Layover in Korea? Now can’t go on the cruise

amcankid

I have a coworker who is frustrated because his wife switched planes in Korea on her way back from 3 days ago and now with the new rules she will be denied boarding next week.  They are traveling with another couple who probably won’t be able to be refunded their money if they cancel, but they don’t want to go if my coworker and his wife don’t go.

it seems silly that this new rule applies to someone who simply switched planes in an airport.

My coworker is considering taking a chance on going since Carnival won’t refund the other couple. And before any person starts slamming me, the argument we have is what difference does it make if she walked from one gate to another in Korea, or if she flew on a different airline that did not stop in Korea but then stood in the immigration line at LAX with passengers who got off the plane from Korea.

Just wondering what is the procedure that the cruise ships are doing to screen people.

6 minutes ago, amcankid said:

I have a coworker who is frustrated because his wife switched planes in Korea on her way back from 3 days ago and now with the new rules she will be denied boarding next week.  They are traveling with another couple who probably won’t be able to be refunded their money if they cancel, but they don’t want to go if my coworker and his wife don’t go.

it seems silly that this new rule applies to someone who simply switched planes in an airport.

My coworker is considering taking a chance on going since Carnival won’t refund the other couple. And before any person starts slamming me, the argument we have is what difference does it make if she walked from one gate to another in Korea, or if she flew on a different airline that did not stop in Korea but then stood in the immigration line at LAX with passengers who got off the plane from Korea.

Just wondering what is the procedure that the cruise ships are doing to screen people.

Since the passport would not have been stamped, then they probably wouldn't know. But that would be lying.

The virus is apparently sooo contagious she should be worried about having "simply switched planes" in a country reporting an outbreak. No way to know who touched what or who might be sick.

If you found out people lied to get on your ship and then an outbreak happened because of it, I bet you would be plenty outraged.

If the other couple doesn't want to go without them, that is on them and their loss. Or they should have purchased cancel for any reason insurance. Nobody can control what may happen. God forbid one of the travelers could have had an accident, or a family emergency. Things can happen.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

What difference does it make?  Who the heck knows.  Are the rules too strict or too lax? Again, who the heck knows.

Here's what we do know. 1) Six people have died so far from the Diamond Princess situation. 2) Your coworker doesn't get to make up the rules as they go.

• Like 5

I am wondering if there is an outbreak on the ship and it can be linked back to this co-worker, would people who were quarantined/get sick/possibly die from this be able to put together a wrongful death/civil lawsuit for lost wages, etc because this person LIED to government officials regarding their whereabouts? I am by no means a "Sue everyone!" type of person, but I do think that putting THOUSANDS of people at risk KNOWINGLY falls under gross negligence. And, if I personally knew of a person who attempted to do this, I would be alerting the cruiseline. It is people like this, who think the rules do not apply to them, who are going to wind up spreading this disease to those of us who follow the rules. 

• Like 3

Is there a Korean stamp or visa in the passport? If the person remained airside, that person was officially not in South Korea 😉

And we need to stop that hysteria! 

Edited by Despegue
  • Like 4

On a slightly lighter note. My wife just got word that when she returns from our Cabo San Lucas timeshare week in May, she will be self quarantined from her office for 2 weeks. She will work from home for those 2 weeks. Not shedding a lot of tears over this decision (no work commute for 2 weeks).

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, SDPadreFan said:

On a slightly lighter note. My wife just got word that when she returns from our Cabo San Lucas timeshare week in May, she will be self quarantined from her office for 2 weeks. She will work from home for those 2 weeks. Not shedding a lot of tears over this decision (no work commute for 2 weeks).

The company policy is to quarantine her?  With pay I hope 🙂 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PatsFan1224 said:

The company policy is to quarantine her?  With pay I hope 🙂 

Absolutely with pay 🙂. They just announced the policy this morning at a meeting. Now we are hoping they will do the same thing after our B2B on the Magic in October.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, amcankid said:

They gave a simple form like the previous forms used for checks asking if you had been in certain places including Korea. I think they scanned your passport for visits

• Like 1

Hope she’s not getting on the same ship I’m getting on next week!   I’d actually be angry.... Very selfish move.   Sorry the other couple can’t cruise without her.   And yes, she could have been exposed walking from one plane to another.  Don’t you think the people working at the airport could have been exposed since they live there?  Other travelers? She might be able to get away with it but it would be just wrong.

Edited by toothfary7
  • Like 1

Everyone lies. As Goerge Costanza Would say - it’s not a lie if you believe it. 
If carnival won’t do the right thing by people it’s inviting them to lie - I would suggest the cruiselines do what’s right and people will be forthcoming.

That said never lied to get on a cruise - maybe bent the truth a bit! But I saw sicker people at the terminal. 

For those who choose to scold me or my coworker, thanks for your opinion. But I think the point was missed entirely. She does not have any symptoms whatsoever. It would be different if she had a fever, or a slight cough or something. But in fact she is as healthy as can be. Just bad luck that she picked Korean airlines to fly back to the states. And don’t try to say she could be carrying and transmitting Coronavirus without showing symptoms because I got news for you. You could be a carrier yourself. I cannot stress enough that she never went more than a couple hundred yards from one gate to the next. 

Long story short, she finally talked with one Carnival rep who actually knew what she was doing. They were able to cancel the cruise entirely and now they will have to submit proof of her stopping in Korea on the way to the states.

So in other words, they were not going to let her on the ship, but now the onus is on her to prove that she was not supposed to be able to get on the ship in the first place. Doesn’t make sense. But thankfully the last rep was able to clarify everything including the fact that all three people going have had contact with her which makes them ineligible to board the ship also, so everybody is refunded. Well not  quite refunded yet. They still have to submit the form with proof of her flying and with proof of their contact with her. but they were assured by the rep that they will get their money back. If not, I will be posting much more stuff on cruise critic about carnival.

They have now booked another cruise two weeks later. But now of course they are keeping their fingers crossed that cruises in general are not canceled altogether.

• Like 1