Day in Southampton

cruisethirsty

I'm planning to do a round-trip Trans Atlantic on the QM2 from New York. The only "port of call" is Southampton where many passengers will leave the cruise and others embark for the one way trip to New York. I would like to spend time on shore in Southampton but don't know how much time I will have since different cruise lines and ports handle "in-transit" passengers in different ways. Has anyone done the round-trip and can give me some idea as to what time I could expect to get off the ship? Also, would the on-board time be the usual half-hour before sailing as in most ports or do they require an earlier return?

4 minutes ago, cruisethirsty said:

I'm planning to do a round-trip Trans Atlantic on the QM2 from New York. The only "port of call" is Southampton where many passengers will leave the cruise and others embark for the one way trip to New York. I would like to spend time on shore in Southampton but don't know how much time I will have since different cruise lines and ports handle "in-transit" passengers in different ways. Has anyone done the round-trip and can give me some idea as to what time I could expect to get off the ship? Also, would the on-board time be the usual half-hour before sailing as in most ports or do they require an earlier return?

You can use your D early disembarking (if D).  Or leave when you wish after 09.00

Suggest you skip Southampton and go to Portsmouth for the Mary Rose Exhibition.

The latest boarding time will be confirmed to you the day before

Just now, cruisethirsty said:

What is the "D"? I might go to Portsmouth if I have enough time because the dockyards/Mary Rose seems like it would be really good but quite time consuming. Thanks for your reply.

Cunard Diamond member early disembarkation concession.  Off about 08.15/30

Sorry, should have detailed fuller.  Mary Rose is spellbinding.

42 minutes ago, cruisethirsty said:

When is your voyage, cruisethirsty? That will help determine how much time you will have in Southampton.

Most of the westbound crossings through October of this year have a scheduled departure time of 6:30pm from Southampton. The all-aboard time for in-transit passengers would indeed be 30 minutes before that, at 6:00pm. One exception to that is the August 14, 2020 westbound crossing with a departure time from Southampton of 9:00pm.

Starting with the December 1, 2020 westbound crossing, the departure time returns to the more typical 5:00pm, meaning the all-aboard time would be 4:30pm.

Edited by bluemarble

By the way, as an in-transit passenger, I don't think you have to wait for any specific disembarkation time as you would if you were finally disembarking the voyage in Southampton and had to collect your luggage. When I've been on round-trip crossings such as yours, cruisethirsty, I've gotten off the ship in Southampton as early as 8:00am simply by informing the staff at the gangway that I am in-transit.

2 hours ago, cruisethirsty said:

From my experience this fall [M929B, two Southampton days] the UK paperwork is done on board, so you can just walk off with the self disembarking passengers.  I just made a quick trip to Boots, returning before the terminal was ready for arriving passengers to check in. This resulted in a detour through the baggage area to the crew check in on deck 1. [I needed the umbrella I was carrying for some of the walk back to the terminal]

Over in the "ports of call - Europe - British isles/western Europe" forum, there are some posts by John Bull describing some sample DIY tours - to Portsmouth, Salisbury / Stonehenge, Isle of Wight, or local Southampton sights.

We had two low key/local days - The first was a rainy Sunday, so about an hour after my Boots excursion, we caught a taxi to St Michael's church, and an Uber back to the ship after the service and Tea.

Our second layover day was the following Friday [sunny 🙂 ] we both had picked up a sinus infection [did not respond to the over the counter decongestant from Boots, needed prescriptions from the QM2 medical center ]. Mrs Bear put out the word on Facebook that we would be hanging out at "The Dancing Man" - a brew pub across from the Red Funnel ferry terminal. We did get a chance to meet some of her facebook friends, and had a pleasant couple of hours - and nice beer.

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies. My plans are flexible at this point so I think what I'll do is pick out the itinerary (except for Winter) that has the most time in Southampton so I'll be able to do more ashore. If in-transit passengers can, indeed, get off very early, that would be just great! Again, thanks to all for the help. I should have enough info now to make a decision once I go through Cunard's itineraries more carefully.

If just going to the the Town - Insider tip for those who wish to use.

On exiting the terminal, follow the Crew to the "Crew Shuttle Coach" - It's Free and runs like clockwork every 30 minutes each way.  Drop off and pick-up point in town is  close to the rear of the main shopping centre, just a short walk to Cunard House. 

1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

Would you drive in the UK?

We've rented a car for the day (Hertz is located close by near Ikea) and driven to Corfe Castle on an in-transit day. 

As a local, I would think it I should hardly worth the hassle of,getting a car. Unless you are lucky, the traffic will be dire. I should stay in Southampton, which is a much more interesting town than people think - city walls, merchants house, Sea City Museum, art gallery in Town Hall. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

As a local, I would think it I should hardly worth the hassle of,getting a car. Unless you are lucky, the traffic will be dire. I should stay in Southampton, which is a much more interesting town than people think - city walls, merchants house, Sea City Museum, art gallery in Town Hall. 

I am not a local, but I agree. For the most recent westbound TA we did, we arranged for a full day in Southampton before boarding (spent two nights in town), whereas on previous TAs we had arrived in the evening the day before departure. All of the items mentioned above proved to be interesting, except that the Sea City Museum was closed that day for "staff training" - a fact they failed to mention on their Web site. Otherwise, it was quite interesting to wander around Southampton for the day.

We were also there during the time of the Christmas Market, but other than a walk-through for looking about, we did not really spend a lot of time in it. 

Traffic on QM2 departure day was indeed "dire," if not worse.

22 hours ago, cruisethirsty said:

As other have said, you can depart about any time you want to. As for things to do. Cunard does offer several tours that are worth while if you haven't visited the UK extensively. The two I think are good value are the tour to Windsor Castle, and the Tour to Stonehenge. The advantage of buying these from Cunard is that the ship will not leave until you return, so there is no risk of being left behind. You can check your voyager personaliser for details of the offerings for your visit. On my last day in Southampton last September, Cunard also offered a shuttle bus to the large shopping center in Southampton: Westquay which has a nice selection of department stores and shops if you want a souvenir of your time in England. 

Winchester is a nice place and easy to get to by train.  Portsmouth is well worth a visit as well.  If you go by train go to Portsmouth Harbour.  You will see HMS Warrior as soon as you leave the station.  Mary Rose and HMS Victory are an easy walk away.  

Edited by Lanky Lad

I won't be driving in the UK but I don't mind getting around by train. Have done it on several occasions. Thanks for the tour suggestions. Have already been to Windsor Castle. Since it appears I'll have sufficient time on shore I will get away from Southampton. I'm leaning towards Portsmouth because the Dockyards tickles my history fancy. But, Winchester is still an option especially if the time available is shorter than I would like it do be to do Portsmouth. Once again, thanks to all for the numerous suggestions AND info on Cunard's disembark/embark procedures in Southampton for R/T passengers.

11 hours ago, cruisethirsty said:

I won't be driving in the UK but I don't mind getting around by train. Have done it on several occasions. Thanks for the tour suggestions. Have already been to Windsor Castle. Since it appears I'll have sufficient time on shore I will get away from Southampton. I'm leaning towards Portsmouth because the Dockyards tickles my history fancy. But, Winchester is still an option especially if the time available is shorter than I would like it do be to do Portsmouth. Once again, thanks to all for the numerous suggestions AND info on Cunard's disembark/embark procedures in Southampton for R/T passengers.

Also be aware of what day you will be arriving in Southampton because it will have an effect on availability of trains especially weekends.

Yes, the train schedules are different on the weekend but I've got something picked out for Sunday to Portsmouth that should work. That is my plan for the day unless I wind up having to stay on the ship a bit longer, in which case I'll head for Winchester.

On 3/5/2020 at 4:03 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

If just going to the the Town - Insider tip for those who wish to use.

On exiting the terminal, follow the Crew to the "Crew Shuttle Coach" - It's Free and runs like clockwork every 30 minutes each way.  Drop off and pick-up point in town is  close to the rear of the main shopping centre, just a short walk to Cunard House. 

Can passengers ride the "Crew Shuttle Coach"?  Would we be able to get off the ship in time to get on the 0900 shuttle (We are not Ds)?  We are renting a car from Hertz ( I think the shuttle gets us near that) and then driving to to see Highclere Castle for a tour.  We are doing this on a Monday and Google Maps shows its about 34 miles and 40 minutes and plan to be back in plenty of time for when the QM2 heads to Hamburg.  Thanks!!

38 minutes ago, goseadogs said:

Can passengers ride the "Crew Shuttle Coach"?  Would we be able to get off the ship in time to get on the 0900 shuttle (We are not Ds)?  We are renting a car from Hertz ( I think the shuttle gets us near that) and then driving to to see Highclere Castle for a tour.  We are doing this on a Monday and Google Maps shows its about 34 miles and 40 minutes and plan to be back in plenty of time for when the QM2 heads to Hamburg.  Thanks!!

Allow two hours for the return journey, at least: the A34 is a nightmare.

On 3/4/2020 at 9:07 PM, cruisethirsty said:

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies. My plans are flexible at this point so I think what I'll do is pick out the itinerary (except for Winter) that has the most time in Southampton so I'll be able to do more ashore. If in-transit passengers can, indeed, get off very early, that would be just great! Again, thanks to all for the help. I should have enough info now to make a decision once I go through Cunard's itineraries more carefully.

You might look for a cruise that has a three day short stay in coastal Europe at the end of the eastbound crossing before it returns to NYC. I have done that several times, Got off in Southampton, spent three days in Scotland or England and returned on the westbound crossing. That will give you plenty of time to go where ever you want to go. 

2 hours ago, goseadogs said:

Yes, guests are welcome to ride.  

You can try to disembark and just go with the flow, with a big smile.  

Unable to give confirmation on times of crew shuttle.