MSC refund policy coronavirus

niko40

32 minutes ago, GatorMomInNC said:

I don't understand how they can offer on FCC when THEY cancelled.  I understand they have been holding out on cancelling  until the last minute, in my opinion to pressure the passengers to cancel and accept a FCC.  I think it is unfair if passengers are basically unable to make it to the cruise due to various travel bans, including this sudden and ridiculously broad ban from here in the US; but again, I guess they can say, well, not our fault, you cancelled, FCC only.  BUT WHEN THEY CANCEL THEY SHOULD REFUND THE MONEY.

Do we know cash isn't being refunded and only a FCC offered when the cruise is cancelled? If that's the case, that will tip the scales for me and I will cancel and eat my deposit. I'm not sailing until May 30 and things might be better then, or they might not. But right now, I can still cancel for cash and lose my deposit. If I wait too long, that won't be the case. If things are better by then and the ship sails, I would like to go on the cruise. We are not elderly and don't have underlying health issues. If the cruiseline cancels for whatever reason, I want cash back and not a FCC. We already have flights and want to use that money for a land vacation if we don't cruise. If cash isn't being given, I'm playing it safe and cancelling now while I can still get most of my money back.

ETA, we are Americans cruising out of Miami so international flight bans aren't a concern.

Edited by sbd78

I dont think MSC will be offering refunds other than FCC unless governments step in to force their hand they will use the FORCE MAJEURE  clause which is totaly within their rights and if i was a cruise company would probably do the same. 

It may not be great for the end consumer and may damaged their reputation somewhat but i guess they have assesed the risk and are prepared to take it.

They still have costs regardless whether they are sailing or not total refunds would be catastrophic for them.

Companies that are offering refunds are also offering great insensitives for customers to take FCC so i guess they have assesed the risk in a different way and are hoping the majority will take FCCs. 

Personally i am happy with a FCC should we need to take it. 

Force Majeure definition?
Force Majeure clause is a provision in a contract that excuses a party from not performing its contractual obligations that becomes impossible or impracticable, due to an event or effect that the parties could not have anticipated or controlled.

The best thing you can do in this situation is just request a full refund and wait until the situation will settle down. Why risk it when you can get a full refund NOW. In February they said that by April everything concerning the virus will be settled but as you can see the solution to this problem has been postponed. I would rather get my money and just stay at home. Its better to e with money than without money and the cruise. 

1 hour ago, niko40 said:
Force Majeure clause is a provision in a contract that excuses a party from not performing its contractual obligations that becomes impossible or impracticable, due to an event or effect that the parties could not have anticipated or controlled.

But that wouldn't relieve them of their obligation to refund for services not provided, simply they do not have to remediate beyond a refund.  The customer does not take on the cruise lines risk and exposure.

Edited by MasterNotCommander

1 minute ago, MasterNotCommander said:

But that wouldn't relieve them of their obligation to refund for services not provided, simply they do not have to remediate beyond a refund.  

It relieves them of their contractual obligations of which a refund is part of.

Do you honesty think they have not looked at their lawful responsibility before releasing current policy.

All i can say is good luck to getting a full refund or even taking legal action against them.

Take the FCC and any obc offered enjoy your self isolation and spend the time planning the next cruise.

2 hours ago, niko40 said:

Niko ... A technicality I know, but they do and did have control by introducing Temperature screening!

1 hour ago, niko40 said:

It relieves them of their contractual obligations of which a refund is part of.

Do you honesty think they have not looked at their lawful responsibility before releasing current policy.

All i can say is good luck to getting a full refund or even taking legal action against them.

Take the FCC and any obc offered enjoy your self isolation and spend the time planning the next cruise.

Totally inaccurate. see T&C 15.2 -  YOU are entitled to a FULL REFUND of all money paid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, niko40 said:

Thats good news then you will all be able to get refunds.

Yes, been saying this on this very thread and others for 3 days, people that DO need a refund, will hopefully challenge MSC . I will if mine is cancelled by the cruiseline.

Edited by Seanocelt

3 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Mickey 89 cruised earlier this year

Yes but there wasnt issues then we need to know how MSC are handling peoples concerns currently. I was assuming he has a cruise booked soon.

55 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Mickey 89 cruised earlier this year

After the experience I wish i hadn't.  

Regretfully I have a MSC YC cruise planned for March 2021 which I will cancel at the appropriate time, MSC are a disgrace and can't be trusted.

We are leaving on a cruise on MSC in 2 weeks. We are all over 70 and in good health. Our doctors here in Florida will not give us a clearance for travel. We all feel fine.. If we can't get our money back then I think you should refund us our money not another cruise at a later time..We Amy be dead by then

On 3/4/2020 at 1:04 PM, rattanchair said:

Dear nik,   We all need more than a doctors note to claim reimbursement.  Your insurance company has to send you a form (I suppose they could e-mail a copy) then take it to your physician to fill out and sign. Then wait to see  if it is denied. Been there and done that.

P.S. The physician has to sign off that you are in no condition to take a cruise.

6 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

After the experience I wish i hadn't.  

Regretfully I have a MSC YC cruise planned for March 2021 which I will cancel at the appropriate time, MSC are a disgrace and can't be trusted.

Why would you wait to cancel a cruise a year out just cancel it if you feel that bad about MSC ?

11 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

I don't understand how they can offer on FCC when THEY cancelled.  I understand they have been holding out on cancelling  until the last minute, in my opinion to pressure the passengers to cancel and accept a FCC.  I think it is unfair if passengers are basically unable to make it to the cruise due to various travel bans, including this sudden and ridiculously broad ban from here in the US; but again, I guess they can say, well, not our fault, you cancelled, FCC only.  BUT WHEN THEY CANCEL THEY SHOULD REFUND THE MONEY.  I am beginning to wonder if I will ever be reimbursed for the cruise that I cancelled, more than 90 days before my cruise, which should mean NO penalty.  It has been 12 days, and no refund so far, and they acted like they were doing be a favor in allowing me to cancel and be reimbursed, when I was just doing what the contract provided for.

I cancelled 9 days ago. I am supposed to be reimbursed for everything except the deposit, and I need confirmation of their refund amount before I do my travel cancellation insurance claim. I received 9 copies of the email for the cancel/refund of my Cirque tickets, but nothing on my credit card for that or the cruise payment yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roger88 said:

The best thing you can do in this situation is just request a full refund and wait until the situation will settle down. Why risk it when you can get a full refund NOW. In February they said that by April everything concerning the virus will be settled but as you can see the solution to this problem has been postponed. I would rather get my money and just stay at home. Its better to e with money than without money and the cruise. 

You think it will be that easy. Just cancel your cruise or postpone it but no! people will not look for easy way  they want to open 1001 tops on boards because they have nothing to do at home. 

Edited by GOLDENBONNY
  • Like 1