Extra specialty dining nights

Petoonya

We were among that last group to make specialty dining reservations (45 days prior) and there was only one night on available 4 nites for a table for 2. While I don't mind dining with others, having a table for 2 on those nights makes it extra special.

I've only cruised 6 times on O before and last was 2 years ago. For the life of me can't remember how, when or where I can inquire about possible extra nights in specialties or chances of switching large to small table. I vaguely remember speaking to the maitre'd at the entrance to the dining rooms but don't remember what time of day that was.

Thanks for following my long questions and for your answer.

• Like 1

The place to start is on embarkation day ASAP.

There will be a place assigned by cabin category where one can make specialty reservations as not everyone has made them online. Hence they have a number of openings reserved for this purpose - so the sooner you go there the better.

After that, there is a place to make extra reservations for the same day - on O ships it is a desk on deck 5, on R ships at the starboard entrance to the Terrace.

PS You can try calling Oceania now and see what they can do for you as you explain your situation to them.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Paul;

Last summer on the Nautica they were using a desk on Deck 5 for extra Specialty Reservations. They weren’t doing it in theTerrace. 

Seems to me they were using the OCA desk from 8-10 or 11, until whatever time she started work. 

Be interesting to see what is currently happening on other R ships. 

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Paul;

Last summer on the Nautica they were using a desk on Deck 5 for extra Specialty Reservations. They weren’t doing it in theTerrace. 

Seems to me they were using the OCA desk from 8-10 or 11, until whatever time she started work. 

Yes. Once the R ships were renovated (except for Nautica -still not done), the reservations seemed to move to a new desk where the piano was on 5. (At least, that's what I think I remember from Sirena this past December). 

We just got off Nautica and it was the traditional Terrace Cafe podium at the portside entrance. However, on embarkation day, it was the OCA desk on 5.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Paul;

We were on the Regatta last month, and there was a desk on Deck 5 for Speciality Reservations (opposite side to where the OC Ambassador's desk); was open at 8 AM all days and I believe till 6 PM though not sure if 6 PM applied on busy shore days. Recall the times were posted on the desk. The staff were very helpful to move and in our case add a reservation.

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes. Once the R ships were renovated (except for Nautica -still not done), the reservations seemed to move to a new desk where the piano was on 5. (At least, that's what I think I remember from Sirena this past December). 

We just got off Nautica and it was the traditional Terrace Cafe podium at the portside entrance. However, on embarkation day, it was the OCA desk on 5.

Thanks for those updates.

4 hours ago, Paulchili said:

PS You can try calling Oceania now and see what they can do for you as you explain your situation to them.

Good luck!

Thanks Paul. I did call O and they referred me to my TA. To look at my husband he is strong as a bull looks like young Arnold, but an old health problem reared it's ugly head recently. He will decline quickly now all the more reason we'd sure like those tables for two. I contacted my wonderful TA and hopefully she can work some magic but if not have a good feeling we'll get something great onboard. Fortunately we're totally flexible- what there is, is what we want, so there is that.

Thanks once again to all who've helped.

Now we hope that cruise is not cancelled. His doc says not to worry about COVID-19- no immune deficiency.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about your husband's health problems.  I'm going through the same with my husband so I  empathize.

I've said elsewhere (not sure on which thread) that there was a glitch we encountered with a Polo reservation a year ago on Riviera.  We had a reservation for 7:30 to share but when we showed up they told us our reservation had been for 6:30.  Nope, never was, never would be!  They reassured me that they accommodated the other couple, and they found us a table for two.  In a corner, but it was fine!

Which makes me think that accommodations can be made, even if you don't show up for a "proper" reservation.  I suppose it helps if you already had a reservation but glitches arose ...  I doubt you could just arrive without a reservation unless there is a last minute cancellation or no-show.  But in our case, it worked out.

By all means check when you board to see what you can have.  They do NOT sell out all reservations to online people ...there are too many who don't book anything online.

Mura

We've had good luck getting last minute reservations on rough sea days. Shore days at locations where longer excursions are popular also create opportunities for extra reservations. People return to the ship are tired and decide to go the the Terrace instead. We make reservations for a table for two only. Flexibility on the time helps, but we prefer 6:30. Don't be shy about asking 2 - 3 times per day. 

Good luck and happy dining!

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
  • Like 1

I can't remember the reason why, but one time we went to a specialty dining room right when they opened at 6:30 and asked if they could accommodate us. At 6:45, we were seated because people hadn't shown up for their reservation.

1 hour ago, Andee said:

I can't remember the reason why, but one time we went to a specialty dining room right when they opened at 6:30 and asked if they could accommodate us. At 6:45, we were seated because people hadn't shown up for their reservation.

That is how it was handled in the bad old "before we could reserve online days".  

Getting Specialty Restaurant Reservations was the very first thing that everyone did on the ship, once upon a time.

🤓

16 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks everyone- really helps a lot.

RE-LAX        From experience have taken the same cruise PPT/LAX on the Regatta I can tell you there never was a day that I could not get some sort of specialty.    While it sounds nice to have your butler and have to shell out  for $$$$$$$$$ cabins I was able to do it from  lowly inside ( which on the Regatta are maybe the best location ),just about all the reservations, at sea ,that I wanted!!!   However the Main Dining room was so good as was the Terrace that I soon preferred them to the specialties !!!!     Seriously, how many times can you eat of the same exact limited menu of the specialties ?    After several cruises  I find myself not  so excited with Polo and Toscana or Red Ginger....  (Jacques is the exception)...   Many times the Terrace becomes a true gourmet experience with so many mix and match possibilities.

Whereas the Terrace and Main Dining room will change every day for your cruise............

Edited by Hawaiidan

The current system primarily used for additional reservations is:

1. You make a request for an additional reservation via the desk, or your Butler.

2. They notify you if you get the reservation, typically after 2:00 or 3:00, or if you are waitlisted.

3. When they have no shows, they called those on the waitlist first.

The reason for implementing this was to discourage or eliminate those that wanted to lounge around and/or wait outside the restaurant every night. Some would come every night to camp out trying for a spot. Additionally, there were complaints about cruisers blatantly  “ palming “ the hostess/ Maitre de for extra reservations. 

However, having seen this procedure used on two different ships within the past year, does not mean it’s consistently used. Not sure if anything on Oceania is done consistently! Others may well have seen different techniques used.

There seemed to be a few empty tables every night at every time because they seem to be booking according to what the staff and kitchen can cope with. I seem to remember that if you had a booking, it was relatively simple to ask for a table for two during the afternoon or even when arriving at dinner because you were not changing overall numbers.