Choosing a Cruise on Cabin Availability?

Cabin availability (type and location), are factors in our decision to book a cruise but I wonder how often it influences the decision(s) of others. For example, my husband, a retired firefighter, will not book a cabin that does not have two ways to exit (balcony and door). Assuming that price and itinerary meet your criteria, does anyone else decide to take a cruise based on the availability of the type of cabin or the cabin location?

I too need a balcony. Well I dont need one. But i wont book a cruise without one.

One of the nicest parts of the cruise is relaxing on the balcony late at night just hearing the sound of the sea and the waves.

No balcony. No cruise. I am not a mole.

• Like 2

We usually book a guarantee cabin, after I study the various cabins we -might- be assigned.  I won't do an inside cabin, so if that's all that is available, we would not book the cruise.

So I guess my answer to your question is "sort of" 😉

• Like 1

Type and location of cabin are two of the lowest things on my list of criteria. I have no mobility issues, so don't care where the cabin is located. I don't get seasick so being fore or aft (or high up) is no problem for me. I live in an urban environment, so noise doesn't bother me. And I am perfectly happy to be in an inside cabin, as I do not prefer to spend time in my cabin while cruising.

So....this is one area where I am very easy going. As long as I can afford an available cabin, I'm in (assuming all the other factors meet my criteria).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pale Gail Sails said:

Cabin availability (type and location), are factors in our decision to book a cruise but I wonder how often it influences the decision(s) of others. For example, my husband, a retired firefighter, will not book a cabin that does not have two ways to exit (balcony and door). Assuming that price and itinerary meet your criteria, does anyone else decide to take a cruise based on the availability of the type of cabin or the cabin location?

So basically he just eliminates inside and window staterooms.  That leaves virtually every cruise line then available from which to choose.

That being said we prefer balconies but there are always a number of acceptable decks and locations on the ship available when we look to book that really makes that not a consideration.  It becomes a choice of itinerary and price within our preferred cruise lines. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pale Gail Sails said:

Interesting question.  Cabin type & location is not really part of our cruise selection process.  However, I require the cabin to be near a stairway, for reasons not unlike your husband's.  

• Like 1

We book a lot of cruises and have never made a decision based on cabin location or category.  Although we generally book cabins with balconies, in the past we have done a few voyages with an Outside Cabin or less frequently an inside cabin.

Hank

• Like 1

Cabin availability is just one of several variables.  While we strongly prefer a balcony, we can do without one of many other aspects are favorable.  Itinerary is most important, then date (as cruising has to fit in with, not dominate, the rest of our lives), price has to be a consideration, but we are not price-driven. Of course, there are ships/lines so lacking in attraction that, regardless of how the above considerations are met, we are not interested. 

• Like 1

You could search for and book the most  convenient, quiet , whatever you wish , cabin then be bothered  by bad neighbors .

Cabin type and price are all we need to book it, then take a chance on neighbors like everyone else.

• Like 1

On the off chance that I ever sail a large ship (over 350 passengers) again, I'd need a balcony cabin.  On the small ships I"m fine with an ocean view.  We choose port intensive itineraries (one sea day on a 10 days cruise) and spend time in the cabin to sleep and shower only.

• Like 1

We always study the deck plans, and keep them open when we ring the TA/cruise line. 

For instance, we know where the inside cabins with immediate access to the deck are on Grand Class ships, so are happy to book one of those; we like to check obstructed outsides, as they can be much cheaper; we look at easy access to lifts and staircases, and we need to know whether it's a shower room or bathroom ( finding it difficult climbing into a bath for a shower!). 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pale Gail Sails said:

I prefer at least an oceanview, not an inside (gotta have the daylight).  But I wouldn't pick a cruise just based on what room I'd have to book.

• Like 1