MSC refund policy coronavirus

niko40

1 minute ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

I wasn't told. I found it on their website last Tuesday night. When and where are you going? 

Their communication is excellent isn't it.  Ours is 22 April, Preziosa out of Southampton.  Down the coast of France, Portugal and Spain to Malaga, then back up and round to Rotterdam, Hamburg etc and back to Southampton.  Supposedly! Ha ha.  Who knows.  It's currently still over the pond so I guess it will sail to Europe empty.  One way or another it needs to get to Europe to start the season when they get the go-ahead.

2 minutes ago, juraspark said:

Sorry not seeing 'the chink' in this. They are not offering 100% refunds except as FCC. Actual money is subject to regular terms and conditions

After looking at MSC USA, Canada, UK and the what they are reading, they are pretty much the same.

I am not reading their T&C's at this point, which on 1st look similar.I am reading their front page on all sites Cruise Cancellations & Itinerary Updates Due to Corona Virus.

Everyone here needs to check which section applies to their own cruise as my Miami Departure cruise is NOT the same as an Emirates, Antilles, Mediterranean  cruise. Each cruise type has it's own provisions and I've notice the usa site has removed the phone numbers for calling

You might be able to use T&C's against them if you are going for Cash Back after THEY cancel your cruise.

If you initiate the cancellation you are subject to the T&C's.

Here in Canada the credit card's all have there own policy and fees they charge to do a refund and they are not cheap and it would not be viable without a substantial loss and some trip insur. companies are not covering Covid19, regardless of when purchased.

Food for thought if your cruise is cancelled, has your flight been cancelled? Inter country probably not but could be. Out of country? If your cruise may be cancelled most likely your plane will be also and then you would get your money back or whatever an airline does so it might work out. Hotels, probably only if you booked a cancellable room!

535 shows USA px on a Miami cancelled cruise has been offered a refund. 

11 minutes ago, juraspark said:

Hotels, probably only if you booked a cancellable room!

Fortunately, ours was a non cancel, non refundable booking, however they contacted me and offered to amend the booking if we want, free of charge.  It seems a lot of hotel chains in the UK are doing the same.  They seem to have a lot more common sense, realising that customer service will do them the power of good.  I have already recommended them on the basis of their offer and will certainly use them again because of this.  MSC?  I doubt we will step onboard one of their ships again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Addict said:

Their communication is excellent isn't it.  Ours is 22 April, Preziosa out of Southampton.  Down the coast of France, Portugal and Spain to Malaga, then back up and round to Rotterdam, Hamburg etc and back to Southampton.  Supposedly! Ha ha.  Who knows.  It's currently still over the pond so I guess it will sail to Europe empty.  One way or another it needs to get to Europe to start the season when they get the go-ahead.

Last time I looked, there is a list of revised cruise itineraries on MSC website, your cruise is not one of the 30 odd cancelled. We're booked on your itinerary for September with only £200 deposit paid. The P and O Oceana headed to Spanish ports, including MALAGA, that left Soton last Sunday 8th was turned round at Gibraltar and is heading back arriving 18th. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Addict said:

Fortunately, ours was a non cancel, non refundable booking, however they contacted me and offered to amend the booking if we want, free of charge.  It seems a lot of hotel chains in the UK are doing the same.  

That is fortunate!

If we can't do our May cruise I hope the Florida hotels do the same as we have booked Miami pre cruise and another 7 nights post cruise on the gulf coast at some cost.

18 minutes ago, juraspark said:

That is fortunate!

If we can't do our May cruise I hope the Florida hotels do the same as we have booked Miami pre cruise and another 7 nights post cruise on the gulf coast at some cost.

It is.  We will need hotel with 15 nights parking in November so luckily it can be transferred to that if need be.  Very grateful.

23 minutes ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

Last time I looked, there is a list of revised cruise itineraries on MSC website, your cruise is not one of the 30 odd cancelled. We're booked on your itinerary for September with only £200 deposit paid. The P and O Oceana headed to Spanish ports, including MALAGA, that left Soton last Sunday 8th was turned round at Gibraltar and is heading back arriving 18th. 

Yes, we keep checking to see if it appears.  I guess it will be a while longer.

Addict ... As travel agents sometimes only pay MSC two weeks prior to sailing it may be that ours still have our cc payment.

The Preziosa T.A is cancelled and as it was due to arrive in Hamburg on the 19th April I think I can be assured that ours on the 22nd will not be going ahead unless the virus by some miracle clears up and MSC take the ship to Hamburg empty. Germany is closing it's border's tomorrow.

41 minutes ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

535 shows USA px on a Miami cancelled cruise has been offered a refund. 

Sorry but #535 does not show anyone being offered anything but FCC & the allowance of $100 deposit if they book with MSC again.

'Antiq' the quoted person is waiting another week hoping if MSC cancel they will be offered a refund.

So far they are not offering on their websites money back refunds only FCC on cruises' they have canceled. Some with extras which vary depending on country and cruise booked

Please people, open your web browser, to the appropriate MSC website and READ what applies to you. I'm sure if you read it

you'll have a better understanding of what is being offered and what is not.

@sidari

From where you have the info about the Preziosa TA ist canceled? At the Moment we don't have any information about our TA and at the MSC Website she isn't canceled!

I hope they will cancel the TA, so I can look about our flights from Paris to Martinique and from Hamburg to Zurich.

6 minutes ago, juraspark said:

Sorry but #535 does not show anyone being offered anything but FCC & the allowance of $100 deposit if they book with MSC again.

'Antiq' the quoted person is waiting another week hoping if MSC cancel they will be offered a refund.

So far they are not offering on their websites money back refunds only FCC on cruises' they have canceled. Some with extras which vary depending on country and cruise booked

Please people, open your web browser, to the appropriate MSC website and READ what applies to you. I'm sure if you read it

you'll have a better understanding of what is being offered and what is not.

Are you a school teacher since I don't care for your tone. We are all doing our best to seek some comfort. If I've misunderstood 535 I apologise but I'll have to read it all again when on a larger PC screen. 

1 hour ago, Addict said:

Fortunately, ours was a non cancel, non refundable booking, however they contacted me and offered to amend the booking if we want, free of charge.  It seems a lot of hotel chains in the UK are doing the same.  They seem to have a lot more common sense, realising that customer service will do them the power of good.  I have already recommended them on the basis of their offer and will certainly use them again because of this.  MSC?  I doubt we will step onboard one of their ships again.

Good to learn about that there are hotels who are being flexible even though you booked non refundable. In our case the hotels do not even bother to answer. 

Edited by travelberlin

1 hour ago, Nikita4 said:

@sidari

From where you have the info about the Preziosa TA ist canceled? At the Moment we don't have any information about our TA and at the MSC Website she isn't canceled!

I hope they will cancel the TA, so I can look about our flights from Paris to Martinique and from Hamburg to Zurich.

Took me a while but I found it.

Image may contain: text

29 minutes ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

Are you a school teacher since I don't care for your tone. We are all doing our best to seek some comfort. If I've misunderstood 535 I apologise but I'll have to read it all again when on a larger PC screen. 

I am a waitress by choice. I do not mean to offend. I DO wish people would take the few minutes and read what actually pertains to them on the official website that pertains to them. Get the facts.

I'm also OCD in that I read every EULA or insurance contract in full or any contract for that matter that has anything to do with me or my family. Yes, I read every boring confusing detail. Why? 'Cause I'm nuts and have a need to understand, so I'm not blindsided by thinking everything is coming up daisy's when in reality it's dandelions.

For rumours, I depend on social media for facts I prefer official sites. I look up covid19 facts on WHO, not the local news channel.

It is hard to fight facts with rumours, but yes I'm sure many are finding comfort in the rumours, rather than finding the facts.

Just now my husband came home from the store where he was informed that the US-Canada border had been closed indefinitely. We cross at least 4 times a week. I went on the border crossing site and it showed no wait times at any bridges. A couple minutes later there is a banner stating that the border has NOT been shut down due to Covid19 and is open as usual! The person who told him, he knows and trusts and I'm sure did not deliberately give him misinformation, but was spreading rumour instead of checking fact.

Again, I'm sorry you felt offended. I don't want to offend or give you cause to be un-comforted by your conceptions.

Post #535 is my posted response to post #519, so if I've somehow misguided anyone by cutting and pasting MSC's information from their website it was not my intent. I did intend that people read what they posted and see the facts. 

8 minutes ago, sidari said:

Thank you!

... for this cruise we had an free upgrade to a Royal Suite.
We have booked with a German TA, I will write an email an ask how it works and so we can cancel our flights a look with our Travel Insurance.

15 minutes ago, sidari said:

17 minutes ago, sidari said:

Interesting. From which country is this letter from MSC?

They haven't yet posted beyond March 28th for the Preziosa on any of the actual MSC websites.

The USA division told me they will not send emails, it will be up to me to check the site for updates and changes. That was last week.

38 minutes ago, juraspark said:

I am a waitress by choice. I do not mean to offend. I DO wish people would take the few minutes and read what actually pertains to them on the official website that pertains to them. Get the facts.

I'm also OCD in that I read every EULA or insurance contract in full or any contract for that matter that has anything to do with me or my family. Yes, I read every boring confusing detail. Why? 'Cause I'm nuts and have a need to understand, so I'm not blindsided by thinking everything is coming up daisy's when in reality it's dandelions.

For rumours, I depend on social media for facts I prefer official sites. I look up covid19 facts on WHO, not the local news channel.

It is hard to fight facts with rumours, but yes I'm sure many are finding comfort in the rumours, rather than finding the facts.

Just now my husband came home from the store where he was informed that the US-Canada border had been closed indefinitely. We cross at least 4 times a week. I went on the border crossing site and it showed no wait times at any bridges. A couple minutes later there is a banner stating that the border has NOT been shut down due to Covid19 and is open as usual! The person who told him, he knows and trusts and I'm sure did not deliberately give him misinformation, but was spreading rumour instead of checking fact.

Again, I'm sorry you felt offended. I don't want to offend or give you cause to be un-comforted by your conceptions.

Post #535 is my posted response to post #519, so if I've somehow misguided anyone by cutting and pasting MSC's information from their website it was not my intent. I did intend that people read what they posted and see the facts. 

Don't you consider people HAVE checked their local MSC website and every other possible outlet before venting on here?  For us, it still does not list our cruise as cancelled, and for those THEY are cancelling, they are only offering to move your cruise to a different date!  Great if you don't have any other cruises booked and your employers agree to move your holiday dates.  Also, you must cruise in the same region as your original booking.  There are NO alternatives for us.  Nowhere does it say they will offer you a refund.  So you have to try to move your booking to suit MSC.  Can you understand that people are angry about possibly losing thousands of pounds?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Addict said:

Don't you consider people HAVE checked their local MSC website and every other possible outlet before venting on here?  For us, it still does not list our cruise as cancelled, and for those THEY are cancelling, they are only offering to move your cruise to a different date!  Great if you don't have any other cruises booked and your employers agree to move your holiday dates.  Also, you must cruise in the same region as your original booking.  There are NO alternatives for us.  Nowhere does it say they will offer you a refund.  So you have to try to move your booking to suit MSC.  Can you understand that people are angry about possibly losing thousands of pounds?

An exert taken from the msccruises.co.uk website regarding cruises they have had to cancel:

For the cruises we are forced to cancel we will offer to our guests a voucher equal to the value of the cancelled cruise, to be used for any future sailing departing before the end of 2021 plus an on board credit of €100 per cabin for cancelled cruises up to 6 nights and €200 for cruises of 7 nights or longer. Solely for the cancellation of MSC Bellissima Grand Voyage Dubai-Yokohama, and MSC Lirica Grand Voyage Dubai-Venice, we will offer and on board credit of € 400 per cabin. This credit is refundable, valid for any period of the year and can be combined with any existing promotion.

Venting I do understand.

You mention having other cruises booked (I wish I had such a problem!). The FCC can be applied to your other cruise. AS per the exert above.

If MSC cancels your cruise, call them up and ask them about paragraph 15.? and state the facts about getting your money back. I believe that I have not read that anyone on here has actually asked since their cruise has been cancelled. So, maybe wait to get angry after being refused a refund. Just because it's not offered doesn't mean it's not available.

If needed,I will move our cruise to next year, same region as it was good enough for me this year should be good enough next year. This is because I am not willing to take a loss of thousands of dollars either, but do want to go on my 1st cruise.

Cruise lines and many other companies and people are now and will take major financial hits, they are trying to offset their loses by having us, help them by taking FCC's with a small bonus as a thank you, when they have to cancel.

We can move our cruise with no penalty if we are worried about travel during this time frame. Nice.

If MSC or any cruise line are forced to return every penny to every cruiser for all the sailings they will not be making, it is going to cost you all a lot more to cruise when and if they start up again. It will cost a lot of crew and other people who rely on cruise passengers there lively hood on a long term basis if the companies can't operate due to too much loss.

By accepting the FCC, if needed, and being fair minded about it, I feel that I am helping them to stay in business and they might remember my support when I implement it!

I will be disappointed if I can't get on the boat in May as I am very excited to go on my 1st cruise and have been looking forward to it. My husband and I talked over what plan B & C would be and came to the conclusion that if we are in a no-sail situation there would not be a plan B. No vacation place to book to go to with the world in it's current situation, never mind the money is already tied up. This includes vacationing in our own country out of town. Plan C is stay home and pretend we're at a really bad all inclusive. We're in the same boat as most of you (pun intended)

Stay healthy.

10 hours ago, sidari said:

Looks like South Africa, SA bottom left of the letter.

That's what I thought at first, but the South Africa website shows the same information as the websites, only cancels till march 28.

Is this letter to 'the' Andrew Green? Of 'the Spectre Inspector".

Very Impressive!! Are you friends with him?

How fun to be sailing with him!

7 hours ago, juraspark said:

An exert taken from the msccruises.co.uk website regarding cruises they have had to cancel:

For the cruises we are forced to cancel we will offer to our guests a voucher equal to the value of the cancelled cruise, to be used for any future sailing departing before the end of 2021 plus an on board credit of €100 per cabin for cancelled cruises up to 6 nights and €200 for cruises of 7 nights or longer. Solely for the cancellation of MSC Bellissima Grand Voyage Dubai-Yokohama, and MSC Lirica Grand Voyage Dubai-Venice, we will offer and on board credit of € 400 per cabin. This credit is refundable, valid for any period of the year and can be combined with any existing promotion.

Venting I do understand.

You mention having other cruises booked (I wish I had such a problem!). The FCC can be applied to your other cruise. AS per the exert above.

If MSC cancels your cruise, call them up and ask them about paragraph 15.? and state the facts about getting your money back. I believe that I have not read that anyone on here has actually asked since their cruise has been cancelled. So, maybe wait to get angry after being refused a refund. Just because it's not offered doesn't mean it's not available.

If needed,I will move our cruise to next year, same region as it was good enough for me this year should be good enough next year. This is because I am not willing to take a loss of thousands of dollars either, but do want to go on my 1st cruise.

Cruise lines and many other companies and people are now and will take major financial hits, they are trying to offset their loses by having us, help them by taking FCC's with a small bonus as a thank you, when they have to cancel.

We can move our cruise with no penalty if we are worried about travel during this time frame. Nice.

If MSC or any cruise line are forced to return every penny to every cruiser for all the sailings they will not be making, it is going to cost you all a lot more to cruise when and if they start up again. It will cost a lot of crew and other people who rely on cruise passengers there lively hood on a long term basis if the companies can't operate due to too much loss.

By accepting the FCC, if needed, and being fair minded about it, I feel that I am helping them to stay in business and they might remember my support when I implement it!

I will be disappointed if I can't get on the boat in May as I am very excited to go on my 1st cruise and have been looking forward to it. My husband and I talked over what plan B & C would be and came to the conclusion that if we are in a no-sail situation there would not be a plan B. No vacation place to book to go to with the world in it's current situation, never mind the money is already tied up. This includes vacationing in our own country out of town. Plan C is stay home and pretend we're at a really bad all inclusive. We're in the same boat as most of you (pun intended)

Stay healthy.

I'm guessing that you're under 70 which puts you firmly in a different bracket to me. There are at least two problems with the FCC for me. Since I am now unable to travel owing to being 73 and with cardiovascular issues unless that relaxes at some time in the future and before 31st December 2021, and there are no guarantees, then I'm not in a position to claim the FCC taking a hit of £4,500. Since MSC cancelled the cruise despite me having travel insurance then I have no cover. My reputable UK insurers say my contract is with the carrier and I have to pursue any claim with them under the terms of my MSC contract. Therein lies the problem for so many.

It seems you are young enough, I am assuming here, that you can dust yourself off and move on with future cruises. That is not my case

I have another cruise booked with P and O at the end of May and they have offered a combination of FCCs and cash refund if I cancel now. With the possibility that they cancel the cruise to ensure I get that part cash offer I have to cancel before THEY do.

This where the second risk comes in as, with this problem of giant proportion, there a chance of company failure or re-organisation that could leave us all high and dry. 

Your consideration for the employees and the company is laudable but given life experiences I have to look after my wife and myself when we have no opportunity to refill our savings pot. I've been made redundant when my industry was decimated in the 70's and was young enough to recover financially and physically.

Long winded response to your offhand approach to this situation and the worries of many. 

I don't know about anyone else but I'm finding no legal help as to whether MSC are justified and legally correct in denying a refund. Nor am I certain as to the implications of Force Majeure.  

I am holding fire until I receive the letter I have been promised this week. I am not holding any optimism that their offer will change for the better and if it doesn't then I'll explore the credit card route as my last resort. 

When I receive my mail I'll publish it but don't hold your breath as they've made promises before. Don't get me wrong I don't consider MSC UK as being a disreputable company and have enjoyed a few cruise with them but these are different times

We should not have to play roulette.

Edited by Intergalactic Cruiser
added text
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, juraspark said:

If only it were that simple.  We do not have another cruise booked with MSC. We cruise with other lines too. Like I said, there IS nothing else we can transfer to that is the same region. MSC do very few 14 night cruises, especially out of Southampton.

I know you are trying your best to help and I really appreciate all you have advised, that must have taken some effort. I am just venting with frustration. I wont post here again as I'll end up alienating everyone here. I wish you all the best and I hope everyone gets a satisfactory outcome.. There are other things to worry about now.  Most of our elderly neighbours will go on lockdown soon and we will be doing our best to make sure they are looked after and have food to eat. X

• Like 1

4 hours ago, juraspark said:

That's what I thought at first, but the South Africa website shows the same information as the websites, only cancels till march 28.

Is this letter to 'the' Andrew Green? Of 'the Spectre Inspector".

Very Impressive!! Are you friends with him?

How fun to be sailing with him!

Who is Andrew Green ? I have no idea what you are babbling on about.

10 minutes ago, Addict said:

If only it were that simple.  We do not have another cruise booked with MSC. We cruise with other lines too. Like I said, there IS nothing else we can transfer to that is the same region. MSC do very few 14 night cruises, especially out of Southampton.

I know you are trying your best to help and I really appreciate all you have advised, that must have taken some effort. I am just venting with frustration. I wont post here again as I'll end up alienating everyone here. I wish you all the best and I hope everyone gets a satisfactory outcome.. There are other things to worry about now.  Most of our elderly neighbours will go on lockdown soon and we will be doing our best to make sure they are looked after and have food to eat. X

As you know we are in the same position as you regarding the cruise in April, in fact we may be in a worse position because our cruise was in a sale by our travel agent and so did not pay MSC prices. Our FCC will be much less than the price of a new cruise and as you have pointed out there are very few 14 night cruises out of Southampton that go around the Northern part of Germany, Holland, France, Spain and Portugal on MSC! being held captive to a region will not help a lot of people and MSC need to address this issue.