Corona Virus and Royal Caribbean

Called  my TA as I heard that other Cruise lines are allowing passengers to cancel with a credit on any of their upcoming cruises, no matter where they are going. Was told that RCI has no plans on doing so that they know of and my paid insurance wont help me.   We leave in 2 weeks from Bayonne and will  most likely give up our rooms and loose our money, but it is better than the alternative. I will not subject my family to potential quarantine and death.   This is supposed to be a relaxed vacation. I realize its not RCI fault, but they know its a breeding ground for the Contravirus. I only hope that  RCI,  like other Companies are doing,  will do the right thing and offer refunds.  As a once a year Cruiser, I will take RCI off my list if they dont and I am sure they will lose many royal customers.  Profits before peoples safety!!!!   I hope someone in Management is reading this.  I am not saying cancel, but offer a refund or credit for those who want it. Or at least to those who have autoimmune issue or disabilities.  I am traveling with a severely  disabled daughter , if she contracts the virus or is put in quarantine, there will be a very bad outcome.  Please RCI do the right thing!!! 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Les57 said:

Wrong,  Norwegian is  making temporary changes to its policies, allowing passengers to rebook travel on other cruises up to June 30 .  Its right in their website and my TA told me so is Princess.

You need to read their policy. It only allows you to make changes up to 60 days prior to sailing and does nothing for people like you who are 2 weeks out.  FYI Royal has also done this for some of their European sailings 

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/norwegian-uniworld-update-change-policies-over-coronavirus

The temporary modifications to Norwegian’s policies are as follows:

7F4E41EB-8508-4A98-9927-9BB09D6CF089.png

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 4

We are sailing in May and have cancel for any reason insurance.  We will wait it out.  If we were sailing in two weeks, I am not sure what I would do at this point.  We did sail a month ago and were nervous flying more than cruising.  I understand the frustration, especially with pre-existing conditions.  I would wait it out and see what happens in the next two weeks before you do cancel.  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Relaxedfun said:

We cancelled our cruise today, lost half the money.  The cruise was from Rome, first week in May.  We feel good about  our decision, but I feel like RC is being stingy not to offer a future credit.  

Wow. I am sorry to hear that. But I guess you have to do what you think is correct for your family. May is 2 months away. I think I would have kept the sailing. Things seem to be changing rather quickly. I am sorry for your financial loss. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Les57 said:

Called  my TA as I heard that other Cruise lines are allowing passengers to cancel with a credit on any of their upcoming cruises, no matter where they are going. Was told that RCI has no plans on doing so that they know of and my paid insurance wont help me.   We leave in 2 weeks from Bayonne and will  most likely give up our rooms and loose our money, but it is better than the alternative. I will not subject my family to potential quarantine and death.   This is supposed to be a relaxed vacation. I realize its not RCI fault, but they know its a breeding ground for the Contravirus. I only hope that  RCI,  like other Companies are doing,  will do the right thing and offer refunds.  As a once a year Cruiser, I will take RCI off my list if they dont and I am sure they will lose many royal customers.  Profits before peoples safety!!!!   I hope someone in Management is reading this.  I am not saying cancel, but offer a refund or credit for those who want it. Or at least to those who have autoimmune issue or disabilities.  I am traveling with a severely  disabled daughter , if she contracts the virus or is put in quarantine, there will be a very bad outcome.  Please RCI do the right thing!!! 

We are sailing with you and are not overly concerned.  We are taking hand sanitizer, Lisol wipes, etc., and are planning to wash, wash, wash our hands.  We will also avoid (usually do anyway) the Windjammer as well as the elevators.

We're leaving on the Harmony in like 2 weeks, do have the cruise insurance so we could get the 75% credit, and we'll probably wait until a few days before we fly out to decide what we're doing. I have to say though, with the whole Princess thing, it's not looking good for us. It's the whole "quarantined on the ship" thing that we want to avoid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Relaxedfun said:

We cancelled our cruise today, lost half the money.  The cruise was from Rome, first week in May.  We feel good about  our decision, but I feel like RC is being stingy not to offer a future credit.  

Feeling your pain.  Our relatives also cancelled their cruise but only lost their deposits (4 cabins).  Allure, Barcelona roundtrip with 3 stops in Italy.  They contacted RC up until the last before final payment.  RC was firm...as we expected. They also already had airfares booked separately...the airline told them they have a year to use it.

It was an extremely difficult decision for them because it was multi-generational cruise that involved the grandchildren and a 50th wedding anniversary.  Ultimately, they felt it wasn't safe.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beachnative said:

We are sailing with you and are not overly concerned.  We are taking hand sanitizer, Lisol wipes, etc., and are planning to wash, wash, wash our hands.  We will also avoid (usually do anyway) the Windjammer as well as the elevators.

Are you on the 3/22 Anthem sailing?

10 hours ago, Les57 said:

While I certainly understand your situation, this is another perfect example of why you should buy insurance that allows you to cancel for any reason. The bottom line is a little better planning on your part could have avoided your current situation. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

While I certainly understand your situation, this is another perfect example of why you should buy insurance that allows you to cancel for any reason. The bottom line is a little better planning on your part could have avoided your current situation. 

that’s right, blame the consumer, who made a reservation 6 months ago before anyone knew what coronavirus was. 

this is absurd.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

That's a bit harsh.  I bought insurance and the question of "cancel for any reason" was not even broached - TA told me there was a particular 3rd party insurance they recommended and was better than some of the other products.  We bought it.  But as it turns out it does not cover "fear of traveling".  When I booked the cruise the idea of a potential pandemic didn't really cross my mind.  I thought I had done my due diligence purchasing insurance and was not even aware of the different types of insurance.  As luck would have it my son has severe asthma and has breathing issues whenever he contracts a cold so he is in the high risk category.  

Edited by travelgirl528
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jknc said:

that’s right, blame the consumer, who made a reservation 6 months ago before anyone knew what coronavirus was. 

this is absurd.

The whole point of purchasing travel insurance is because you don’t know what may happen in the future that may impact your cruise.

• Like 9

Do you have insurance?  Would not a doctor’s note saying it is not safe for your daughter to travel be sufficient?  Just speculating.  Was at the Drs office this week with DH who has preexisting health issues.  She advised him not to travel and will sign a document saying so.  We will be canceling upcoming trip in 10 days.  Katherine

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Do you have insurance?  Would not a doctor’s note saying it is not safe for your daughter to travel be sufficient?  Just speculating.  Was at the Drs office this week with DH who has preexisting health issues.  She advised him not to travel and will sign a document saying so.  We will be canceling upcoming trip in 10 days.  Katherine

Agree with this. Hopefully you can cancel under the medical element of your insurance if you have a condition which puts you at higher risk and are advised by doctor not to travel

9 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

I was advised by TA for our insurance it has to be a change in medical condition.   Fear of traveling due to pre-existing health issue is not covered.  I am very conflicted.  If I could cancel and receive a refund I would.  We have a week to decide.

Yes purchasing travel insurance is the smart thing to do.  When deciding on the policy, you must read the entire policy or ask about the coverage of epidemics.  In researching and emails I have received "cancel for any reason" also has some restriction.  Some of the policies if they are not purchased prior to a certain date that policy will not cover this.  If you waited until this virus started and are sailing soon and cancel because of fear, you policy will not cover this.

My understanding is that the “cancel for any reason” policies must be purchased within 10 days of booking.  My basic policy won’t cover anything that has to do with corona virus.  Still not sure what we’re going to do in 3 weeks on our cruise out of San Juan.  Hate the thought of losing $3700 for airfare and cruise.

30 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes, my post said a couple of high end cruise lines.  I consider Viking to be a high end line as compared to the mass market cruise lines like Royal, Carnival, NCL, Celebrity Princess...

Most interesting that, having sailed with Viking, I'm not certain that - at least from how I construe 'high end' - I'd truly consider them to be in that category. I know many have this conception, but even though I've never been on a few other luxury lines, I suspect there might be a difference between Viking and, say, Oceania or Regent. Yes, Viking is more expensive then those that you mention (but I suspect less expensive than some others in the 'high end' bracket), and their ocean cruises are a direct outgrowth of the typical river formula in that wine, etc. is included at meals...a more 'all inclusive' approach in general - specialty restaurants included and such, but the ships are not in any way what I'd consider luxurious in terms of decor, etc. Rather, it's a far less opulent approach and a more simple decor and designing. It's something I've wondered about having now sailed with Viking - would have to talk to people who have been on other lines, such as the ones I've mentioned. 

Edited by OnTheJourney