(Coronavirus) For those who are CURRENTLY on a NCL ship, notice anything different?

mrneva

If you’re currently on a NCL ship or if you’ve just got off one, do you notice anything different or weird on board? We’ll be on the Joy in end of March.

Do you notice more cleaning being done?

Do a lot of people wear face masks?

Do they put out more hand sanitizer stations?

Anything worth mentioning?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope.  I just got off the Encore 3 days ago.  I did not see one person with a mask and never saw any kind of special cleaning.  However when you board there is a different questionnaire about Coronavirus and symptoms.  But other than that, I did not notice anything different.

• Like 3

We don’t cruise until next month, but a friend of mine just got off Carnival on Sunday. She said they were pretty much cleaning 24/7. She said it was the cleanest ship she has ever been on because they were just everywhere cleaning all the time.

• Like 2

I just got  off the Joy on Sunday.  I was surprised that I did not see one person with a mask. There was no paranoia at all. I am glad about that.  When I finally made it to the buffet the second day, it smelled so overpowering with disinfectant that I had to get out of there and never went back until the last night and it was not as bad . I also noticed that crew attendants had spray bottles of waterery disinfectant that they spayed on dinners hands along with the regular purex type dispensers. I started to wonder if you could get poisened from the active ingredient because I used so much. Everyone was nonstop putting disenfectant on there hands. I guess better than not enough.

I thought that people would not pack so tightly on the elevators, but that was not the case. I stopped using the elevators when I had a drink in hand to take back to the room.   I did notice more coughing at the end of the cruise than previous cruises. And although you tried hard to not think about it, you couldn't help but worry and wonder during those packed elevator rides.   Everyone was very upbeat.

• Like 4

Thanks for those updating us on current ship practices!  It sounds like extra cleaning won't hurt, and I do think it would be a good idea not to crowd into an elevator.   More stairs won't hurt me!   Still planning to cruise in a few weeks.

• Like 4

I also just got off a 16 night cruise on the Joy. There was always a women as you entered the buffet making sure people wash their hands in the sink. They also had the sanitation dispensers around the ship. I really felt my fellow cruiser made an effort with the hand washing.  We're not big buffet people, only on excursion day mornings. If anywhere on the ship that might not be as 'germ free' maybe the observation lounge. People laying on furniture and no one enforcing hand cleaning. 

Another plus with Norwegian vs Celebrity, desserts in buffet are served on plates. I can't believe Celebrity has people cut their own cake, pie, etc. and the finger licking. 

Always used knuckles for elevator buttons, and never carried food or drink in elevator. Wish LAX would be more pro-active, it was filthy.

35 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Thanks for those updating us on current ship practices!  It sounds like extra cleaning won't hurt, and I do think it would be a good idea not to crowd into an elevator.   More stairs won't hurt me!   Still planning to cruise in a few weeks.

Agree,

in fact that’s what I plan on doing 

same here leaving in a few weeks also.

enjoy your vacation 😎🛳️

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jagggg said:

I also just got off a 16 night cruise on the Joy. There was always a women as you entered the buffet making sure people wash their hands in the sink. They also had the sanitation dispensers around the ship. I really felt my fellow cruiser made an effort with the hand washing.  We're not big buffet people, only on excursion day mornings. If anywhere on the ship that might not be as 'germ free' maybe the observation lounge. People laying on furniture and no one enforcing hand cleaning. 

Another plus with Norwegian vs Celebrity, desserts in buffet are served on plates. I can't believe Celebrity has people cut their own cake, pie, etc. and the finger licking. 

Always used knuckles for elevator buttons, and never carried food or drink in elevator. Wish LAX would be more pro-active, it was filthy.

👍

We are not big on buffets, but occasionally will eat at them on a ship.  However, I am a bit germaphobic and I ALWAYS use a napkin when picking up the utensils to put food on my plate.  I even do that here at work when they bring lunch in for us.  I also always wash my hands with hot water (they don't always have hot, but at least warm) and soap right before I eat, even in restaurants.  They key is to do it AFTER you touch the menu. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jennmaybe said:

We are not big on buffets, but occasionally will eat at them on a ship.  However, I am a bit germaphobic and I ALWAYS use a napkin when picking up the utensils to put food on my plate.  I even do that here at work when they bring lunch in for us.  I also always wash my hands with hot water (they don't always have hot, but at least warm) and soap right before I eat, even in restaurants.  They key is to do it AFTER you touch the menu. 😉

No need to use hot water to wash your hands, you're just drying out your skin. Soap doesn't kill the germs (unless antibacterial), it just helps them slide off your hands when you rinse.

Edited by Mike_DeA
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Nn2036 said:

Once you on the ship, is there a way to tell how many passengers are currently sick? Stop by sick bay and ask?

I doubt the cruise will share that info with you, but why would you want to know anyway?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jennmaybe said:

....I also always wash my hands with hot water (they don't always have hot, but at least warm) and soap right before I eat, even in restaurants.  They key is to do it AFTER you touch the menu. 😉

In order that your germs land on the menu! 😏

On Bliss now.  Security for boarding was a bit slower, and there was the additional page of health questions.  Everything on board seems like pre COVID except it does seem like more people are using the sinks near eating areas than at other times.

On Escape currently.  Nothing seems out of the ordinary at all.  I haven't seen any face masks in use.  I have over heard some talk about how they aren't holding on to hand rails.  I've used my elbow or hip to open automatic doors.  The only thing remotely unusual was a couple who disembarked with their luggage in Roatan.  One was wearing a mask.  Am I a little more aware of when someone sneezes or coughs?  Sure...but that's my own paranoia.

I haven't noticed heightened cleaning or other precautions that aren't usually in play.  We skipped Costa Maya today and even though my first thought was that we were turned away, I am now comfortable with the "poor conditions" explanation.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mike_DeA said:

No need to use hot water to wash your hands, you're just drying out your skin. Soap doesn't kill the germs (unless antibacterial), it just helps them slide off your hands when you rinse.

I couldn’t help but laugh...respectfully, of course.