CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK: SHOULDN'T AZAMARA AVOID ITALIAN PORTS FOR NOW?

Cahpek

38 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

The latest figures from Italy show 631 deaths and 10,149 cases.

Azamara has just invited me to check in for my June 4th Italy Intensive Cruise.

Oh Pam! Talk about bad timing. Still waiting for a reply from Azamara re my cancelled cruise with you ....but I guess they are a bit busy at the moment! 

40 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

The latest figures from Italy show 631 deaths and 10,149 cases.

Azamara has just invited me to check in for my June 4th Italy Intensive Cruise.

Maybe until June the situation in Italy changes. I certainly hope so for the Italians. I also have a land trip planned to Apulia in June. I will wait until the first week of May to decide.

Ivi

Hard to know what to do.   DH and I are both 70.   While we have no underlying conditions, when DH gets a cold or flu-like illness it goes right into his chest, so that would not be good with what we've read about COVID-19.  

And, we live in Westchester County, which has the largest new outbreak in the USA.   It is the other side of the county from us, but we are talking 30 miles, not 3000.  The state governor has just instituted containment measures and is sending the National Guard in to assist the community there.   New cases every day.    

We are on the Journey B2B June 11 and June 20.   The 2nd cruise ends in Rome where we are scheduled to stay 2 nights.   We paid for our own airfare out of pocket (business class one way)  so we've been debating whether to stay the course or cancel the cruise and then see what the airlines do for June flights (probably get a credit voucher).   We thought we were inside the 25% cancellation deadline until Friday, so today's news that Azamara is no longer refunding partly in cash based on that cancellation policy but now only in FCC is really very upsetting.   Having looked at the 2021 itineraries, not much of interest to us based on past and future travel plans, and with so many rebookings, I wonder how easy it will be anyway.

So now we just watch and wait, since we can get the same FCC up until 48 hours before.   And we don't know what the airlines will do.   I'm not too optimistic that this virus situation will resolve itself by June.   Much as I really want to do the Islands of the Western Med itinerary, I am not willing to jeopardize our health, or travel when/where the experience is severely curtailed, or risk being quarantined abroad, or detained from returning home.   While I've always been flexible enough to go with the flow of travel, this would be stretching my limits a bit too far.    If the cruises become a no-go, hopefully the financial damage won't be too great.

• Like 2

Sadly Italy has confirmed  200 deaths from Covid-19 in the last 24 hours. 

How can any reasonable cruise line expect their passengers to put themselves at such a substantial health risk as that? Italy is virtually closed and at the very least the April and May cruises should be re-evaluated immediately. 

• Like 1

With Italy now reporting 12,500 cases of Coronavirus and sadly more than 800 deaths, at what point will Azamara take the decision that calling at Italian ports is untenable for at least the next 3 months? With cases in France and Spain also increasing rapidly, rerouting itineraries may prove extremely problematic and may require the company to rethink the entire Med season for 2020.

Many on these boards have expressed frustration that decisions re cancellation are taken very late causing guests unnecessary stress and in many cases significant expense.

While I appreciate that this is a fast moving situation, the Azamara of old would have taken a proactive stance taking into account the well being of both guests and its wonderful crew.

Could I request through Bonnie who is doing her very best to inform us and convey our concerns to management that decisions regarding at the very least April and May Med cruises are made very speedily.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Spursgirl said:

Lottie, we obviously had the same thoughts at the same time. I for one am becoming extremely frustrated. Bet I'm not alone 

I’m sure you are not alone Haze. 

If Azamara wants to retain their customer’s loyalty going forward then some difficult but sensible decisions have to be made about the viability of Mediterranean cruises at this extraordinary time for everyone. Early cancellations and refunds or FCC awards should be sorted out immediately. 

• Like 3

I could not agree more with both of you.    Here in the US, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, stated this morning that the situation is only going to get much worse.   And the incidence of death is 10x greater than the flu.   WHO has declared this a pandemic.   Italy is being overwhelmed and I cannot see that this will resolve in the next month or 2, or even 3 or more.

More cases are popping up all the time in many places, including here at home.   I just heard on the news that some TSA airport screeners in California tested positive, so it seems that spread is increasing at an alarming rate.

I'm trying to remain level headed and all, but am very dismayed by the lack of apparent action on Azamara's part as I follow what is going on with cruises in the next few weeks.   It does not bode well for how they will handle the upcoming Med cruises.

• Like 3

This is a quote from the UK Foreign office website which is advising against all travel to Italy and advising any tourists currently there to leave!

'Ports remain open although we understand that passengers on cruise ships will not be allowed to disembark for tourism purposes.'

Obviously there is no way any cruise ship will be in Italy anyway soon! 

Azamara really does need address this sooner rather than later!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, vival said:

This is a quote from the UK Foreign office website which is advising against all travel to Italy and advising any tourists currently there to leave!

'Ports remain open although we understand that passengers on cruise ships will not be allowed to disembark for tourism purposes.'

Obviously there is no way any cruise ship will be in Italy anyway soon! 

Azamara really does need address this sooner rather than later!

CNN has just announced that Italy's Prime Minister just announced that it is closing all bars, restaurants and shops except for supermarkets and pharmacies.  

32 minutes ago, the mice said:

CNN has just announced that Italy's Prime Minister just announced that it is closing all bars, restaurants and shops except for supermarkets and pharmacies.  

Ten thousand Coronavirus cases now reported in Italy https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/486967-10000-coronavirus-cases-now-reported-in-italy

On 3/6/2020 at 1:46 AM, Mackdogmolly said:

The CDC is recommending all nonessential travel to Italy be suspended and those returning, self quarantine for 14 days. 

Australia has banned all people arriving from Italy unless they’re Australian citizens returning who then have to self quarantine for 14 days.

We were on the Quest 23 April Athens to Venice.  Interestingly, this cruise and the one after on 9 May are now not showing on Azamara’s website. 
I think it’s about time Azamara advised its passengers !!

• Like 2

The CDC is recommending all nonessential travel to Italy be suspended and those returning, self quarantine for 14 days. 

Australia has banned all people arriving from Italy unless they’re Australian citizens returning who then have to self quarantine for 14 days.

We were on the Quest 23 April Athens to Venice.  Interestingly, this cruise and the one after on 9 May are now not showing on Azamara’s website. 

6 hours ago, Lottie A said:

Madeira has also now closed it’s port of Funchal to cruise ships. 

Wow!  

And Princess and Viking have announced 2 month  suspensions of operations.   This is serious.   

Hello, Azamara, are you paying attention????    Bonnie has been silent after stating she hoped to have some info for us by Monday or Tuesday.   It's now Thursday and we don't know any more than we did last week.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, the mice said:

Hello, Azamara, are you paying attention????    Bonnie has been silent after stating she hoped to have some info for us by Monday or Tuesday.   It's now Thursday and we don't know any more than we did last week.

I apologize for the silence. I do not have any answers just yet. As soon as I do I will share them with our CC community.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

I apologize for the silence. I do not have any answers just yet. As soon as I do I will share them with our CC community.

Bonnie, thanks for letting us know you are still working to get us answers.

We live less than 30 miles from New Rochelle, NY, which is the center of a major community spread outbreak in the USA.   Our president is banning travel from Europe (with some caveats) for 30 days.   Airlines are cutting flights, Princess and Viking have announced operations suspensions, and we just don't know what to think or plan for.   

Is it true that if we are in the 25% cancellation penalty phase until tomorrow for cruise 1 and March 22 for cruise 2, that if we cancel we will still only gat FCC?  

Spain has just closed all its ports to cruise ships. This will be in place until at least 11:59 pm on March 26th but of course, is likely to be much longer. There is an exception to allow passengers to disembark cruise ships but this is only in place until Sunday and no passenger who does disembark can return to the ship. There is also a ban on all passenger ships (including ferries) that come from Italy. The prohibition can be extended beyond the initial period dependent on how the Coronavirus develops. 

So so what do you say Azamara? Pursuit is due to embark from Barcelona on April 26th, with many Italian ports on that cruise. She is also doing Cadiz, Cartagena, Valencia and Barcelona on the. April 18th cruise. Or maybe she isn't? 

• Like 2

Just read this on another thread - from someone in Italy - chilling:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2729099-coronavirus/?do=findComment&comment=59638194

Mayor of Los Angeles now saying anyone who does not have to travel through LAX (airport) should not.   Not stopping anyone, but advising against it.   The shutdowns are spreading rapidly in the US.    

If I end up not traveling, I will get around to processing the 5000 photos I took on my fall trip/cruises in Australia-New Zealand.    

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, the mice said:

Just read this on another thread - from someone in Italy - chilling:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2729099-coronavirus/?do=findComment&comment=59638194

Mayor of Los Angeles now saying anyone who does not have to travel through LAX (airport) should not.   Not stopping anyone, but advising against it.   The shutdowns are spreading rapidly in the US.    

If I end up not traveling, I will get around to processing the 5000 photos I took on my fall trip/cruises in Australia-New Zealand.    

Not saying the situation isn't serious, but your link is all over social media with different people purporting to be the 'author'.  

22 hours ago, DRJVH said:

Still on the Australian website I can access - Friday morning Australian time

image.thumb.png.1f7590dac158ada4166a3aaa50a4f83b.png

image.thumb.png.89b21838a4135589f31ea718b99b3a0b.png