Likelihood of Princess modifying their cancel policy

jat1977

March 5, 2020

We continue to implement increased monitoring, screening and sanitation protocols to protect the health of our guests, crew and the residents of the destinations we serve. Our measures are designed to be flexible to adapt to changing conditions and recommended best practices. For your reference, you can read our Guest Travel Advisory.

Nevertheless, we know you have questions about your upcoming cruise. Princess would like to share some policy updates that provide options and flexibility should you want to reschedule your currently booked vacation that sails between now and May 31, 2020.

• Sailings departing between March 9 and April 3*: booked guests can cancel up to 3 days prior to departure, receive a Future Cruise Credit for 100% of the cancellation fee amount, and move your booking to any voyage that departs by December 31, 2021.
  • Sailings departing between April 4 and May 31*: booked guests can cancel by March 31, 2020, receive a Future Cruise Credit for 100% of the cancellation fee amount, and move your booking to any voyage that departs by December 31, 2021.

*Date of departure is from the start date of your cruise or cruisetour, whichever is earlier.

If you choose to keep your booking as currently scheduled for departures between March 9 and May 31, you will receive the following Onboard Credit amounts:

• $100 USD/ $150 AUD per cabin for 3 and 4 day cruises
  • $150 USD / $225 AUD per cabin for 5 day cruises
  • $200 USD / $300 AUD per cabin for 6 day and longer cruises
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think it is harsh to blame people when they bought 3rd party insurance. No one could have expected this. Most people buy 3rd party insurance because it has better medical coverage. If they had purchased Princess insurance and had $30K in medical expenses, would you be critical of them not buying a 3rd party insurance instead of Princess? A lot of people buy air on their own which prompts people to buy 3rd party coverage to have that covered.

this begs the question of can you buy both? id really like to know. i booked my first X cruise and bought my normal trip insurance store CFAR policy but i wondered if i bought X insurance as well. if i could get that 25% i dont get from CFAR , in a FCC. i did read the fine print which says the insurance is secondary so this leads me to believe you can double insure. the 75% cash cfar policy cost me about 350..the X policy giving 75% fcc is about 378 but my cash loss would be 1250 if i had to use the 3rd party cfar. 

1 minute ago, frugaltravel said:

On Facebook Princess said if you are sailing this weekend to call them regarding cancellation. I think your TA will get the scoop for you.

Okay, I will tell my TA. Could not get on fb

Just now, frugaltravel said:

Keep it on speakerphone and mostly ignore the music 😀

LOL...my hearing aids tether my phone to me.  On one hand...great sound quality.  On the other hand...great sound quality for Muzak.  I’ve turned it way down.  But my call is very important to them so I have that going for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

this begs the question of can you buy both? id really like to know. i booked my first X cruise and bought my normal trip insurance store CFAR policy but i wondered if i bought X insurance as well. if i could get that 25% i dont get from CFAR , in a FCC. i did read the fine print which says the insurance is secondary so this leads me to believe you can double insure. the 75% cash cfar policy cost me about 350..the X policy giving 75% fcc is about 378 but my cash loss would be 1250 if i had to use the 3rd party cfar. 

I have frequently bought both. They cover different things and Princess's medical is mediocre.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I think it is harsh to blame people when they bought 3rd party insurance. No one could have expected this. Most people buy 3rd party insurance because it has better medical coverage. If they had purchased Princess insurance and had $30K in medical expenses, would you be critical of them not buying a 3rd party insurance instead of Princess? A lot of people buy air on their own which prompts people to buy 3rd party coverage to have that covered.

The topic and issue is CFAR not medical.....

If you had read the other 55 duplicate posts from this poster blasting Princess on CC and the fact they got burned on a canceled cruise by losing $1200 because they chose not to purchase the Princess CFAR.

Your agenda with Princess ins is the coverage as you have also posted numerous times.

NO one to blame but themselves as the Princess insurance is right there to peruse when searching/booking Princess cruises. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

The topic and issue is CFAR not medical.....

If you had read the other 55 duplicate posts from this poster blasting Princess on CC and the fact they got burned on a canceled cruise by losing $1200.

Your agenda with Princess ins is the coverage as you have also posted numerous times.

NO one to blame but themselves as the Princess insurance is right there to peruse when searching/booking Princess cruises. 

I just think this is unusual circumstances.

Princess's policy has poor medical if you don't have coverage elsewhere. It is probably adequate if you have insurance that covers you outside of the country. If someone has a serious injury or illness, Princess medical is not enough to cover them. Anyone who works with medical costs/claims knows this. I am not going to tell someone they need to double insure to properly cover themselves when this is a very unique situation.

BTW - I have received several emails from people thanking me for pointing out Princess's limits on insurance. They then buy 3rd party to have better coverage. I have also received emails from people saying they had to pay above and beyond because of the limits on Princess's medical.

I am going to assume you have other insurance that covers you outside the US as you frequently buy Princess's insurance.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

Just now, Coral said:

I just think this is unusual circumstances.

Princess's policy has poor medical if you don't have coverage elsewhere. It is probably adequate if you have insurance that covers you outside of the country. If someone has a serious injury or illness, Princess medical is not enough to cover them. Anyone who works with medical costs/claims knows this. I am not going to tell someone they need to double insure to properly cover themselves when this is a very unique situation.

I agree 100% it is an unusual circumstance.

As I have also said Princess should do the right thing in the cases of canceled cruises and refund the cruise. The issue is many are canceling early before the decision comes out from Princess (do to lack of timely action by Princess) leaving them to worry that they did the wrong thing and Princess will exercise the normal cancelation process rather then taking care of those passengers as well.

Just now, Colo Cruiser said:

I agree 100% it is an unusual circumstance.

As I have also said Princess should do the right thing in the cases of canceled cruises and refund the cruise. The issue is many are canceling early before the decision comes out from Princess (do to lack of timely action by Princess) leaving them to worry that they did the wrong thing and Princess will exercise the normal cancelation process rather then taking care of those passengers as well.

I completely agree with you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frugaltravel said:

Keep it on speakerphone and mostly ignore the music 😀

My phone is tethered to my hearing aids through Bluetooth.  Any other time this is a huge plus.  Now it’s just the first 8 bars of I’ll Stop The World And Melt With You played over and over and Muzaked directly into my head.  2:04:55 in.  I’ve put laundry away, decided I need new towels, straightened the bedroom, and am making my grocery list and contemplating a third cup of coffee.  Because...I’ll Stop The World And Melt With You.

4E9CDE1E-2A7C-4A12-B224-AECF7CEBB970.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

next question..have you ever collected on both? 

That is illegal and insurance fraud to collect on both for the same thing. But collecting on both for different claims is why one purchases two policies.

Edited by frugaltravel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bnickle said:

LOL...my hearing aids tether my phone to me.  On one hand...great sound quality.  On the other hand...great sound quality for Muzak.  I’ve turned it way down.  But my call is very important to them so I have that going for me.

I have been laughing out loud at your posts - thank you for bringing levity to this situation! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bnickle said:

My phone is tethered to my hearing aids through Bluetooth.  Any other time this is a huge plus.  Now it’s just the first 8 bars of I’ll Stop The World And Melt With You played over and over and Muzaked directly into my head.  2:04:55 in.  I’ve put laundry away, decided I need new towels, straightened the bedroom, and am making my grocery list and contemplating a third cup of coffee.  Because...I’ll Stop The World And Melt With You.

Try turning off your Bluetooth, putting the phone on speaker until they answer, then turn Bluetooth back on.

29 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Try turning off your Bluetooth, putting the phone on speaker until they answer, then turn Bluetooth back on.

Thanks...it’s all good.  There really wasn’t a problem;  I was just kvetching.

1 hour ago, LAnn said:

I have been laughing out loud at your posts - thank you for bringing levity to this situation! 

At 2:24, Dear Reader, the call dropped.  I have said many naughty words and wished horrors upon Sprint.  I have decided to buck up, and go to that place that brings me joy.  I am, of course, speaking of Target.  Seriously, I did pull up the insurance info, so I feel armed with more answers to my questions, but I still have a few.  But we have till the end of the month to act on this, so it’s all good!  Ya’ll have a lovely day!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Princess has changed their cancellation policy:  To assist guests' decisions regarding their upcoming cruise vacations during the evolving worldwide COVID-19 situation, Princess Cruises is temporarily making some changes to our cancellation policy for cruises departing up to May 31, 2020.

Go to https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/temporary-cancellation-policy.html to see changes.

36 minutes ago, cruis'nrachel said:

If I have 75% CFAR (standard policy through Princess), can I get that in cash and the remainder in a future cruise credit according to the new cancellation policy?  Does anyone know?  Set to sail on Regal March 15th.  @bnickle

princess is only credits. but they are still a good deal. i got my 100% a few years ago. also one thing that newbies need to be aware of. no matter who pays for the cruise, the cruise fare belongs to the guest its under. meaning even though i paid for my gfs booking, that money was hers. they were kind enough to acccept a letter from her saying she wanted me to have the credit though and i got it all back for my use. but i bet a lot of newbies dont know this policy. i sure didnt. i thought if i paid for a cruise i get the money back..

edit> oh wait, you said under new policy.....my situation was old one

Edited by luckyinpa

2 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

That is illegal and insurance fraud to collect on both for the same thing. But collecting on both for different claims is why one purchases two policies.

official reason from my agent:

You could file a claim with the insurance for 75% of what you didn't get from the cruise line. The cruise line would pay before the travel insurance so if the cruise line gave you 75% credit you could file a claim with insurance for 75% of the 25% the cruise line didn't give you credit for. 

36 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

official reason from my agent:

You could file a claim with the insurance for 75% of what you didn't get from the cruise line. The cruise line would pay before the travel insurance so if the cruise line gave you 75% credit you could file a claim with insurance for 75% of the 25% the cruise line didn't give you credit for. 

Exactly what I said, since in this case they are not claiming from both policies for the same thing.  Thanks for confirming what I said 🙂 

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

is your Target out of purell, Clorox wipes, Lysol spray ?  ours was yesterday

Didn’t even look for those...I was wanting an industrial strength hand lotion as my hands, right now, could sand down any table you’ve got to a fine, smooth sheen.  I did pass by the bottled water section on my way to the pop aisle (my husband’s blood type is DietCoke positive) and the bottled water was cleared out.