MSC refund policy coronavirus

niko40

9 minutes ago, BrooklynCruiser said:

... How would they then reconcile this sailing with last week's updated announcement that "Anyone who has traveled to, from or through . . . Italy (or transited via airports) in the past 14 days, or visited, will be denied access to the ship."

It just changed from certain areas of Italy to all of Italy yesterday on the US website.  I expect an announcement with more information about this on Monday.  The situation is constantly changing so this is one area I would give MSC a little time to adjust.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the running update on MSC and refunds due to coronavirus.

My 87 year old mother and I were supposed to sail on on the Musica on 3/25 from Buenos Aires, arriving in Venice on 4/16.

As of last Monday, MSC US was not offering anything.  By the end of the week some from our sail were indicating that MSC would credit payment toward a future sailing.

However, things are changing fast...with the recommendation today by the US St Dept to not sail AND Italy's lockdown, refunds should be forthcoming, just need a little patience.

Again, thanks much for the thread.  

Happy and Safe Sailing 🛳

Edited by cshepard1965
  • Like 2

The latest update on the MSC UK site, NOTE the Reduced Temperature reading to 37.5 C

NEW ENHANCED PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES FOR ALL GUESTS AND CREW

UPDATE 9 MARCH

In light of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak that originated in China, MSC Cruises has undertaken a series of global actions since 24 January to secure the health and well-being of all guests and crew. As the situation continues to evolve, we continue to update our precautionary measures, and further enhanced them to protect everyone on board as per below:

Rigorous pre-embarkation illness screening:

• Anyone who has travelled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Iran, Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam or Macau, (or transited via airports) in the past 14 days, or visited, has been denied access to the ship. The same rules apply to such guests’ travel companions (parent, spouse, child, siblings, or a companion who shares a cabin);

• Anyone who has travelled to, from or through any of the following regions and provinces in northern Italy in the past 14 days, or visited, will be denied access: region Lombardy, and the following provinces: Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio Emilia, Rimini, Pesaro Urbino, Venice (Venezia), Padova, Treviso, Asti, Vercelli, Novara, Alessandria and Verbanio Cusio Ossola.

• Guests with signs or symptoms of illness such as fever (≥37.5 C°/99.5 F°) or feverishness, chills, cough or difficulty breathing have been will be denied boarding. The same rules applied to their travel companions;

• Anyone who, within 14 days before embarkation, has had close contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having coronavirus, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to novel coronavirus, has been denied boarding;

• MSC Cruises has conducted and continues to conduct pre-boarding screening to exclude persons who may be at risk;

• Guests with Chinese passports who have not travelled mainland China Hong Kong o Macao in the last 14 days and are in good health may board the ship. However in some countries local may deny access to holders of Chinese passports or who have travelled through some affected countries.

Keeping the ship free from infectious diseases:

• Throughout the cruise, at ports of call, guests and crew embarking and disembarking will be frequently checked by thermal cameras for fever symptoms;

• In addition, there has been and will continue to be an elevated deep-sanitation on every ship in our entire fleet. There is increased hand-washing for guests and crew, alcohol-based hand-sanitizers across the ship, increased continuous disinfection of public areas – especially frequently touched areas such as handrails, elevator buttons, door handles and reception desks.

At this point we can confirm there have been no cases of coronavirus on board any of our ships but we need your help to reduce the risk of infection by exercising the following routine precautions:

Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds, and help young children do the same. Where soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze. If a tissue is not immediately available, cough or sneeze into your upper arm.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.

Avoid personal contact, such sharing cups or eating utensils, with sick people.

11 minutes ago, sidari said:

The latest update on the MSC UK site, NOTE the Reduced Temperature reading to 37.5 C

NEW ENHANCED PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES FOR ALL GUESTS AND CREW

UPDATE 9 MARCH

In light of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak that originated in China, MSC Cruises has undertaken a series of global actions since 24 January to secure the health and well-being of all guests and crew. As the situation continues to evolve, we continue to update our precautionary measures, and further enhanced them to protect everyone on board as per below:

Rigorous pre-embarkation illness screening:

• Anyone who has travelled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Iran, Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam or Macau, (or transited via airports) in the past 14 days, or visited, has been denied access to the ship. The same rules apply to such guests’ travel companions (parent, spouse, child, siblings, or a companion who shares a cabin);

• Anyone who has travelled to, from or through any of the following regions and provinces in northern Italy in the past 14 days, or visited, will be denied access: region Lombardy, and the following provinces: Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio Emilia, Rimini, Pesaro Urbino, Venice (Venezia), Padova, Treviso, Asti, Vercelli, Novara, Alessandria and Verbanio Cusio Ossola.

• Guests with signs or symptoms of illness such as fever (≥37.5 C°/99.5 F°) or feverishness, chills, cough or difficulty breathing have been will be denied boarding. The same rules applied to their travel companions;

• Anyone who, within 14 days before embarkation, has had close contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having coronavirus, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to novel coronavirus, has been denied boarding;

• MSC Cruises has conducted and continues to conduct pre-boarding screening to exclude persons who may be at risk;

• Guests with Chinese passports who have not travelled mainland China Hong Kong o Macao in the last 14 days and are in good health may board the ship. However in some countries local may deny access to holders of Chinese passports or who have travelled through some affected countries.

Keeping the ship free from infectious diseases:

• Throughout the cruise, at ports of call, guests and crew embarking and disembarking will be frequently checked by thermal cameras for fever symptoms;

• In addition, there has been and will continue to be an elevated deep-sanitation on every ship in our entire fleet. There is increased hand-washing for guests and crew, alcohol-based hand-sanitizers across the ship, increased continuous disinfection of public areas – especially frequently touched areas such as handrails, elevator buttons, door handles and reception desks.

At this point we can confirm there have been no cases of coronavirus on board any of our ships but we need your help to reduce the risk of infection by exercising the following routine precautions:

Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds, and help young children do the same. Where soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze. If a tissue is not immediately available, cough or sneeze into your upper arm.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.

Avoid personal contact, such sharing cups or eating utensils, with sick people.

Just posted on the MSC USA site, as well. So much for info on itinerary changes/refunds, etc. Disappointing.

• Like 2

As expected nothing about refund/cancellation policy i have just called them and got the same old rubbish.

Were currently not offering refunds but you will have to claim through your insurance.

Absolutely disgusting.

• Like 1

I am appalled that they aren’t offering future cruise credits. Was this THE anticipated announcement or will there be another one? We sail on Seaside 3/21 and we do have trip insurance but it’s not “cancel for any reason” coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is on the US site, why is it different to the UK site with regard to Italians and also the Temperature difference ? US 38C, UK 37.5C Surely they should all be the same ? Come on MSC get your act together.

We are denying boarding to anyone from high-risk areas:
  • Anyone who has traveled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam, South Korea and Italy (or transited via airports) in the past 14 days, or visited, will be denied access to the ship. The same rules apply to such passengers’ travel companions (parent, spouse, child, siblings, or a companion who shares a stateroom) PLEASE NOTE: Travelers choosing to travel with their Italian passport but residing elsewhere must show official proof of residency. Residency must not be in one of the above countries. Travel history must also show that travelers did not come through one of those territories during the past 14 days;
Edited by sidari
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, niko40 said:

As expected nothing about refund/cancellation policy i have just called them and got the same old rubbish.

Were currently not offering refunds but you will have to claim through your insurance.

Absolutely disgusting.

I had an email from MSC UK earlier with details of those denied boarding due to Temperature, I will hold on to it for now because it may form part of their announcement later today or it could change.

We board this Saturday in Miami I have had no communication from them. We have a cruise in April on Celebrity and have had 2 emails from them already with all pertinent info regarding screening and refunds. MSC is SO disappointing! This can’t be their big announcement we’ve been waiting for!?

• Like 1

Sigh.  I was really hoping they'd let us cancel without keeping all of our money.  😞

I was willing to give MSC a shot, despite the reviews, but this kind of customer service doesn't get a 2nd chance.

• Like 4

I thought I would start a new thread because this simply can't be the new policy? There is zero availability for FCC. Even though the United States Government is recommending US citizens not cruise. This is crazy. Am I silly for hoping there is more to come later?

image.png.a39d4865b8f697dea1190edefc23a1d1.png

image.png.7097106d48ad99a8f8e94e0c3c7a5964.png

image.png.fb4d2b87a290e4702dc9b09e37b88da7.png

Mods please merge if you feel best.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Sigh.  I was really hoping they'd let us cancel without keeping all of our money.  [emoji20]

I was willing to give MSC a shot, despite the reviews, but this kind of customer service doesn't get a 2nd chance.

I completely agree. I was hoping for an announcement like RCI who seems to actually understand the seriousness of the situation and values their customers and the health of everyone. I was hoping to get a FCC that we could use next March. We are scheduled 3/21 and this will be our first and last MSC cruise. We’re going back to RCI after this. I also haven’t gotten any communication from them about this trip except for upgrade offers. I’m deeply disappointed and regret that I gave MSC a chance.

• Like 1

Boom!

Cruise DealsCruise Assurance Program Scroll to top 
CRUISE ASSURANCE PROGRAM

CANCEL UP TO 48 HOURS BEFORE YOUR CRUISE & RECEIVE A FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT
We want you to feel assured so we're allowing new and existing guests to cancel up to 48 hours prior to their cruise departure and reschedule for a future date. Effective March 10, 2020, Cruise Assurance is valid on sailings departing on or before July 31, 2020. If you choose to cancel your cruise and reschedule, a Future Cruise Credit will be given in the amount paid that is valid on any MSC cruise on or before December 31, 2021.

It looks like that's just an update to the page they have had on their website(s) this whole time.  I would expect that the policy announcement is still forthcoming...  I am on 4/6 Barcelona cruise on the Opera with Genoa as a port, so def looking forward to an official communication today.  

From the United States Travel Department (says much the same as CDC):

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html

6 minutes ago, Tara619 said:

I completely agree. I was hoping for an announcement like RCI who seems to actually understand the seriousness of the situation and values their customers and the health of everyone. I was hoping to get a FCC that we could use next March. We are scheduled 3/21 and this will be our first and last MSC cruise. We’re going back to RCI after this. I also haven’t gotten any communication from them about this trip except for upgrade offers. I’m deeply disappointed and regret that I gave MSC a chance.

I called yesterday and she said they had to make the decision with the head office. Bit did offer to move my cruise which is April to another date but I am on just a Teo night one and they don’t do many of them so be difficult as I am a teacher so chose this date as in school time off 

I need a refund really or my money is locked up like thousands   Mines not big money compared to lots of people but I agree a refund should be given 

FYI...my 70 year old parents just called and were able to cancel and get a FCC valid until December 2021.  We are scheduled to leave on the Meraviglia this Sunday.  They said the wait was long but there were no questions asked.  My husband, kids and I are all still going.  

4 minutes ago, florida_gal said:

It looks like that's just an update to the page they have had on their website(s) this whole time.  I would expect that the policy announcement is still forthcoming...  I am on 4/6 Barcelona cruise on the Opera with Genoa as a port, so def looking forward to an official communication today.  

Ours is on April 4th, so we're hoping the same. I can feel my stress rising today -- thank you for the cool head. 🙂