Will HAL now match Princess' new virus cancellation policy?

DaveOKC

Princess just announced a new cancellation policy (temporary) due to the virus situation.  I wonder if HAL will match this?  Has anyone heard anything?

In Response to the COVID-19 Worldwide, Cruise Line is Allowing Cancellations for Cruises Departing through May 31, 2020 

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., March 6, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Princess Cruises is temporarily modifying its cancellation policy for cruises and cruise tours departing through May 31, 2020. The cruise line is implementing this revised policy to assist guests making decisions regarding their upcoming cruise vacations during the evolving worldwide COVID-19 situation.

It would be nice if HAL did the same thing.  

It would certainly ease a lot of peoples’ minds and restore a lot of good will IMO.

Not certain if HAL will follow suit though since Princess currently has a 2nd ship with virus issues.

Here is the full cancellation policy https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/temporary-cancellation-policy.html

4 minutes ago, ozzie0075 said:

Sounds like Carnival will be announcing a similar policy today as well. 

It sure does.

A letter is posted on John Heald’s  FB page 

979D82D9-0E87-4669-87C8-50256762F818.thumb.png.10254cf7c2a5119cadbe669a2f3eb335.png

The cruise line CEO’s are supposed to be meeting with the White House on Saturday.

The timing of these new cancellation policies seem to be very coincidental 😉 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting.....  if I am reading the information right, Carnival has to be reused by March, 2021 while Princess is Dec, 2021.

Sure hope HAL, if it follows suit, matches Princess.

• Like 2

OK trying to digest this - are REFUNDS being offered? or the opportunity to move the date of your cruise / FCC? Skimmed both the Princess and Carnival information and it did not seem to indicate that monies would be returned. We are past final payment on our May 15th cruise.

Edited by suec12

3 minutes ago, suec12 said:

OK trying to digest this - are REFUNDS being offered? or the opportunity to move the date of your cruise / FCC? Skimmed both the Princess and Carnival information and it did not seem to indicate that monies would be returned. We are past final payment on our May 15th cruise.

As I read it, no refunds but instead credits for future cruises.

15 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Why would Carnival announce this policy for 2 of their cruise lines but not the 3'rd? 

Does not make sense.

Carnival Corp is not announcing the policy, Princess and Carnival Cruise Lines are. Each line under the umbrella operates independently.

2 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Carnival Corp is not announcing the policy, Princess and Carnival Cruise Lines are. Each line under the umbrella operates independently.

I think HAL will match, but a bit later in the day as they are on PST.

26 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Why would Carnival announce this policy for 2 of their cruise lines but not the 3'rd? 

Does not make sense.

10 minutes ago, richwmn said:

And Carnival Corp has more than 3 lines -- there is also Cunard, Seabourn, Costa, P&O.....

28 minutes ago, suec12 said:

I’m on same cruise.  My understanding if I cancel before 12th all I’ll lose is my deposit

In light of what's happening with Grand Princess, I think cruise lines are going to have to figure out a way (or ways) to be more flexible during this period right up until boarding. 

It is clear, from reading through the long thread on Princess, that there are people who may have some symptoms of COVID-19 but who would not necessarily cancel their cruise -- because they have paid for it, they don't have insurance, they don't feel THAT sick, and they are very reluctant to lose that investment.

Some people will do the sensible thing -- but others are going to think "It's not coronavirus; I don't feel that bad, I'm going to tough it out.  I spent a lot of money on that cruise."

Until cruise lines do something to incentivize ill people not to get on board the ship (e.g., allow them to cancel or postpone their cruise), or start screening every single person for the virus (not just for fever, which can be suppressed), you are all too likely to run into more situations like Grand Princess is in, IMO.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Astute observation.

I would be very surprised if HAL did not announce a similar policy.  Viking announced a few days ago.  This will probably force RCI to do the same with their various cruise lines.

15 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Until cruise lines do something to incentivize ill people not to get on board the ship (e.g., allow them to cancel or postpone their cruise), or start screening every single person for the virus (not just for fever, which can be suppressed), you are all too likely to run into more situations like Grand Princess is in, IMO.

This has been the big concern for us for both our cruise in 2 weeks but really for our flights. The temporary more lenient cancellation policy changes made by HAL and some airlines that ONLY effect new bookings do nothing to help the very issue of sick people getting on planes and ships now and in the next few weeks. I don't want to "Book with Confidence." I want to fly and cruise with confidence. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

This has been the big concern for us for both our cruise in 2 weeks but really for our flights. The temporary more lenient cancellation policy changes made by HAL and some airlines that ONLY effect new bookings do nothing to help the very issue of sick people getting on planes and ships now and in the next few weeks. I don't want to "Book with Confidence." I want to fly and cruise with confidence. 

United Airlines just announced a new policy yesterday:

No change fees for new bookings 

We know people are taking a second look at their travel plans right now, and we want you to have flexibility when planning your next trip — that's why when you book a flight with us between March 3 and March 31, 2020, you can change it for free over the next 12 months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

As I read it, no refunds but instead credits for future cruises.

Clarification needed - the princess notice states:

Cancel by March 31 and receive Future Cruise Credit for 100% of cancellation fee

I’m stuck on the verbiage “100% of cancellation fee”.  This sounds like, for cruises prior to May 31, depending on when your cruise departs, you would receive a refund plus a future cruise credit for your cancellation fee.

For example, for our cruise 5/15:

Cancellation Fees Begin
 Cancellation Fees (Per Person)
 Feb 15, 2020
 $300.00 (Amount Forfeited)
 Mar 13, 2020
 50% Gross Fare
 Apr 3, 2020
 75% Gross Fare
 Apr 24, 2020
 100% Gross Fare

So, if I cancelled before 3/13, under this new policy, I would receive a refund on my credit card for my cruise, less $300 per person cancellation fee, which would be given to me as a future cruise credit.

There are no detailed Ts&Cs to drill down to on the announcement.

Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

United Airlines just announced a new policy yesterday:

No change fees for new bookings 

We know people are taking a second look at their travel plans right now, and we want you to have flexibility when planning your next trip — that's why when you book a flight with us between March 3 and March 31, 2020, you can change it for free over the next 12 months.

Yeah JetBlue has done the same but how that helps those of us who booked Spring break  flights before all this came down at the end of January and are staring at thousands in cancellation fees for flights this month if the worst happens is nil. 

Edited by fatcat04

I posted this on another thread. HAL sent this link in an email yesterday:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory.html

The attached document  read:

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:
      Ships' Registry: The Netherlands
Page 1 of 2
We are closely monitoring the situation with COVID-19 (coronavirus) and our medical experts are working with global health authorities. For the most-up- to-date health advisory and list of boarding restrictions, please visit:
https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory.html
Please check this page frequently for updates, and if you or your client are subject to any of the restrictions, please contact us with proof of travel for
a full refund. All guests will be subject to pre-boarding health reporting and enhanced screening at check-in. Guest passports will be scanned to verify compliance. False responses on forms will result in immediate debark at the
next opportunity, and you may face legal consequences. Due to changing events, it is possible that entry requirements for the countries on your cruise may
change and your itinerary may be modified or some guests may be required to stay on board. We may change requirements to safeguard our guests and crew.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

12 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Yeah JetBlue has done the same but how that helps those of us who booked Spring break  flights before all this came down at the end of January and are staring at thousands in cancellation fees for flights this month if the worst happens is nil. 

We are in the same boat with Jetblue.  If HAL gives us the option to cancel we may do that and just spend the week on the beach in Florida. At least we wouldn't stuck on the ship and near medical facilities if we get sick. My company already announced we can work remotely if we contract the virus.   

Edited by ozzie0075
  • Like 3