Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
HappyValley3

St. George First Time Questions

Recommended Posts

We have never been to St. George.   Some quick questions.  Thanks in advance.

 

Thinking of taking the ferry from the dockyard for our transportation.  

 

Does anyone know if they still have horse carriage rides, where do I find them and what times?  

 

Also, the dunking of the wench time.  

 

We would like to eat lunch at The Swizzle Inn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can take the ferry on any weekday. It is the best way to get there from the Dockyard. What cruise line are you on? ( If you are on NCL they run a complimentary ferry for NCL passengers)

 

The horse carriage rides are from the town square. She runs them back and forth from there. If you want to arrange a specific time there is a phone number here. https://www.gotobermuda.com/profile/bronco-stables-horse-and-carriage-bermuda/903

 

The wench ducking reneactment begins at 12:00 noon and ends about 12:30. Also in the town square. 

 

You can get to the Swizzle Inn by taxi or public bus. There are four bus routes from St. George's that go by the Swizzle Inn. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

FYI depending on your dates traveling, I read somewhere Dunking of the wench is not year round. We are going in April and I know it is not performing then. 

Edited by Snagler
Spelling error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Snagler said:

FYI depending on your dates traveling, I read somewhere Dunking of the wench is not year round. We are going in April and I know it is not performing then. 


Where did you get that information? They have been doing it year round. During the cruise season April to November the only days they don’t do it are on Friday and Sunday. In the winter season they have been doing it on Wednesday and Saturday. 

Edited by Charles4515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Snagler said:

FYI depending on your dates traveling, I read somewhere Dunking of the wench is not year round. We are going in April and I know it is not performing then.

Theres usually a handful of wench dunkings onboard your ship at the pool throughout the week in case you miss the official one shoreside!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Theres usually a handful of wench dunkings onboard your ship at the pool throughout the week in case you miss the official one shoreside!


😱 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Theres usually a handful of wench dunkings onboard your ship at the pool throughout the week in case you miss the official one shoreside!

Good one!   lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 8:16 AM, Charles4515 said:

You can take the ferry on any weekday. It is the best way to get there from the Dockyard. What cruise line are you on? ( If you are on NCL they run a complimentary ferry for NCL passengers)

 

The horse carriage rides are from the town square. She runs them back and forth from there. If you want to arrange a specific time there is a phone number here. https://www.gotobermuda.com/profile/bronco-stables-horse-and-carriage-bermuda/903

 

The wench ducking reneactment begins at 12:00 noon and ends about 12:30. Also in the town square. 

 

You can get to the Swizzle Inn by taxi or public bus. There are four bus routes from St. George's that go by the Swizzle Inn. 

 

 

We are sched to visit next April, and excited that NCL offers the tender to St.George,  How long is the tender ride?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tutuwahineLV said:

We are sched to visit next April, and excited that NCL offers the tender to St.George,  How long is the tender ride?? 

About 45 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

About 45 minutes.

thank you, that helps us plan our day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 11:16 AM, Charles4515 said:

You can get to the Swizzle Inn by taxi or public bus. There are four bus routes from St. George's that go by the Swizzle Inn. 

 

So this would entail traveling to Swizzle Inn and back by bus to get back to the ferry, which will take away precious time from your day. There is a great restaurant in St. George's-Wahoo's Bistro on Water Street. They have excellent seafood. You will not be disappointed. It has a patio on the water. Try one of the local fish specials--every one is excellent.

 

I love Swizzle Inn as well, it is a fun place. But if losing that tie from your day troubles you, go with Wahoo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  So this would entail traveling to Swizzle Inn and back by bus to get back to the ferry, which will take away precious time from your day. There is a great restaurant in St. George's-Wahoo's Bistro on Water Street. They have excellent seafood. You will not be disappointed. It has a patio on the water. Try one of the local fish specials--every one is excellent.

 

I love Swizzle Inn as well, it is a fun place. But if losing that tie from your day troubles you, go with Wahoo.

 

 

I prefer the Swizzle Inn to Wahoos. Because I like some fun. But Wahoos is okay. It does not take a lot of time getting to the Swizzle from St. George’s. In another post you recommended Grotto Bay from St. George’s. Grotto Bay is nearby the Swizzle. Also nearby is the Crystal Caves and Baileys ice cream which you noted in another post.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

 

I prefer the Swizzle Inn to Wahoos. Because I like some fun. But Wahoos is okay. It does not take a lot of time getting to the Swizzle from St. George’s. In another post you recommended Grotto Bay from St. George’s. Grotto Bay is nearby the Swizzle. Also nearby is the Crystal Caves and Baileys ice cream which you noted in another post.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

 

In my opinion, the food at Wahoo is much better. Swizzle can be fun, but it can also be quiet.  Wahoo can be great fun as well. 
 

I answered different questions from different cruisers with my opinions and suggestions. I know these places are close to each other, but as that had nothing to do with my response I do not understand your comment. Did I offend you somehow?

Edited by brzymom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
In my opinion, the food at Wahoo is much better. Swizzle can be fun, but it can also be quiet.  Wahoo can be great fun as well.   

I answered different questions from different cruisers with my opinions and suggestions. I know these places are close to each other, but as that had nothing to do with my response I do not understand your comment. Did I offend you somehow?

 

 

The OP said they wanted to eat lunch at the Swizzle Inn. Your reply to them seemed to imply there was not enough time to go there.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I love Swizzle Inn as well, it is a fun place. But if losing that tie from your day troubles you, go with Wahoo.

I didn’t say there wasn’t enough time. I said it would take time from their day to travel there and back by bus, and suggested a local restaurant that is quite good. You then said it wasn’t “fun”. 
 

if I’m traveling to/from St. George’s by ferry for the day, I would not like to give up part of that day to wait for, and then travel by bus and back for lunch. IMO, Wahoo is the better choice for great seafood. 

Edited by brzymom
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I didn’t say there wasn’t enough time. I said it would take time from their day to travel there and back by bus, and suggested a local restaurant that is quite good. You then said it wasn’t “fun”. 

 

if I’m traveling to/from St. George’s by ferry for the day, I would not like to give up part of that day to wait for, and then travel by bus and back for lunch. IMO, Wahoo is the better choice for great seafood. 

 

The Swizzle Inn is an iconic Bermuda spot. Known for Rum Swizzles. Wahoos is a good restaurant. But can find that lots of places. As far as the buses there are 4 bus routes that pass by the Swizzle so there is never a long wait for a bus either direction. Or a taxi can get people there who don’t want to do a bus. $20 each way. Last August we did the Swizzle one day. The Rum Swizzle and ambiance were well worth the trip. I was planning on Wahoos the second day but there were no tables available inside. Outside the chairs were all wet from a thunderstorm and they would not dry them off. We didn’t want to sit on wet seats. So we had lunch at The Wharf which also has outside seating with an ocean view. They were willing to dry off the seats for us. The Wharf is also a good restaurant with good seafood.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...