Temporary Cancellation Policy Announced

idahospud

On 3/31/2020 at 3:06 PM, Jetstreamer said:

Can someone please help me understand something about the temporary cancellation policy.

We want to cancel. We have paid a deposit of around £450 that is otherwise non-refundable. We have not yet made final payment but this is due this week. 

If we cancel now (and bearing in mind we have only paid the deposit) will the port taxes and fees be taken off the deposit amount and refunded in cash, leaving the balance as FCC, or will the whole £450 deposit be returned as FCC only?

Hi Jet Streamer,

We had booked direct with Princess and our cruise was in September 2020.  Having looked at the situation in europe and particularly Italy we have decided to cancel. When I called Princess I was told my deposit of £440 would be returned as a FCC and if I wished to cancel completely I would have had to pay 15% of the total cost of the cruise.  The FCC can be used on any cruise in 2021 only.  

18 hours ago, Honey-B said:

Hi Jet Streamer,

We had booked direct with Princess and our cruise was in September 2020.  Having looked at the situation in europe and particularly Italy we have decided to cancel. When I called Princess I was told my deposit of £440 would be returned as a FCC and if I wished to cancel completely I would have had to pay 15% of the total cost of the cruise.  The FCC can be used on any cruise in 2021 only.  

I though the worldwide policy was it could be used for any cruise sailing by the end of 2021, so it could also be used for a cruise sailing later in 2020, not just in 2021.

2 hours ago, caribill said:

I though the worldwide policy was it could be used for any cruise sailing by the end of 2021, so it could also be used for a cruise sailing later in 2020, not just in 2021.

The conditions are not all the same. Mine says book and sail by Dec 31 , 2021.  Others say by May 31, 2022. 

8 hours ago, dog said:

The conditions are not all the same. Mine says book and sail by Dec 31 , 2021.  Others say by May 31, 2022. 

Yes ... it is dependent upon which set of cancellations your original cruise was part of.  

• Thanks 1

Has anyone actually gotten their money back? We were scheduled to sail on March 19 from Buenos Aires on Coral Princess,  they canceled a few days before and we requested a refund but have not received anyhting. I am thinking of starting a chargeback through the credit card company for the cost of the cruise and the flights.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're not sick or dead on Coral Princess but I think we should be promptly refunded for services we paid for and did not receive. 

• Like 1

lol I wonder what they mean by temporary. All the refund policies are read about are ridiculous. They either have like tons of instructions to read before proceed to refund or their offers dont worth the time spend on acquire the refund. I also wish all these refunds worked in one-two clicks on their websites. Honestly, I have no idea why they make it all so complicated. Hope it will change after everything is over

7 minutes ago, ClwtrBoi said:

Has anyone actually gotten their money back? We were scheduled to sail on March 19 from Buenos Aires on Coral Princess,  they canceled a few days before and we requested a refund but have not received anyhting. I am thinking of starting a chargeback through the credit card company for the cost of the cruise and the flights.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're not sick or dead on Coral Princess but I think we should be promptly refunded for services we paid for and did not receive. 

Since they cancelled they are offering you extra in FCC, right?  I would wait the 90 days before putting in a credit card dispute for that reason

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dog said:

Since they cancelled they are offering you extra in FCC, right?  I would wait the 90 days before putting in a credit card dispute for that reason

Yes, offered FCC but I'm not interested in that. Just want our money back. Who even knows if Princess or Carnival will be around in the future. 

14 minutes ago, ClwtrBoi said:

Yes, offered FCC but I'm not interested in that. Just want our money back. Who even knows if Princess or Carnival will be around in the future. 

You're right. We feel the same way. They have had our money for months now. They should be sending an e-mail or something out saying what they're planning to do about refunds. I saw something about 30 days, not 90 days. We received credit already for our flights.

Edited by travellover39
  • Like 1

Just now, travellover39 said:

You're right. We feel the same way. They have had our money for months now. They should be sending an e-mail or something out saying what they're planning to do about refunds.

Since the cruise we laid for was 2 weeks ago air didn't operate as scheduled I feel we have a valid reason for a charge back via the credit card. 

Just now, ClwtrBoi said:

Since the cruise we laid for was 2 weeks ago air didn't operate as scheduled I feel we have a valid reason for a charge back via the credit card. 

Yes, you're right. Our cruise would have ended today. Lots of planning went on and then cancel everything makes you not want to  cruise again if they make you wait for your money 90 days. Trying to think positive but it's hard to do. 

26 minutes ago, ClwtrBoi said:

Did you go on Princess.com, their is an April 2nd update. They are telling us it's will be 60 days before we see any refund or FCC from the day you filled out the form.

We were also meant to sail on Coral Princess 19th March from Buenos Aires to Fort Lauderdale. Fortunately we did not fly into BA before cancellation of cruise.

We chose Option 2 for a full refund, plus FCC. I think this was a generous offer.

We have not received either yet, having initially been told within 30 days. When I spoke to Princess UK about this, as had been hoping to use FCC for summer cruise which was due for final payment, I was told probably within 60 days.

Would be great to receive full refund for cruise and flights, in cash, but realise it will be refunded to credit card we used to pay.....eventually!

Glad  the ship has finally docked and wish everyone good health and a safe journey home.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, travellover39 said:

Did you go on Princess.com, their is an April 2nd update. They are telling us it's will be 60 days before we see any refund or FCC from the day you filled out the form.

They'll probably be insolvent by then. 

48 minutes ago, ClwtrBoi said:

No point in waiting, call your credit card company. 

I thought about a chargeback...but I believe the law says you must file a dispute within 60 days of the statement upon which the charges appear, and our payments were much longer ago. 

Is there something I don't know?

30 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

I thought about a chargeback...but I believe the law says you must file a dispute within 60 days of the statement upon which the charges appear, and our payments were much longer ago. 

Look at it this way, they never provided the service/goods/cruise you paid for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

What you bought was never received so call credit card company. Agent can walk you through dispute process easy with Amex. I just did it 

2 minutes ago, dog said:

What you bought was never received so call credit card company. Agent can walk you through dispute process easy with Amex. I just did it 

dog, just a few dates ...

when did you book your cruise ( deposit date )

when was final payment due ( amex charge )

when was cruise date

when did you actually cancel, or did Princess cancel your cruise 

this may help other posters in your same situation make an informed decision to dispute a charge

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

dog, just a few dates ...

when did you book your cruise ( deposit date )

when was final payment due ( amex charge )

when was cruise date

when did you actually cancel, or did Princess cancel your cruise 

this may help other posters in your same situation make an informed decision to dispute a charge

Refundable Deposit July 2019

cruise date oct 2020

cancelled by me March 1/20

amex dispute March 25/20

Each person has to do what they think is best for them. If refund is FCC only, all you can do is wait it out and hope you can use it before expiry. Cash refunds might be hard to get back.  refund dates 30, 60 days keep changing. This is only my opinion. 

Started two charge backs today. The one for air charges I was able to do online for about $2,500.00. Ameeican Airlines canceled the flight we had paid Princess for.

The one for the cruise for about $5,000.00 I had to do over the phone with another credit card. Both were for services we paid for but didn't receive. (March 19 Coral Princess).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ClwtrBoi said:

Started two charge backs today. The one for air charges I was able to do online for about $2,500.00. Ameeican Airlines canceled the flight we had paid Princess for.

The one for the cruise for about $5,000.00 I had to do over the phone with another credit card. Both were for services we paid for but didn't receive. (March 19 Coral Princess).

Wishng you luck! That's alot of money to wait on. 

15 hours ago, dog said:

Refundable Deposit July 2019

cruise date oct 2020

cancelled by me March 1/20

amex dispute March 25/20

so all of this is over a refundable deposit only , and not the total cruise cost ?

or did I miss that you had paid the final

musta been one helluva cruise and deposit … good for you for being proactive, I guess ...

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

so all of this is over a refundable deposit only , and not the total cruise cost ?

or did I miss that you had paid the final

musta been one helluva cruise and deposit … good for you for being proactive, I guess ...

Yep, expensive one!

It is out of my hands now. Amex will deal with it.

Not counting on any cruiseline to have the cash flow for awhile------I expect they would pay crew before giving passenger money back. (just my opinion)