Carnival Modifies Cancellation Policy

CCLcruiser91

Just do what you are most comfortable doing.  As HoosierPop so eloquently illustrated there are no crystal ball or "magic eight balls".

I just returned from cruise this past Saturday and I am considering booking another for the fall.  The reason I'm looking at the fall is not because of the corona virus, but rather that is when I like to cruise.  The fall and early spring are the choice times.

• Like 1

I'm playing it by ear we sail end of August I was more worried about hurricane season.we sailed once during hurricane season .it was not enjoyable but with school we can only take grand kids end of august.i have until end of May to cough up the balance .until then who knows.i don't think it will be worse in a couple months.

The virus is already subsiding in China....I would expect it to start subsiding worldwide in about a year.    And, perhaps the PANIC over it will subside, as well.  People cruise during FLU season...and no one freaks out!  This is less deadly than Flu.

• Like 1

We took a cruise week before summer started and got "stuck" in Hurricane Harvey.  My kids missed a week of school.  I don't want to sail during hurricane season.  My timeframe is limited here.  I wish Carnival would extend the expiration of FCC

It would also be nice to see a no risk policy while this virus is going on.  I'm hesitant to book again..and be in this exact same position.  

Edited by ginger123snaps
more info

5 minutes ago, ginger123snaps said:

It would also be nice to see a no risk policy while this virus is going on.  I'm hesitant to book again..and be in this exact same position.  

Everyone  will book again and there will never be a no risk policy. Would you like the companies to go out of business - they have to weather the storm and we as customers have to do what we feel comfortable doing. If you don’t think this is going away then don’t book. If you believe summer will be better than book. But if you book you are paying and your money will be tied up! 

1 hour ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Thank you! This is very helpful and makes me feel better. Fingers crossed that all this resolves itself soon (and before the final due dates - mine is April 19).

Mine is July as my new booking is Oct. 18.  I suspect it will resolve itself but we must be patient.  They are flooded with calls. I wish a smooth sailing for your voyage.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, thatoneguyyouknow said:

So I paid for cheers / spa with gift cards.  I tried to just get that applied as a future cruise credit but they are telling me they will be mailed to my address on file in 2-3 weeks.  Hopefully that all works out ok.  Anyone got a gift card refund from carnival before?  Did it got smooth 

Your refund will be a new gift card if you paid with gift cards.

6 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Everyone  will book again and there will never be a no risk policy. Would you like the companies to go out of business - they have to weather the storm and we as customers have to do what we feel comfortable doing. If you don’t think this is going away then don’t book. If you believe summer will be better than book. But if you book you are paying and your money will be tied up! 

Other cruise lines are offering a 48 hour cancel policy for cruises during the summer.  I would book with them but unfortunately I have $6200 tied up with Carnival right now.  

I am not asking for insight of what the virus will do.  

I am asking for insight if anyone has heard anything about Carnival changing things for the summer.  There seems to be people in the "know"

2 minutes ago, ginger123snaps said:

Other cruise lines are offering a 48 hour cancel policy for cruises during the summer.  I would book with them but unfortunately I have $6200 tied up with Carnival right now.  

I am not asking for insight of what the virus will do.  

I am asking for insight if anyone has heard anything about Carnival changing things for the summer.  There seems to be people in the "know"

I hear you - but 48 hours is nothing. 
Booking a cruise now is a gut check - do what your gut feels is right! That’s all you can do. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I’ve got the option on my booking. Did you click the cancel this cruise link and it didn’t work or can you not find where it is?

that is not an option for ,me...i did call the post cruise dept. and got thru...they said that you cannot cancel this close to debarkation...and that i have to keep trying to get thru...the post cruise dept. could not do anything to help

• Like 1

Just throwing this out there. Booked our cruise back in Jan. before virus was in the news.  Due to 4 conflicting university and work schedules  the timeframe of the current Carnival FCC does not work for is.  Rather than Carnival issuing partial refunds to credit cards if applicable with balance on a FCC,   why would they not offer a certicate for the exact cruise itinerary that you have booked to be used on a different time?  what i really would like is a certificate for an exact or similar 7 day cruise that i have booked to be used at a future time in 2020 to december 2021 that would work for us without having to pay additional dollars than what we have already paid.  carnival would not have to lose money in cash refunds and could keep carnival customers in bookings rather than full cancellations

John Heald just posted on FB an update to the cancellation policy:

I wanted to make sure I shared that we had listened to your feedback and guests sailing on cruises from May through September, 2020, may now cancel by 30 days prior to sailing. We also are giving you more time to redeem your future cruise credit so you can travel within one year of your original sailing date.

details here and emails coming soon

KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know what they mean by this in red? 

• If your client is not ready to rebook a cruise immediately, please visit GoCCL.com (or your GDS or API booking tool) and cancel their cruise. Eligible refund and future cruise credit in the amount of the non-refundable cancellation fee will automatically be issued and processed. Say they paid $1200 for the cruise, does this mean they will only get back a certain amount of the $1200 as a future cruise credit and the rest will be refunded if they cancel.  

42 minutes ago, CCLcruiser91 said:

John Heald just posted on FB an update to the cancellation policy:

I wanted to make sure I shared that we had listened to your feedback and guests sailing on cruises from May through September, 2020, may now cancel by 30 days prior to sailing. We also are giving you more time to redeem your future cruise credit so you can travel within one year of your original sailing date.

details here and emails coming soon

KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

You know I'm still holding my breath for the first email.  Never did receive it.  And once again, John posts vague info and everyone is complaining and second guessing and still absolutely confused about the whole thing. 

I canceled online yesterday morning.  I still haven't received an email confirmating my cancellation or the penalties or what will go back on my credit card.  I don't have hours to spend sitting on the phone trying to get through to Carnival.  On Carnival's FB page a rep said the cancellation fee/penalty automatically gets applied to your account as a future cruise credit.  I guess you have to call about it because it doesn't show up on my account.

I'm just annoyed about the total lack of answers and not being able to speak with anyone.