Encore Beach Day - Tortola or St. Thomas?

helloxxannie

Hi All!

I'm cruising on the Encore on March 29th and I wanted to do a beach day at one of the ports. For those who have sailed this itinerary before (or have been to either port) - would you pick a beach day in Tortola or St Thomas? I'm also open to beach suggestions :) 

I was in both on a CCL. Other than the shops and a snorkeling excursion, I did not go to a beach in St Thomas. I did however go to the Virgin Gorda Bath's in Tortola, which is my favorite beach of all time. Absolutely surreal. The only downside (not for me, for the wife) was the ferry to Tortola was pretty rough (I thought it was fun, but there were a few green folks).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

I would do a beach day in St Thomas and then to the excursion to The Baths in Tortola.  

Agreed. For a beach day on St Thomas we prefer Sapphire Beach to Magen's Bay.

• Like 1

We just returned from the Encore 3/1/20. In Tortola, we took the Rebel Yell excursion to White Bay on Jost Van Dyke ( you can also do it on your own via the ferry)..absolutely gorgeous and may restaurants/bars with free chairs to use.  Also the famous Soggy Dollar Bar with the Painkillers!

• Like 1

Long Bay Beach in Tortola gets my vote.  We normally go to St John at St Thomas but stayed on St Thomas and did the Saphire Beach resort.  It was nice but we just loved Long Bay Beach in Tortola.  Very similar to St John beaches... soft, packed white sand.   Those other beaches in Tortola and St Thomas (Megans Bay) just are too packed with tourists.  They key to a great beach day IMHO is not just the beach but the tranqulity of the beach which is why I avoid the baths and White Bay.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

Agree TOTALLY with rd4sun!  As the Rebel Yell to Jost Van Dyke is our very favorite beach EVER!  And we have been travelling beaches in the Caribbean and Mexico for 35 years now.  St. Thomas is beautiful but NO comparison!  And if you do go....tell Claudia (skipper for the Rebel Yell) that you heard how great her excursion was from the man who left his cell phone on the beach last October!  She was such a sport that she even turned around and went BACK to retrieve it for him!

Really though.....the beach and water is out of this WORLD!  It is really worlds above any beach in St. Thomas.....only problem is that it is NOT long enough a stay......

• Like 1

Jost van Dyke -- hands down the most beautiful beach we've ever been to.  Crystal clear water, soft white sand, and (if it's back) the best Painkillers at Soggy Dollar Bar!  

• Like 1

Thanks so much to everyone for their input! 

For those who suggested the Rebel Yell to Jost Van Dyke excursion - how was the ferry ride? I do get a little sea sick (not overly sensitive, but cautious). I know it depends on the day - but how did you find the long ferry ride? I believe I read that it's a 45 minute ferry? 

On 3/3/2020 at 12:19 PM, helloxxannie said:

Hi All!

I'm cruising on the Encore on March 29th and I wanted to do a beach day at one of the ports. For those who have sailed this itinerary before (or have been to either port) - would you pick a beach day in Tortola or St Thomas? I'm also open to beach suggestions 🙂

I would book an excursion from Tortola to Jost Van Dyke. You won't find a better beach.

Tortola - we did the cruise line’s escape to Jost Van Dike. They pick you up at 8:00 am. Drop you off at 9:00 am at the soggy dollar beach area. Then pick you up at 12:15 for the 45 min boat run back to the ship. No real swimming area as the boats all park very close to shore. But you can float & bib around with a drink in your hand most of the day. Because of the early departure from Tortola (2:00 pm) there was no time to do anything else as far as shopping or sight seeing. Made it back just in time to re-board. Bumpy ride with choppy seas. 
St. Thomas - do your research. Pick a beach and take a taxi from the beach. There will always be a taxi near any popular beach to take you back at whatever time you need. Usually about $10 per person each way. Most beaches have amenities with bars and restaurants nearby. We love Coqui beach for the water variety and the close to shore snorkeling opportunity for those new to the experience. Make your way back to the shop for lunch then get back off the ship & take a stroll thru the shops at the pier. Remember that all jewelry purchases are negotiable.