Cancelling 10 days out

I just checked if I have to rebook same time next year 2021, 1200.00 more, July this year, forget it, very expensive. No more Refunds, you lose. Then, you pay extra to move the flights. We all want to continue on Symphony, but son in law wants to cancel- 1 of 11.

It would be interesting to hear from people who have a booking for 2021 to go back and see what has happened to the price for the same class of cabin. Or if you have been watching a specific cabin class on a specific sailing in 2021 check to see what has happened with the price. 

unfortunately the cabin class I booked for 2021 is now sold out so I can't make this comparison. 

If you are thinking of cruising in 2021 you should probably book soon. I know that the FCC won't be issued for 30 days, but I'm pretty sure you can book a cruise now and apply the FCC to the balance later so people who are canceling are going to start booking new cruises today.

11 hours ago, HalfHand said:

Covid-19 mortality rate is 3.4%, 2019 flu mortality rate was .0052%

You said something about propaganda? Too many people providing answers about stuff they know nothing about is a huge part of the problem. More information than you can possible want is out there freely available. For stats I look at www.worldometer.com 

Reddit has an awesome sub that is heavily moderated to keep false answers like the one given by dssking tamped down.

www.reddit.com/r/CoronaVirus

That rate is incorrect. The mortality rate is more like .6% This is based on S. Korea data who has more throughly tested their population.

Most people are not being tested until present at Doctors/Hospital. Since majority who contract the virus have minor or no symptoms similar to cold or flu they are not seeking medical attention. Once USA starts testing more widely we will see a rise in cases with decline in death rate. 

There are around 98,000 people that have tested for CoronaVirus globally with a population of around 7.5 billion. 80,000 of those cases have been in China. China has had no new cases in 48 hours. 

Media is hyping this up. It isn’t the first virus scare we were all going to die from! Bird flu, swine flu, Norovirus, SARS, Ebola. 

1 hour ago, SG65CB said:

It would be interesting to hear from people who have a booking for 2021 to go back and see what has happened to the price for the same class of cabin. Or if you have been watching a specific cabin class on a specific sailing in 2021 check to see what has happened with the price. 

unfortunately the cabin class I booked for 2021 is now sold out so I can't make this comparison. 

If you are thinking of cruising in 2021 you should probably book soon. I know that the FCC won't be issued for 30 days, but I'm pretty sure you can book a cruise now and apply the FCC to the balance later so people who are canceling are going to start booking new cruises today.

Good idea!
BTW, I just checked the price for our 2021 sailing, and it's about $127 less, not a huge difference.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kidless said:

That rate is incorrect. The mortality rate is more like .6% This is based on S. Korea data who has more throughly tested their population.

Most people are not being tested until present at Doctors/Hospital. Since majority who contract the virus have minor or no symptoms similar to cold or flu they are not seeking medical attention. Once USA starts testing more widely we will see a rise in cases with decline in death rate. 

There are around 98,000 people that have tested for CoronaVirus globally with a population of around 7.5 billion. 80,000 of those cases have been in China. China has had no new cases in 48 hours. 

Media is hyping this up. It isn’t the first virus scare we were all going to die from! Bird flu, swine flu, Norovirus, SARS, Ebola. 

I think the vast majority of the media outlets are doing their best to get the word out about the problem and to provide accurate information in order to counter the streams of disinformation from opinion pieces and the small number of people who for whatever reason seek to spread disinformation. The media is not the enemy here. They are saying just what our top healh officials in the US said today at the press conference. I will get behind a scientist over a politician every time.

2 hours ago, SG65CB said:

Mine is $122 less 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

I think the vast majority of the media outlets are doing their best to get the word out about the problem and to provide accurate information in order to counter the streams of disinformation from opinion pieces and the small number of people who for whatever reason seek to spread disinformation. The media is not the enemy here. They are saying just what our top healh officials in the US said today at the press conference. I will get behind a scientist over a politician every time.

The media always hypes it up to get us to watch! From Hurricanes to virus! Just this morning plaster all over the news they reported 2 New cases reported in Maryland like the state is doomed!!’..... give me a break this is a flu! And let us not forget it is an election year! I’m not buying into the hype and I’m not concerned nor am I running to the store for hand soap as I always practice good personal hygiene. 

1 hour ago, kidless said:

There’s a great site a colllege student is doing keeping up with cases. Ncovid19 dot live

poor Italy 4 percent mortality 

7 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

The media is not the enemy here.

Sadly here in the UK the media have spent years blowing everything up out of all proportion that should anybody wish them to be believed by the vast majority of people it will take some doing IMO!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kidless said:

You are correct, the mortality rate IN S. KOREA is .6%

I don't live in S. Korea, I live in the US where the mortality rate is currently estimated to be at 3.4%

33 minutes ago, HalfHand said:

You are correct, the mortality rate IN S. KOREA is .6%

I don't live in S. Korea, I live in the US where the mortality rate is currently estimated to be at 3.4%

Omg stop! It’s because most people have little to know symptoms and are not getting tested. Plus we haven’t had the test kits out every where.  There are 7.5 Billion people in the world only 100,000 cases of coronavirus. Your odds of catching the virus are very low and unless you are elderly with underlying health conditions you’ll be fine. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kidless said:

Omg stop! It’s because most people have little to know symptoms and are not getting tested. Plus we haven’t had the test kits out every where.  There are 7.5 Billion people in the world only 100,000 cases of coronavirus. Your odds of catching the virus are very low and unless you are elderly with underlying health conditions you’ll be fine. 

No, kidless. I won't stop, for your sake.

Want another interesting fact, the mortality rate in Asian countries will be lower than most of the rest of the world because they commonly wear masks. Those things the CDC told us don't help the common man, they just help the doctors. See the CDC told us this because currently there are about 42M masks in the US. That is a two day supply for doctors if this even gets minorly bad.

You need to read this, EVERYONE needs to read this article.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1236095180459003909.html

I hope the experts are wrong, I would love nothing more than to come back to these message boards in a month or two and let all of you flame me. But the writing is on the wall, and there are just TOO many people refusing to see it.

Back in January this was just a small little blip of something going on in China. In the past 30 days it has spread to 97 countries now. What do you think that map is going to look like in 30 days from now?

Did you know that Covid-19 is now considered Endemic ((of a disease or condition) regularly found among particular people or in a certain area) in Washington? Because of this they have cut back testing.

10 hours ago, kidless said:

The media always hypes it up to get us to watch! From Hurricanes to virus! Just this morning plaster all over the news they reported 2 New cases reported in Maryland like the state is doomed!!’..... give me a break this is a flu! And let us not forget it is an election year! I’m not buying into the hype and I’m not concerned nor am I running to the store for hand soap as I always practice good personal hygiene. 

Actually, there were 3 cases announced in Maryland.  All three caught it travelling overseas.  They were exposed on a Nile cruise.  At least one individual was at a large gathering of over 100 people last weekend at a retirement community center when they were probably contagious.  I live in No VA, but only about 20 miles from the county where these cases are.  While the media sits there and reports new cases and deaths, they don't report daily flu deaths which are higher.  The election has nothing to do with this as it makes neither side look good.  BTW, all three are recovering.

Edited by BND

On 3/5/2020 at 6:08 PM, Mapleleafforever said:

Can always just go to the cruise terminal and tell them you're not feeling well.......fake a cough, tell them you have a sore throat....and wear extra clothes so you're hot and sweaty.....bingo, instant refund. 

No, denied boarding, no refund.

Just like showing up without the proper documents.

2 hours ago, Heymarco said:

United just emailed saying all flights between now and March 31st can be changed until anytime this year. It looks like airfare will be easier to change in short term.

I hope Delta follows suit! They were only changing flights to Europe and Asia when I checked last night. But then we likely will move forward with our March cruise, it is June I am not sure about as who knows where this is heading.

12 hours ago, kidless said:

I tend to stick mostly to CNN rather than the local news stations. I didn't realize you were referring to more local news. But yes, certainly election years can effect things, I well remember well place heightening of alert status in the 2000's.

I try to get info from the best minds, not those interpreting, and decide from there. But it doesn't take much to stir up the masses (a run on toilet paper people, really LOL). I am seriously concerned over stock running out on things for people who truly need them, but anxiety trumps altruism and that is what we will continue to see I'm sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

Actually, there were 3 cases announced in Maryland.  All three caught it travelling overseas.  They were exposed on a Nile cruise.  At least one individual was at a large gathering of over 100 people last weekend at a retirement community center when they were probably contagious.  I live in No VA, but only about 20 miles from the county where these cases are.  While the media sits there and reports new cases and deaths, they don't report daily flu deaths which are higher.  The election has nothing to do with this as it makes neither side look good.  BTW, all three are recovering.

I live about 2 miles from Rockville, MD where these people lived. I am also a teacher and we have had letters sent to teachers and parents about the possibility of closing schools.  About a month ago, my school had to close for two days because so many students had the flu.  In my 32 years at the school this is the first time it closed because of illness. I don’t think the media is going overboard.  I grew up in the time of polio. In 4th grade, my entire school (500 students) got Whooping Cough. We were quarantined (big red sign on our front door) for 6 weeks in our house. We are so far away from when diseases got everyone sick, that we forget what it was like.  

• Like 1

I would never cancel inside a period where I would get no money back, except taxes, port charges, and anything I prepaid. No show would be the way to go. Why would I give them the opportunity to resell the cabin or get extra money as far as the move up promotion goes? They have no qualms in trying to suck every penny from me.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 8:40 AM, Mapleleafforever said:

Yup, they're playing games. I'd much rather have a full refund than an FCC. I'd like to keep my money in my own pockets thank you very much. I mean, if the cruiselines have to raise prices to make up for the shortfalls in the coming months or years you may not feel that cruising is a good value anymore.....but they still have your money and you only have an FCC so either pay more or lose your initial fees. 

Please read my posts again because you seem a tad confused about my stance. My stance is that the cruiselines should be issuing full refunds for all who want to cancel or have their cruises cancelled by Royal (or any other cruiseline). Bottom line. 

I'm not in the least confused about your stance.  You think that the cruise line owes you something.  It doesn't.  If you book and go past final payment you have agreed to their cancellation penalties.  If you decide you don't want to go for any reason they owe you only what you deserve.  If you are afraid to sail, take out cancel for any reason insurance.  

But you suggest showing up to the cruise, and fake coughing and sneezing to get denied boarding so you can get a full refund.  Man, talk about playing games.  You're the biggest "gamer" in the discussion. 

Edited by papaflamingo