Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
CCLcruiser91

Carnival Modifies Cancellation Policy

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:


I don't think people should be faulted for looking on the bright side of an uncomfortable situation.  Less people means less likelihood of being near someone who is sick.  It means less crowds for shows and shorter lines.  It doesn't mean at all that people are jumping for joy that Carnival is losing so much money or that people are thrilled that some are cancelling because of personal reasons.  Some people like to look at the cup as half full and try to find the positive in bad situations.

I think everyone is in agreement that we would prefer to cruise as usual without the health scares.  I am happy with the OBC and will look on the bright side of things.

 

Yes.  Basically my strategy is to look at the bright side of things.  
If we end up not being able to land in any ports, my attitude will be at least I'm at sea and in warm weather.  
If the cruise gets cancelled, I'll look at it as at least I get more time to enjoy San Juan.  
If I get quarantined, at least I have two more weeks off work.  

 

None of those situations are a real benefit to me. I just chose to find the positive in it.  

It sucks that people are afraid and feel they have to cancel. I am happy they have the option to do it and go at a later time.  And the one bonus is there might be more room on the boat.  

 

There is nothing about this situation I am happy about but the only thing I can control is my attitude.  I would 1000 times prefer that my biggest worry about this trip was whether or not to by the cheers package.  I'd happily take a full cruise ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still have not received the cancellation policy email, but I had emailed my pvp this a.m. when this thread first started requesting that I cancel my 3/22 cruise under the "new" cancellation policy" due to the fact that both dd and I have underlying health conditions, and that I can't afford to to the chance to possibly be quarantined on a ship or elsewhere except home for 14 days.  I then wrote that "I understand we will get a future cruise credit we can use until 3/31/21."

I received an email back saying "yes - that is true....everything will be refunded within 48-72 hours."  Great!

Then I received a cancellation letter from Carnival saying that I am being assessed a $415.50 penalty each for canceling during penalty period!!  Said nothing about a future cruise credit.  

Shot off another email to my pvp - will see what the response is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Still have not received the cancellation policy email, but I had emailed my pvp this a.m. when this thread first started requesting that I cancel my 3/22 cruise under the "new" cancellation policy" due to the fact that both dd and I have underlying health conditions, and that I can't afford to to the chance to possibly be quarantined on a ship or elsewhere except home for 14 days.  I then wrote that "I understand we will get a future cruise credit we can use until 3/31/21."

I received an email back saying "yes - that is true....everything will be refunded within 48-72 hours."  Great!

Then I received a cancellation letter from Carnival saying that I am being assessed a $415.50 penalty each for canceling during penalty period!!  Said nothing about a future cruise credit.  

Shot off another email to my pvp - will see what the response is.

My second email to my pvp was "thanks so much.  I just received the cancellation email and it says "Penalty Assessed $415.50 x 2.  My understanding from the new policy was that I would be getting a future cruise credit of $415.50 times 2, not assessed a penalty."  Her response came back a few minutes later - "That is correct."  I guess I will have to wait and see if the fcc is attached to our accounts when I book my next cruise - whenever that will be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Still have not received the cancellation policy email, but I had emailed my pvp this a.m. when this thread first started requesting that I cancel my 3/22 cruise under the "new" cancellation policy" due to the fact that both dd and I have underlying health conditions, and that I can't afford to to the chance to possibly be quarantined on a ship or elsewhere except home for 14 days.  I then wrote that "I understand we will get a future cruise credit we can use until 3/31/21."

I received an email back saying "yes - that is true....everything will be refunded within 48-72 hours."  Great!

Then I received a cancellation letter from Carnival saying that I am being assessed a $415.50 penalty each for canceling during penalty period!!  Said nothing about a future cruise credit.  

Shot off another email to my pvp - will see what the response is.

 

Maybe check your junk mail. That's where my letter was. And it came from donotreply@carnival.com   The letter had my booking number and information at the end of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

I just re-booked and yes, the amount you paid gets transferred to a new booking with any extra becoming an OBC.

 

Did you have to pay additional money out of pocket for a deposit on the cruise you transferred to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Denverdonkeys said:

I am a little surprised this OBC is not per person or by stateroom category of some sort, not complaining, but not all cabins are equal on the same ship.

So if you can afford a Suite then you should get less OBC? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told it works like a cancellation and a new booking so I did have to pay the minimum deposit now.  However, since my cancelled cruise was paid up (I was suppose to be on the 5/3 sailing of the Glory out of New Orleans) the cancelled cruise cost will be applied (including shareholder obc) to my new booking.  Eventually, I will either have a refund or just extra OBC since my new booking is less than my cancelled cruise. No cancellation penalty was charged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are my questions...

1. FCC. They say, "to move your booking to a new date."
Question: is that for the exact same cruise, or any cruise?
 
2. FCC. They say, "used for a sailing by March 31, 2021."
Question: Do we need to sail by 3/31/2021? Or, do we need to book by March 31, 2021 for a future date? 
 
If we choose to rebook, do I need to pick a new date right now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rynerson27 said:

So if you can afford a Suite then you should get less OBC? 

 

Or if you paid less for your suite than someone paid for their balcony you should get more OBC?  Yeah... no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jillinmn said:

Here are my questions...

1. FCC. They say, "to move your booking to a new date."
Question: is that for the exact same cruise, or any cruise?
 
2. FCC. They say, "used for a sailing by March 31, 2021."
Question: Do we need to sail by 3/31/2021? Or, do we need to book by March 31, 2021 for a future date? 
 
If we choose to rebook, do I need to pick a new date right now?

Any cruise, any amount and sail by

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jillinmn said:

Here are my questions...

1. FCC. They say, "to move your booking to a new date."
Question: is that for the exact same cruise, or any cruise?
 
2. FCC. They say, "used for a sailing by March 31, 2021."
Question: Do we need to sail by 3/31/2021? Or, do we need to book by March 31, 2021 for a future date? 
 
If we choose to rebook, do I need to pick a new date right now?

 

1.  Any cruise, as long as it sails before March 31, 2021.

2.  You need to rebook it before March 31, 2020.... as in, by the end of this month.  Otherwise, you're on your currently booked cruise with a $200/cabin credit.

Edited by WorkerBee74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

I was told it works like a cancellation and a new booking so I did have to pay the minimum deposit now.  However, since my cancelled cruise was paid up (I was suppose to be on the 5/3 sailing of the Glory out of New Orleans) the cancelled cruise cost will be applied (including shareholder obc) to my new booking.  Eventually, I will either have a refund or just extra OBC since my new booking is less than my cancelled cruise. No cancellation penalty was charged.

 

If you didn't sail till 5/3 then part of your paid rate should have still been refundable, yes?  So instead of getting a refund of any kind, they just applied the entire amount you paid as cruise credit?  I thought they were only making non-refundable amounts cruise credit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NereusJ said:

Given no email...On hold with Carnival for 1.5hr+ now still waiting for answer to cancel 

If you have a PVP, call him/her direct.  By having my PVP's extension I got right through.  They are swamped today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, JLA said:

 

Maybe check your junk mail. That's where my letter was. And it came from donotreply@carnival.com   The letter had my booking number and information at the end of it.

No email in regular or junk mail.  I did not know we have to rebook by 3/31/20 as I did not get the email from Carnival yet.  I will let things settle a bit and book something next week.

Edited by pe4all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pirateg11 said:

 

If you didn't sail till 5/3 then part of your paid rate should have still been refundable, yes?  So instead of getting a refund of any kind, they just applied the entire amount you paid as cruise credit?  I thought they were only making non-refundable amounts cruise credit?

You are correct. In my case my entire balanced transferred to my new scheduled cruise.  Lost no money with the exception of some minor cash flow with a temporary new deposit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

You are correct. In my case my entire balanced transferred to my new scheduled cruise.  Lost no money with the exception of some minor cash flow with a temporary new deposit. 

Ha, I think this makes me more confused.  Transferring the entire balance sounds like everything paid is being issued in cruise credit.  Otherwise, how would you get the refundable parts back aside from cancelling the new cruise and forfeiting the  new deposit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

 

1.  Any cruise, as long as it sails before March 31, 2021.

2.  You need to rebook it before March 31, 2020.... as in, by the end of this month.  Otherwise, you're on your currently booked cruise with a $200/cabin credit.

 I didn't see where it said we had to rebook by March 31   I read we had to choose to either go or cancel by 3-31

Edited by Bases5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all!

The phone lines are slammed and I have a question.  We are booked on 03/12 for a 4 night that I got at a really cheap rate thru a casino offer weeks ago. It was like 99pp for a balcony + 100obc and free casino drinks. 

If I call and move my reservation to an exact same cruise just at a later date do you think they will honor the deal I currently have or will it be at todays going rate for that particular date?     

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rynerson27 said:

So if you can afford a Suite then you should get less OBC? 

Ehh no. more the opposite. but i would not look at the cost of the cabin (I said that just because I know sometimes they use that as a differentiating factor). I would think it would make more sense to be per person in the cabin. 

 

I am not sure how they would handle a cabin that split their decision, but in theory if my cabin of 5 stays, that is a cabin for 5 guests I am not taking in 6 months.

Edited by Denverdonkeys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bases5 said:

 I didn't see where it said we had to rebook by March 31   I read we had to then to either go or cancel?

 

4th bullet point.  

  • Guests booked on sailings departing between April 1 and May 31 can move your booking to a future date by March 31

 

1227157104_ScreenShot2020-03-06at8_38_12

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KeithsKelly said:

Exactly!!  Hubs and I discussed, we are NOT cancelling.  If for some reason we cannot port, then we have glorious, uninterrupted sea days.  He takes a couple meds, so we'll take extra with us just in case anything else happens. 

This is our plan. Wee leave next Thursday on the Sunshine. Packing extra meds, planning to enjoy our vacay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We would not take the OBC if they would just up grade us.  Four people in an inside (2 althetic boys) we would rather be in a suite!  Calls are into Carnival and can only imagine their telephone nightmare.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Carnival.

 

We will forward your generosity on to the staff aboard the Pride in April.   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cruise on the panorama 5/2 and Inspiration 4/27. Im going to take the OBC and then try to upgrade cabin after 3/31. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...