Will Princess Work with People

mcrcruiser

10 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Are you saying that you are unable to get a future cruise credit in any amount with platinum coverage if you took out a non-refundable deposit?  I'm not aware of that ... 

Or, do you get back some future cruise credits minus the non-refundable deposit portion? 

I'm not trying to be snarky.... but will make sure none of my future sailings have a non-refundable deposit from here on out if it strikes out any and all future cruise credits?  I assume that is only for the CFAR portion and not for canceling for a medical reason.  

CFAR that I completed did not have any FCC attached. I am aware of some people having issues in the last couple months with using their FCC when booking under the non-refundable deposit sales.

The claim I did had a $100 pp non-refundable deposit, so the cruise credits are being applied for the full fare minus the 100 pp. The taxes and port charges are already in process to be applied back onto the credit card used at time of booking. Honestly a lose of $200 plus cost of insurance wasn't horrible considering they could have lost all of the fare.

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

What benefit would Princess gain by a goodwill gesture to those up in years with compromised health conditions. To be blunt their marketing department looks at this group as circling the drain.

Ha --if not us how about our adult children & grand children & all their friends & social media

There is a course called win win negotiating 'which lets every one win . It is apparent that win /loose negotiating   is in play today  . When people/politicians / companies  always   think with zero compassion  they will pay a price   .It is only a matter of time

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Magellan321 said:

CFAR that I completed did not have any FCC attached. I am aware of some people having issues in the last couple months with using their FCC when booking under the non-refundable deposit sales.

The claim I did had a $100 pp non-refundable deposit, so the cruise credits are being applied for the full fare minus the 100 pp. The taxes and port charges are already in process to be applied back onto the credit card used at time of booking. Honestly a lose of $200 plus cost of insurance wasn't horrible considering they could have lost all of the fare.

I could live with that knowing I would only lose my non-refundable deposit and not the whole dang shabang.  I don't plan on canceling any of my future cruises, not even the one that is coming up in a little over a month ... but, on that one, I do have a non-refundable deposit.  If I have to cancel one of the other ones (for a wedding that doesn't have a date announced ... or whatever), I was only concerned it would be the entire cost of the cruise for which I couldn't swap out for future cruise credits.  If it's just the deposit ... that's fine.  It's the risk I signed up for.  But, again, I still plan on going but wanted to get a better understanding of it for all future bookings.  This is along the lines of what I thought it would be.  

28 minutes ago, Magellan321 said:

I have never booked a cruise with non-refundable deposit so I don't have real experience here.

Could this be because Princess insurance is not purchased until final payment? It may be added but not purchased. The benefit of paying for it at deposit is for the 60 day look back period but I wonder if it is to protect your non-refundable deposit also. Purely guessing. I don't have any any personal experience to rely on.

Edited by Coral

11 hours ago, trrn2016 said:

I have trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance thru my credit card. I have contacted my travel agent and the insurance. I was told by everyone I talked to that since it has been declared an epidemic by the CDC that insurances will not cover, even cancel for no reason.  They said to read the fine print. I would advise checking with your insurance, etc and see what you hear. Please let us know.

what credit card do you have?

24 minutes ago, trrn2016 said:

Chase Sapphire Preferred.

We also have that credit card & we got the same answer that pandemics or corona virus is not covered  My contention is that my booklet of benefits from August  2018 has NO words that pandemics are not insured  .Hmmm?  when did they change that language ? Was it after they knew that the virus was spreading ?

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We also have that credit card & we got the same answer that pandemics or corona virus is not covered  My contention is that my booklet of benefits from August  2018 has NO words that pandemics are not insured  .Hmmm?  when did they change that language ? Was it after they knew that the virus was spreading ?

I have a book dated 7/23/14 and it is not listed as a reason for not getting Trip Cancellation Insurance.  When I get the booklet online, there is one sentence that states trip cancellation will be denied when " Trip disinclination is due to epidemic or pandemic. Date is 12/1/19.

8 hours ago, Kartgv said:

We are in the same risk category as the OP, and for the last several years have found it to be much more cost efficient to purchase the Princess insurance (our elite status gives us the free upgrade to Platinum coverage) PLUS an annual Evacuation/Medical policy.   Because the Princess insurance is not age based, it's much less expensive if you are over 75 or so.   Currently we're booked on the Royal May 9 cruise and are still watching developments to see if we'll go or use the insurance to cancel and rebook for later.

The problem some cruisers with serious illnesses have is that "Later" may be pretty short-term - it's a choice of taking our chances on going now or possibly never getting another chance.   So...if you have choices and it's only a matter of money, count your blessings!        

As a point of information the free upgrade to Platinum coverage starts at Ruby status level.

22 minutes ago, brisalta said:

As a point of information the free upgrade to Platinum coverage starts at Ruby status level.

I understand that is normally what's stated BUT when I added GD14 to my cruise and bought her basic Princess Princess insurance they gave her a complementary upgrade to Platinum insurance. This will be her 2nd cruise and the medallion will be gold. (GD6 is blue, I'm black). Are they doing that just to keep people booking or is that a new benefit? Or is that just something my PVP did?

Edited by Ombud

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I understand that is normally what's stated BUT when I added GD14 to my cruise and bought her basic Princess Princess insurance they gave her a complementary upgrade to Platinum insurance. This will be her 2nd cruise and the medallion will be gold. (GD6 is blue, I'm black). Are they doing that just to keep people booking or is that a new benefit? Or is that just something my PVP did?

What is a a GD14 and a GD6?

15 hours ago, voljeep said:

Princess Platinum insurance - minimum $ 39 pp or 8% of cruise fare - whichever is greater 

we buy it every cruise - not an option for us not to

I wish we could buy this in Australia but for some unknown reason, Princess will not offer it to Australians!

1 hour ago, rickays said:

I wish we could buy this in Australia but for some unknown reason, Princess will not offer it to Australians!

Same in New Zealand. Princess doesn't offer insurance directly, so we have to rely on third-party travel insurance providers.

One thing to note: Australians and New Zealanders on Princess Cruises are booked through Carnival Corp's Sydney office, so fares sold are subject to Australian federal and New South Wales state law.

14 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

I wonder if you can purchase insurance if you have pre-existing medical conditions.  Or maybe you can purchase it, but would they use that as an excuse to not pay the claim?

14 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

A lot of policies cover pre-existing conditions, generally have to purchase before final payment, that’s the catch.

Also, your pre-existing condition must have been stable (no changes whatsoever, including prescription changes) during the previous xx days before purchasing the insurance.

7 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

$1,300 is a cheap price to pay, if one thinks their life is in danger.

Epidemic is a very encompassing term. Perhaps there might be a epidemic of passengers canceling a cruise? 

Really ;as long as it is not out of your pocket ,it is easy to say .  

I am one who believes we should not  have to pay to save our lives . Perhaps in a  dictatorship ;but ,certainly not in a free society 

Think about a win /win compromise vs a win /loose  . win win compromise wins friends  . win /loose   makes people angry  . 

Ask why does any American company not want to assure  future business  .Yeah , it is going to cost them  plenty to gain back people who they loose  during this emergency .That is if they even  survive . Remember the debt that they carry for building the new ships as well as paying off the older ones  is huge . I would not want to own cruise line stock  because the first thing they will do is cut the dividend to hope to pay down their high debt  .This industry requires constant huge cash flows

• Like 1

Princess is unlikely to survive this outbreak so no perhaps they should not have a heart. Now I am going to sound heartless but you should have waited and let them cancel the cruise for you in which a refund would have been made and it is likely that will happen. The outbreak in Seattle may spread who knows how far but it will spread. That will likely affect the coastal, alaska and maybe even hawaii cruises. Purchase insurance as has been said and even have gone on the cruise you have paid for. My father is 81  we are going on the QM2 eastbound late april and we are not really concerned. If it is going to happen it is going to happen. I don't think you can avoid this virus it is just going to be out there.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

I am one who believes we should not  have to pay to save our lives . Perhaps in a  dictatorship ;but ,certainly not in a free society Tell this to your doctor or the hospital the next time you need their service.  

Think about a win /win compromise vs a win /loose  . win win compromise wins friends  . win /loose   makes people angry  . 

Ask why does any American company not want to assure  future business  .Yeah , it is going to cost them  plenty to gain back people who they loose  during this emergency .That is if they even  survive . Remember the debt that they carry for building the new ships as well as paying off the older ones  is huge . I would not want to own cruise line stock  because the first thing they will do is cut the dividend to hope to pay down their high debt  .This industry requires constant huge cash flows

The problem is that you are living in a different world back in the day where customer satisfaction was important and it was a lot simpler to satisfy a customer.  Fast forward 50 years. We live in a world that isn't brand loyal and litigation has replaced customer service. You agreed to the cruise contract. They are honoring the contract by not refunding you the money. If they refund you they would have to refund every one in the same situation. Word would spread through social media that Princess is refunding cruise fares and the phones will be blowing up with every one trying to get the same deal.  There is no win for the cruise line. To add the next time it happens the same people will be expecting the same exception. The only person angry here is you. There is no loose to anyone reading this thread and I wouldn't book another cruise with Princess based on how they handled your situation. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I could live with that knowing I would only lose my non-refundable deposit and not the whole dang shabang.  I don't plan on canceling any of my future cruises, not even the one that is coming up in a little over a month ... but, on that one, I do have a non-refundable deposit.  If I have to cancel one of the other ones (for a wedding that doesn't have a date announced ... or whatever), I was only concerned it would be the entire cost of the cruise for which I couldn't swap out for future cruise credits.  If it's just the deposit ... that's fine.  It's the risk I signed up for.  But, again, I still plan on going but wanted to get a better understanding of it for all future bookings.  This is along the lines of what I thought it would be.  

Hopefully you will never need to use the insurance! Just pay close attention to the fare you book under and all is well. Also, remember if you believe the claim is excluded under the regular portion of the insurance(like this lovely virus).... look for the cancel for any reason box and it skips the submit paperwork and the sometimes few weeks

wait for review.

4 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

I am one who believes we should not  have to pay to save our lives . Perhaps in a  dictatorship ;but ,certainly not in a free society 

What is being suggested makes no sense to me....Princess offers the option to buy insurance and if people turn it down then to me that is on them.  I guess if I own a car and chose not to buy car insurance and then get in a wreck I do not expect a car company or insurance company to come in and rescue me because I made the decision whether it was my fault or not?  

• Like 8