Will Princess Work with People

mcrcruiser

4 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I didn't know this, thanks for posting. I am on the japan cruisetour July 5-19 on the Diamond. I see Japan is not on the list you posted. I am not cancelling and will wait to see what happens. If Princess cancels then I'll look forward to that 25% savings on a future cruise which is a significant amount based on my cruise fare. Since we disembark 5 days before the Olympics it seems that there will be much consideration by Japan who might cancel the games if the virus is still a threat.

The Galapogos is looking better and better right now as a substitute cruise.

I am surprised Japan hasn't been added since the advisory/email came out early in the month before a lot of chaos hit.

I just checked out travel insurance prices for our trip this October.  It's too late for the CFAR option, but I wanted to see pricing with the regular cancellation benefits.

Princess was around $854

Allianz was $550 

Big Box store's Travelguard policy was $477

I still have to compare the benefits between Allianz and Travelguard.

Since we have pretty good travel benefits with our Chase credit card, and our medical insurance covers us anywhere in the world, including medical evacuation, we are primarily interested in additional cancellation/interruption coverage.

21 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

Ive never heard of a CC policy that includes CFAR, I think the OP was just saying they have trip insurance and tried to.claim interruption or cancellation due to the disease, which I have yet to see a policy that includes that, in any form (epidemic, pandemic etc).  which is why everyone is now recommending your policy have a CFAR provision.  If you find a CC that has this please let me know, Ill sign up for that in a heartbeat.

I would too. 

My reply to the poster was because s/he said "I was told by everyone I talked to that since it has been declared an epidemic by the CDC that insurances will not cover, even cancel for no reason".  To me, it seemed the poster believed this was true of all insurances, since CC insurance is not CFAR.

3 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

OP states 

"We are in our 80s &  have underlying medical conditions"

A reason to purchase insurance if I ever heard one. 

He does have coverage. Just not "cancel for any reason coverage".

14 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

OP states 

"We are in our 80s &  have underlying medical conditions"

A reason to purchase insurance if I ever heard one. 

I wonder if you can purchase insurance if you have pre-existing medical conditions.  Or maybe you can purchase it, but would they use that as an excuse to not pay the claim?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I wonder if you can purchase insurance if you have pre-existing medical conditions.  Or maybe you can purchase it, but would they use that as an excuse to not pay the claim?

A lot of policies cover pre-existing conditions, generally have to purchase before final payment, that’s the catch.

• Like 1

Not sure, but I get the impression that the OP’s b2b is in North America since there is a stop in California. If so, relax. The caronavirus threat is not a pandemic and many of the fears are overblown for various reasons. At their advanced age, the danger to the OPs is just as great if they caught the flu. SARS, the bird flu, y2k, Ebola were also going to kill us all. Calm down.

• Like 2

We are in the same risk category as the OP, and for the last several years have found it to be much more cost efficient to purchase the Princess insurance (our elite status gives us the free upgrade to Platinum coverage) PLUS an annual Evacuation/Medical policy.   Because the Princess insurance is not age based, it's much less expensive if you are over 75 or so.   Currently we're booked on the Royal May 9 cruise and are still watching developments to see if we'll go or use the insurance to cancel and rebook for later.

The problem some cruisers with serious illnesses have is that "Later" may be pretty short-term - it's a choice of taking our chances on going now or possibly never getting another chance.   So...if you have choices and it's only a matter of money, count your blessings!        

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Threedrones said:

Not sure, but I get the impression that the OP’s b2b is in North America since there is a stop in California. If so, relax. The caronavirus threat is not a pandemic and many of the fears are overblown for various reasons. At their advanced age, the danger to the OPs is just as great if they caught the flu. SARS, the bird flu, y2k, Ebola were also going to kill us all. Calm down.

True, but none of those other viruses were as contagious as this one. 

When I travel I look at insurance to possibly cover 3 separate items and then purchase appropriate coverage if I believe there is a significant risk with any of them.

First is the actual cost of the trip, essentially  things which are not refundable.  This is a clearly definable amount and the loss is actually mislabeled.  If you miss a trip for a reason and are unable to recover expenses you are not out of pocket for any sum greater than what you would have paid for the trip.  What you have lost is the experience of the trip.  You would have spent the money anyway so you do not actually end up cash poorer, but experience poorer.

Second is medical, so you need to know the extent of your current coverage and fill in to supplement that, depending on where your travels take you.

Third is evacuation cost.  This can be the great unknown and should be carefully evaluated.
Examples.  For an upcoming N.Y. to Quebec sojourn I will purchase minimal coverage as my need for medical excess is low and even evacuation is less significant as I would be comfortable in virtually all the ports of call were I too need some additional care pending recovery.  On the other hand for last month’s cruise to Antarctica I purchased the whole package of coverages as I realized that my risk was much greater given where we would be. 
My point is that insurance is NOT a one size fits all proposition and needs to be individualized as to risk on a case by case basis

1 hour ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Just as an aside......can UK travellers purchase CFAR? I must admit I have never noticed it as I have annual travel insurance.

Never seen it on this side of the pond. However, personally, I know very few people who don’t buy travel insurance over here - obviously not CFAR.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, villauk said:

Never seen it on this side of the pond. However, personally, I know very few people who don’t buy travel insurance over here - obviously not CFAR.

Sorry no idea what CFAR's are available for UK. Believe it or not.... you may want to check out David Abel's  you-tube page to ask which policy he gets in the UK. I believe he gets a lengthy term policy. 

Just and FYI to others....read your CFAR policies and pre-existing condition policies! Some require you to purchase within a short time frame after initial booking not final payment to receive full coverage and require the entire trip....hotels, flights, and cruise be included. Every trip we pre-check all our options before booking ..... policy and plans change often when you are not in a yearly plan. Depending on our trip and what company we are cruising with depends for us on what plan we use and sometimes means taking two plans for different payout options.

10 hours ago, Coral said:

It must be purchased by final payment. Yes -- too late.

It must be purchased by final payment DATE. My CVP assures me that I can still add it by that date, even though I accidentally paid off one of the cabins while applying Valentine's Day bonus gift cards.

4 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

It must be purchased by final payment DATE. My CVP assures me that I can still add it by that date, even though I accidentally paid off one of the cabins while applying Valentine's Day bonus gift cards.

You are right.

13 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Princess is a for profit business.

And they have an obligation to their stockholders.  I know the medical and evacuation insurance they sell through the cruiseline is probably not sufficient for most but, you just cannot beat it for cancel for any reason.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pcur said:

I just checked out travel insurance prices for our trip this October.  It's too late for the CFAR option, but I wanted to see pricing with the regular cancellation benefits.

Princess was around $854

Allianz was $550 

Big Box store's Travelguard policy was $477

I still have to compare the benefits between Allianz and Travelguard.

Since we have pretty good travel benefits with our Chase credit card, and our medical insurance covers us anywhere in the world, including medical evacuation, we are primarily interested in additional cancellation/interruption coverage.

10 hours ago, Magellan321 said:

Cancel for any reason with Princess is allowing it...... did it 2 days ago for friends traveling in April. It does not cover if you booked one of the non-refundable sales or one that had  non-refundable deposit. 

Are you saying that you are unable to get a future cruise credit in any amount with platinum coverage if you took out a non-refundable deposit?  I'm not aware of that ... 

Or, do you get back some future cruise credits minus the non-refundable deposit portion? 

I'm not trying to be snarky.... but will make sure none of my future sailings have a non-refundable deposit from here on out if it strikes out any and all future cruise credits?  I assume that is only for the CFAR portion and not for canceling for a medical reason.  

46 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

41 minutes ago, Coral said:

You are right.

44 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I always wait until final payment.

As you surely can see SOME is underlined .....companies other than Princess Platinum insurance offer  cancel for any reason with different terms and conditions that apply to how and when the purchase needs to be made to guarantee full coverage.