.

As I said from the beginning things are in flux and likely the government policy will be adopted soon by ATN  .... my guess is ATN has been given some lead-way by the FP government as to when to enforce it .... after all the FP government owns 84.4% of ATN.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

I’m just going to add that I personally called Air Tahiti in LAX where I’ll be leaving from yesterday and was told had to have certificate or can not fly, that’s good enough for me. Just saying.

15 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks for your input FamilyAdventuring. Yes it is the government health board who calls the shots. It's the airlines who follow suit and I'm guessing the airlines are given a few days leeway to put things in place.

I'm no *authority* on Tahiti. But I've been there a lot.

Yes Srpilo, we can ALL take a deep breath. These are stressful travel times but I prefer to be a leg up on my travel plans.

Petoonya

email me: tahitianbigkahuna@gmail.com

Here is what is on the Delta website regarding French Polynesia: 

FRENCH POLYNESIA - published 04.03.2020

Passengers and airline crew who have been in Cambodia, China (People's Rep.), Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong (SAR China), India, Iran, Italy (Emilia-Romangna, Lombardy and Veneto regions), Japan, Korea (Rep.), Macao (SAR China), Malaysia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Philippines or Viet Nam in the past 30 days must have a medical certificate, dated from maximum 5 days before their arrival in French Polynesia. The medical certificate must confirm that the passenger is free from Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Below is the link to this document which sites the travel restrictions to many countries: 

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm