Cruising soon? What EXTRA things are you packing?

MaryBethV

In light of the Coronavirus and the POSSIBILITY of being quarantined, are you packing anything extra? We are traveling with our two teenagers next month for Spring Break and taking a cruise out of Florida. Our plan is 'no panic, but be prepared'.

Some extra things on my list since our last cruise are:

• more Clorox Peroxide wipes (can kill Noro virus - not sure about Corona) than normal
  • latex-style gloves
  • extra meds (over the counter and any prescription)
  • protein bars
  • both DH and I are bringing our laptops
  • extra reading materials

I'd love to know what other cruisers would suggest. 

Edited by MaryBethV

1 minute ago, put me on a ship said:

We leave on a cruise Sunday, and pretty much are doing the same. We also have a limited supply of hand sanitizer. I wanted more, but every place is sold out in our area.

I'm also bringing some Woolite, in case of a quarantine. 

Woolite - good idea, I was able to pick up some hand sanitizer at Office Depot, and, some spray at Trader Joe's.

• Like 1

We are bringing everything on your list except the laptops and protein bars. We are bringing the following:

• A small can of Lysol spray 
  • Cough Drops (David Abel mentioned that they had no "sweets" to ease their dry coughs)
  • Cleansing wipes - to clean my hands after handling menus, salt/pepper etc
  • small ziplock bags to transfer my clorox wipes and cleansing wipes so I can easily carry around the ship
  • packages of detergent for hand washing clothes in case of quarantine

We always bring (having been caught out in the past paying exorbitant prices on a cruise):

• Hand sanitizer (we have plenty because they are always given free from conventions we attend)
  • Day and Night time cold/flu medicine
  • Tubes of Anti bacterial, anti itch, and hydrocortisone
  • Band aides/first aid kit
  • Tylenol and Ibuprofen
  • Imodium
  • Antacids
Edited by hllwdcruiser
Added items we always bring
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, put me on a ship said:

We leave on a cruise Sunday, and pretty much are doing the same. We also have a limited supply of hand sanitizer. I wanted more, but every place is sold out in our area.

I'm also bringing some Woolite, in case of a quarantine. 

Make your own hand sanitizer.  One can still find the supplies in stock.  2/3 cup isopropyl alcohol (99%), 1/3 cup aloe vera and 10 drops of essential oil (optional).  It needs to be at least 65% alcohol to be effective so if you can only find 91% alcohol you need to adjust the quantities accordingly.

• Like 7

I have a cruise this month and have already started a bag with extra items similar to your list

Wipes tylenol cough syrup cough drops some snacks bag of nuts nutri grain bars as well as bringing extra book deck of cards and sudoku puzzle book.  Almost forgot a bottle of hand soap and small laundry soap if I have to wash undies in cabin

Have fun cruising

• Like 1

Great lists and I bring many of those items, as stated prices for a few Tylenol or other things are crazy.  I will bring extra wipes this time and hopefully by summer things are settling down on the virus front.  

• Like 1

We usually went on cruises with my Mom who had a compromised immune system so we always carried Lysol, hospital grade antibacterial hand sanitizer and wipes. My wife acted fast, first time i agreed with her Reddit obsession, and got masks (good ones) and more hand sanitizer. We added gloves,flu and imodium meds to our cabin bag. If flying, don't forget to wipe down your tray table and armrests as well as pre stay hotel rooms.

We are on B2B and hope after whats going on on the Grand, we don't get kicked off after first leg. As stated in previous posts, thank goodness for Princess Platinum insurance. We can wait till last minute and bail if needed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, disneyochem said:

Make your own hand sanitizer.  One can still find the supplies in stock.  2/3 cup isopropyl alcohol (99%), 1/3 cup aloe vera and 10 drops of essential oil (optional).  It needs to be at least 65% alcohol to be effective so if you can only find 91% alcohol you need to adjust the quantities accordingly.

How do you get that through airline security?

I ordered rum runners last night because my FIL isn't worried about being quarantined he's worried about being without wine or liquor. We are checking bags for our flight but I'm not sure if the in laws are so I need to check and see what kind of alcohol he wants me to pack for him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

Woolite - good idea, I was able to pick up some hand sanitizer at Office Depot, and, some spray at Trader Joe's.

good call on Office Depot - that's where we stocked up on some after Target was out

• Like 1

Walmart sells the little three ounce plastic bottles in the travel section.  Lid either flips open or take the whole top off.  The mixture from above filled two of these. Make it up in something you can shake up to get it to mix completely.  Very easy, less expensive, and you don't need the essential oils.

• Like 1

The lists you have combined above is very good, might recommend bring a handful of resemble freezer bags...  they will be useful for many reasons.  Including the remote control for the TV.

I’m bring a mini medical clinic with us.  again the list above but I’m including a mini BP tester, digital thermometer, alcohol wipes in the mini packets.

in reality, so many individuals are canceling on our ship to Hawaii, I’m thinking it will be 15-20% or greater empty.  May not have the crowds with those losses.  So Maybe less exposure... who knows.

but I plan to go, unless princess cancel the trip.

• Like 5

Hi Everyone

i see on all lists hand sanitizers. Just a little education as it is mostly alcohol the first thing it does is open the pores on your skin. If you already have bacteria on your hands you are just rubbing it into your skin.

Washing your hands vigorously first with soap and water to rinse bacteria down the drain is the most important.

relying on hand sanitizer and not washing hands is what has gotten us in to this mess.

• Like 7

When you wipe down/disinfect your airline tray table, arm rests, window shade, etc., don't forget the area that NEVER gets cleaned -- inside the lever pull on your seatbelt, where countless fingers have been!  Easy to overlook.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, voljeep said:

not packing, but if we were going on a cruise where we added BEST2DG - we would be stocking plenty of water/fuzzy water and beers in our room and maxing out the "15" from day one ...🤑

This is probably going to be the only way my husband actually gets through our cruise knowing we could be stuck away from our dogs longer than planned. He will likely be plastered.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, disneyochem said:

Great idea!  I do have Thieves hand sanitizer but I'm always looking for a good DIY substitute if I can't get the original.  I have the DIY Thieves spray ready to go along with several other Thieves items. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaryBethV said:

In light of the Coronavirus and the POSSIBILITY of being quarantined, are you packing anything extra? We are traveling with our two teenagers next month for Spring Break and taking a cruise out of Florida. Our plan is 'no panic, but be prepared'.

Some extra things on my list since our last cruise are:

• more Clorox Peroxide wipes (can kill Noro virus - not sure about Corona) than normal
  • latex-style gloves
  • extra meds (over the counter and any prescription)
  • protein bars
  • both DH and I are bringing our laptops
  • extra reading materials

I'd love to know what other cruisers would suggest. 

A digital thermometer and airborne for immune support especially if your flying.

• Like 2