MSC refund policy coronavirus

niko40

4 hours ago, Addict said:

I agree that would be useful. Getting fed up with people giving advice that is totally not relevant to the specific poster. The world doesn't revolve around the .U.S. There are other countries out there in the big wide world. And before anyone suggests that Cruise Critic is a U.S. site, I'm currently on boards.cruisecritic.co.uk. Rant over.

Problem is the admins here do not want several threads on each major subject, the title of this thread is general in its wording so to be American or British posting is appropriate. I wish people could calm down over Corona Virus, their extreme anxiety and panic is causing me fatigue  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Addict said:

I agree that would be useful. Getting fed up with people giving advice that is totally not relevant to the specific poster. The world doesn't revolve around the .U.S. There are other countries out there in the big wide world. And before anyone suggests that Cruise Critic is a U.S. site, I'm currently on boards.cruisecritic.co.uk. Rant over.

A way to help limit the replies would be to add UK only or something like that to the title.  If there isnt a restriction, then anyone replying seems fair game.

1 hour ago, BHBillH said:

Problem is the admins here do not want several threads on each major subject, the title of this thread is general in its wording so to be American or British posting is appropriate. I wish people could calm down over Corona Virus, their extreme anxiety and panic is causing me fatigue  

Given that MSC has different policies for the different countries, it seems fair that multiple threads would be allowed as long as each thread had a country designation in the title. 

My strong guess is that it didnt even occur to the OP to add his location to the title and then got annoyed when people didnt look to see where he was from before replying (and maybe didnt realize that there are platforms where you cant even see where someone is from).  Not a big deal, I could certainly see myself behaving in a similar fashion but we can learn from it moving forward.

Another MSC cruise, Magnifica pasangers not allowed to disembark in Australia.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/coronavirus-nightmare-aboard-italian-luxury-cruise-ship-in-hobart/news-story/2a34f721b1d4a6d1fc65c6d78bd057ff

Hopefully things settle down soon.  Many people are frantically trying to cancel trips, I can't even get through to Qatar.

We cancelled our April 18th med cruise, due to school imposing a ban on travel and our health department saying i would have to self isolate upon return. 

MSC Australia are refunding everything but deposit which is $1400 for our family of 4.

Does anyone know if the cruise is then canceled by msc am i likely to get the deposit back also? 

As said this is in Australia 

19 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

******* see pinned threads, one for UK and one for US cruisers****

since policies etc appear different and posts sometimes hard to follow.....hope this helps

Lots of Australian travelers too and policies seems to vary against US and UK

You sadly jumped the gun. I believe that no offers are retrospective. I knew they would have no choice but to eventually cancel and have hung on. It was nerve racking but worth it.  Sorry, that’s a big loss.😢 I’m in Australia too and it is impossible to stay on the phone with them for 2-3 hour waits to get information. I have learned a lot of lessons from this journey.

1 minute ago, Ausbrit said:

You sadly jumped the gun. I believe that no offers are retrospective. I knew they would have no choice but to eventually cancel and have hung on. It was nerve racking but worth it.  Sorry, that’s a big loss.😢 I’m in Australia too and it is impossible to stay on the phone with them for 2-3 hour waits to get information. I have learned a lot of lessons from this journey.

Just to clarify, I always book through the US site even though I live here. Hence the phone call comment.

4 minutes ago, Ausbrit said:

At the time we felt we had no choice, given policies were changing daily we were worried we would lose the 75% that would have been normal. I’m hoping either MSc does the right thing and either refunds or let’s us use it to a future cruise. My next option is my credit card insurance which sounds promising at this stage.....

It was a different decision for you with so much money involved, I think I would have done the same. I hope your insurance comes through or that MSC gives you a FCC. Hopefully we will all be cruising again soon. Stay well💕

1 hour ago, Ausbrit said:

It was a different decision for you with so much money involved, I think I would have done the same. I hope your insurance comes through or that MSC gives you a FCC. Hopefully we will all be cruising again soon. Stay well💕

Thankyou! Yes it was a difficult decision and to be fair MSc offered to move the cruise, but the only time/ cruise that suited us is Dubai in January, which was $1300 cheaper and we could rebook under new booking conditions with only $50 pp deposit and not risk loosing the lot if things weren’t back to “normal “ in January.

so many people are disappointed and lost lots of money, so fingers crossed 

I booked through a US TA, cancellation policy is different than Aus.  My cruise is 2nd May, I have the form sent by TA for FCC and US$ 100 cancellation fee which can be reimbursed if we book with them again.  I am waiting for another week hopeful if MSC cancel we can have a refund. If we cancel now until 18th Mar we will lose 50%

Every country has it's own version of public protection laws and different regulations concerning business practices.  I'm sure it would be easier for them too but MSC has no ability to keep the same policies world wide.

• Like 1

Every country has it's own version of public protection laws and different regulations concerning business practices.  I'm sure it would be easier for them too but MSC has no ability to keep the same policies world wide.

That’s just what I was thinking, I don’t know how other cruise lines do it but at least for MSC, having to do business with multiple countries around the world with varying types of regulations, it’s probably not easy to have one set of policies for the entire world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Ausbrit said:

I have learned a lot of lessons from this journey.

Hi. I am a seasoned cruiser, but always looking to learn something new and apply it if needed. May I ask what lessons you have learned.  Thanks. 

5 hours ago, Mrs Soap said:

Wouldn’t it be so much easier if MSC world wide had the same policies, terms and conditions 🙄

It's not just MSC most cruise lines have different T&Cs for different countries (Celebrity & Princess have different for UK and Australia we travel with friends from Sydney)

5 hours ago, js said:

Hi. I am a seasoned cruiser, but always looking to learn something new and apply it if needed. May I ask what lessons you have learned.  Thanks. 

I think the big things I have learned are

1. Pay the extra to book refundable accommodation 

3. Keep non refundable expenses to a minimum 

3. Use 1 credit card for 1 trip

4.expect the unexpected!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, js said:

1. ALWAYS have cancel for any reason travel insurance 

2. Take out said insurance the moment you book

3. Don’t assume pandemics are only movie plots

4. Decide whether the money you save by booking in another country is worth the fact that it is so much harder to contact the provider

5. Don’t believe everything you read on Cruise Critic🤣

6. Pay the extra with accommodation so you can cancel without penalty

7. Don’t ***** about the cruise lines, TAs, hotels, etc because this situation is unheard of and they are doing their best, dealing with thousands of people and a very fluid situation.

.......Stay safe and perhaps we will laugh about this one day.💕

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mrs Soap said:

I think the big things I have learned are

1. Pay the extra to book refundable accommodation 

3. Keep non refundable expenses to a minimum 

3. Use 1 credit card for 1 trip

4.expect the unexpected!

Yep. Definitely the credit card suggestion. I have been wading through all my online statements trying to see what I have missed because I used various payments. Also never buy your currency early (hopefully I will use it all on the next trip) & don’t buy your sims early because mine will expire before I go again.  To think the only thing I ever worried about was novovirus and sinking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ausbrit said:

1. ALWAYS have cancel for any reason travel insurance 

2. Take out said insurance the moment you book

3. Don’t assume pandemics are only movie plots

4. Decide whether the money you save by booking in another country is worth the fact that it is so much harder to contact the provider

5. Don’t believe everything you read on Cruise Critic🤣

6. Pay the extra with accommodation so you can cancel without penalty

7. Don’t ***** about the cruise lines, TAs, hotels, etc because this situation is unheard of and they are doing their best, dealing with thousands of people and a very fluid situation.

.......Stay safe and perhaps we will laugh about this one day.💕

Yep good points there too!

6 minutes ago, Ausbrit said:

Yep. Definitely the credit card suggestion. I have been wading through all my online statements trying to see what I have missed because I used various payments. Also never buy your currency early (hopefully I will use it all on the next trip) & don’t buy your sims early because mine will expire before I go again.  To think the only thing I ever worried about was novovirus and sinking.

We I must admit always get currency out at the airport when we land using the atm and get a simcard if needed when we hit first major city.

i did like ausbrits point about using an overseas provider....can be cheaper but contacting them can be problematic.

funny though, I have always been a an advert for booking directly when you can rather than through a thrird party but this time the only trouble I have had in getting a refund has been through hotels I booked directly....absolutely no give with them. Hotels I booked through a third party even when they didn’t have to refund they did.....go figure...l