MSC refund policy coronavirus

niko40

For that reason it is no good to us because the next time Preziosa does the same 14 night itinerary is in September when we are due to be in Alaska. Next year Magnifica will sail from Southampton but will not do the same itinerary and Preziosa will sail out of Hamburg.

14 hours ago, sidari said:

For that reason it is no good to us because the next time Preziosa does the same 14 night itinerary is in September when we are due to be in Alaska. Next year Magnifica will sail from Southampton but will not do the same itinerary and Preziosa will sail out of Hamburg.

We are booked on that MSC September cruise with fingers crossed and have travel insurance in place..

P and O offered us 50% cash and 50% FCC if we cancelled an end of May Baltic cruise. We accepted a week ago. This morning they sent a circular withdrawing that offer from today replacing it with 100% FCCs. Alarm bells ringing. Did they misjudge customer loyalty with too much cash haemorrhaging........   Something to bear in mind if you cancel with other cruises.

We've had no money back from any cruise company yet but we did prefer the cash bird in hand approach. In my new vulnerable over 70 with underlying health issues category will I be uninsurable given the huge payout travel insurers will suffer. 

UK passenger

3 hours ago, sidari said:

An option would be to dispute the cost with your credit card provider, not at that stage so no idea if it would help.

It's a route to follow idc

The new terms from MSC today told me that my Lirica cruise was now cancelled. They did this over a week ago but didn't write directly just placed it online in the hope people would see it

The two mails from MSC and P and O within ten minutes may well be a coincidence or part of a trade wise policy not to give out cash

All seems scattergun so having registered my claims I'll wait for the dust to settle.

Good luck everyone!

4 hours ago, sidari said:

An option would be to dispute the cost with your credit card provider, not at that stage so no idea if it would help.

Remember Credit Card Section 75 support is only available if your purchase was with the End Supplier.  

If you booked via a TA you're on your own

Edited by mickey89

5 hours ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

IMPORTANT

We have received in the UK a circular with new Lirica cancellation terms, not ten minutes ago, offering NO cash refunds and time limited FCCs. 

I just phoned MSC Customer Services and they confirmed that NO CASH REFUND would be given for cruises that MSC CANCEL. When I mention their T&C she said it was an extraordinary situation.  On a well known social media site people are getting together to issue a Class Action legal claim against MSC.  People who are directly concern would be advised to check it out.  

MSC can't be allowed to run roughshod against the T&C of their contract.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

I just phoned MSC Customer Sdervices and they confirmed that NO CASH REFUND would be given for cruises that MSC CANCEL. When I mention their T&C she said it was an extraordinary situation.  On a well known social media site people are getting together to issue a Class Action legal claim against MSC.  People who are directly concern would be advised to check it out.  

IMHO they DO have that option under 15.2. I felt that para was ambiguous and could be interpreted in two ways. Thus I sought and got written confirmation I would be getting a cash refund. Whether they will honour that we'll see. Fast moving scenarios

Edited by Intergalactic Cruiser
added text
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mickey89 said:

I just phoned MSC Customer Services and they confirmed that NO CASH REFUND would be given for cruises that MSC CANCEL. When I mention their T&C she said it was an extraordinary situation.  On a well known social media site people are getting together to issue a Class Action legal claim against MSC.  People who are directly concern would be advised to check it out.  

We are also based in the UK. After they finally cancelled the Fantasia sailing on the 4th April we had yet another phone conversation with them. Interestingly today (after numerous phone calls over the last week) they are saying they have permission to retrospectively change their conditions due to the circumstances and this is being back by ABTA (Association of British Travel Agents). They literally reeled off a statement. We checked ABTA out and they confirmed. https://www.abta.com/news/coronavirus-outbreak. 😞

No cash refunds, only FCC. We will still continue to dispute this as we fairly signed up to the original T&Cs so they should be honoured. We totally get their position, but equally we are all in difficult positions now too. Their beligerance over the last couple of weeks, especially in comparison to other cruise lines we have dealt with in last few weeks, has just been stress-inducing. We love MSC ships but their head office is shocking. 

We are also exploring a Section 75 claim through our credit card to see whether that expedites anything...but we doubt it. Travel insurance not interested as some form of refund is being offered--even though it isn't actually a refund!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pauliepaul said:

We are also based in the UK. After they finally cancelled the Fantasia sailing on the 4th April we had yet another phone conversation with them. Interestingly today (after numerous phone calls over the last week) they are saying they have permission to retrospectively change their conditions due to the circumstances and this is being back by ABTA (Association of British Travel Agents). They literally reeled off a statement. We checked ABTA out and they confirmed. https://www.abta.com/news/coronavirus-outbreak. 😞

No cash refunds, only FCC. We will still continue to dispute this as we fairly signed up to the original T&Cs so they should be honoured. We totally get their position, but equally we are all in difficult positions now too. Their beligerance over the last couple of weeks, especially in comparison to other cruise lines we have dealt with in last few weeks, has just been stress-inducing. We love MSC ships but their head office is shocking. 

We are also exploring a Section 75 claim through our credit card to see whether that expedites anything...but we doubt it. Travel insurance not interested as some form of refund is being offered--even though it isn't actually a refund!

Sounds like we're all buggered then doesn't it.  How can they change T&Cs after you agree to them at the time of booking, might as well not have them at all.

2 hours ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

IMHO they DO have that option under 15.2. I felt that para was ambiguous and could be interpreted in two ways. Thus I sought and got written confirmation I would be getting a cash refund. Whether they will honour that we'll see. Fast moving scenarios

I always felt that too.   They will offer the choice of.........  doesn't say the customer has the choice.

5 hours ago, mickey89 said:

Remember Credit Card Section 75 support is only available if your purchase was with the End Supplier.  

If you booked via a TA you're on your own

I've been saying this for the last couple of weeks, but people still think they will get it.

2 hours ago, Pauliepaul said:

Just now, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

The ABTA site you linked to says that if passengers have been offered a refund they must just be patient (in view of work overload) so there is a glimmer of hope for my booking.

Sorry but I can't see any mention of holiday companies being able to retrospectively change their T's and C's with or without the current coronavirus outbreak so don't know where MSC got the licence to do that.

ATOL only appears to cover flights and if you bought an MSC package including flights then you are back to dealing with MSC. 

My package included Emirates flights and when I spoke to them last week, to book seats and Assistance, before the cruise was cancelled they said MSC in the event of a cancelled cruise would refund the flight costs. 

Don't forget refundable passenger tax whatever the other considerations

When I previously looked at the ABTA website it was clear they only supported passengers whose travel arrangements had been affected by Company Failure. That isn't the case with MSC - yet

What a mess but a whole new experience for all concerned. 

In some ways it is churlish for me to be worried about a life luxury when so many will be challenged in so many ways. However I have no chance to recover my savings whilst unable to work. 

Stay Safe! 

We are also based in the UK. After they finally cancelled the Fantasia sailing on the 4th April we had yet another phone conversation with them. Interestingly today (after numerous phone calls over the last week) they are saying they have permission to retrospectively change their conditions due to the circumstances and this is being back by ABTA (Association of British Travel Agents). They literally reeled off a statement. We checked ABTA out and they confirmed. https://www.abta.com/news/coronavirus-outbreak. [emoji20]

Very sorry to read this, especially the part about being belligerent. Wow! That’s completely unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I was booked on the May 30th sailing of the Seaside out of Miami. (I'm an American.) I got spooked and just cancelled after reading all these reports. With the way things are going, I just don't feel comfortable leaving that much money in their hands and I still had 12 days left to cancel and lose my deposit only. So that's the route I took. I'm supposed to get a full refund minus $200. I also already had flights so now I have a $600 flight credit I have to use in 90 days I don't need. I'm so sad and disappointed, I really wanted to go on this cruise and was so excited about it. 😞

8 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Very sorry to read this, especially the part about being belligerent. Wow! That’s completely unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

14 hours ago, Pauliepaul said:

I have found the front line staff at MSC UK extremely pleasant and understanding, not in any way belligerent. They are doing a tough job at the moment. They don't make policies just have to take the flak when they don't meet px expectations. Maybe you caught them at a bad moment - we all have those.

• Like 1

Good Old MSC

so we had a booking on the Meraviglia for March 15th from Miami. On March 9th I contacted them and they said that the Caribbean was not effected and no refund or exchange. On March 10th they send out the assurance policy which was in line with every other line but 5 days after they had made the same pledge. We then asked our travel agent On March 11 to cancel our cruise and at the time all they were offering was to rebook and travel by dec of 2021 which at the time was better than loosing on $5000. On march 13 two days before our cruise they sent out new screening that asked for anyone over 70 to get a letter from their doctor stating that they can board the ship (no health issues).. we are Canadians and not sure who  in drop of a hat can see their doctor 2 days before their cruise and get a note.  On March 14 they sent out another update that i got through text message saying that the March 15th cruise was canceled. It also stated that passengers could get a 125% future credit or full refund. Great News Right....

Our travel agent called me yesterday and said that MSC is saying since we took advantage of their deal on March 10th and did not wait until March 14th we can only get a future cruise credit....No refund and not the 125% credit. She even brought up the fact that my father in-law was over 70 and we could not access a Dr in less than 24hrs before our departure.

• Like 1

We were booked on a cruise for 04/11 on the Seaside with their balcony for the price of an inside offer. The cruise was cancelled by MSC, and we took the refund option. Our credit card was credited today for the full amount.

• Like 4

On 3/12/2020 at 11:16 AM, momofmeg said:

They will  when they return home. The government  could force an on  USA soil   quarantine as they did to the USA citizens on Grand Princess.  ( previously Diamond Princess)300 of them are at Dobbin Airforce Base right now. It is just a crying shame they did not do this when USA citizens flew back from Italy 2- 3 weeks ago when it was known there was an outbreak there. You know allow them back on US soil but then send them to quarantine.  Right now we have it in the state of  Georgia because of 2 Americans  (who live in Georgia)who came back from a business  meeting  in Milan Italy on February 24th. We now have 31 cases here.

Pretty bad here around Atlanta. So far it is traced back to a guy who had a business trip in Milan, Italy who returned home February 24th.  (first corona virus victim in Georgia) A few days alter another person  who had flew home from Italy was diagnosed.  If only they had been quarantined when they got back on US soil.

I read where one  person on cruisecritic  said everyone in the USA  with the virus can trace their virus back to the Princess cruise ships. Not Atlanta and the suburbs.  As I said,  it has been  traced back to Milan, Italy. 300 cases in Georgia (yesterday) and so far none have been traced back to those (or any other)cruise ships

Edited by momofmeg
  • Thanks 1

Our  March & April cruises were cancelled and still waiting on the decisions of MSC on the ones in May.  TA said to sit tight and wait and use the cancel withing 48 hrs. policy and take the FCC if they haven't cancelled them by then.  Would much prefer the refund of all monies paid in but will hope they change their policies again. It seems to be changing by the minute!!!  With crews being sent home(some stuck in airports or hotels due to lockdowns) it will take them a while to restaff and get ships ready to take on passengers again.  Just my thoughts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deliver42 said:

We got our refund back to our credit card today. It took one week, and we are very happy with MSC for the way it was handled. It was a paid in full cruise leaving 4/11.

Lucky you in Canada we have been told refund only after December 2021