So if you have a cruise cancelled, would you vacation elsewhere this summer?

Hllb

1 minute ago, drsel said:

Wow so cruising was crazy expensive in the olden days

On my cruise there was first rate entertainment ,big name singers and comedians.

Men had to wear suite or sport jackets for every dinner.

The only on board activities were shuffleboard,bocci ,skeet shooting and a pool.

The food in the only dining room was great.

• Like 1

Back to the original topic -  We have cancelled our July 2020 Alaskan cruise; will hopefully reschedule a cruise somewhere early next year using the same travel insurance and downpayment.

If we can, we'll road trip this summer north towards Glacier National Park, and if able to cross the border, we will venture into Alberta's Waterton National Park, towards Kootenay and Banff National Parks and also visit some of those wonderful Canadian Provincial parks on the way.!  

Still holding on to our Octoberfest river cruise in October this year and have scheduled a river trip in 2021.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roger88 said:

In any case, I would be glad to hear what the rest of you guys are planning for this summer. 

I don't generally travel in the summer for two reasons -- one, it is a busy time for my company; and two, it is too hot and crowded with other tourists at that time of year in many places where I like to go.

I do have a TA cruise on the books with stops in Iceland and Greenland in mid/late August. I hope it is a go, but if not, c'est la vie. The day will come when I can travel again, hopefully.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

A 7 day cruise from NY to Bermuda on the Cunard Ambassador $699.00 for both of us ,taxes included .We had a porthole.I believe that was the only type of window on the ship.No balconies.

My first 7 day cruise was in 1977 on Hal Rotterdam, great ship , cost was 400 per person but as a single it was 600 which was about what I made in a month , I have done at least one cruise every year since and am only a couple of cruises from my goal of having my number of cruises to match my age. That was a inside cabin. Also from nyc to Bermuda and Nassau .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKa2002 said:

Back to the original topic -  We have cancelled our July 2020 Alaskan cruise; will hopefully reschedule a cruise somewhere early next year using the same travel insurance and downpayment.

If we can, we'll road trip this summer north towards Glacier National Park, and if able to cross the border, we will venture into Alberta's Waterton National Park, towards Kootenay and Banff National Parks and also visit some of those wonderful Canadian Provincial parks on the way.!  

Still holding on to our Octoberfest river cruise in October this year and have scheduled a river trip in 2021.

The US national parks, at least in the West, are getting flooded with tourists already. Plus people may be carrying the virus with them. IMO it's way to soon to have even a clue about what's going to be happening for the next even couple of years.

2 hours ago, DaKa2002 said:

That sounds like a good road trip!  If you can't cross the border, look at going East over to the Dakotas and visit the National Parks and Monuments there.  Or, go a little south and travel some of the places in Idaho.  I'd avoid Wyoming with Yellowstone and Grand Teton as they are always fully crowded and will probably be more so this summer.  I'm in Utah, and I'm trying to figure out which way to do my road trip this year, trying to ferret out some smaller places to camp.

Now, with you being in Texas, have you considered doing a Southern Parks road trip?  If you're trying to escape the summer heat, it wouldn't be ideal, but otherwise, it would be a good one and most likely less crowded (social distancing).  There are a good number of National Parks and Monuments in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado to visit.   

2 hours ago, drsel said:

Next couple of years ?
but I thought Cruises would resume by August or September

I haven't read any parameters the cruise lines have issued upon which they would base a decision to resume. But I have read a vaccine, if they can even come up with one, would be a year or two out.

41 minutes ago, clo said:

They all do. But if we or others are carrying the virus, not such a good idea.

That's why I will stay away from the very popular and crowded NPs and Monuments.  Campsites are already in a social distancing position.  Dry camping, even better.  Your RV, even better still.  And you can be outside...

Plus I would surely hope we would have enough common sense to not travel at all if we are carrying the virus.  Why I'm in isolation mode right now - I have no idea if any of the tourists I came into contact with the past few weeks were infected...

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

That's why I will stay away from the very popular and crowded NPs and Monuments.  Campsites are already in a social distancing position.  Dry camping, even better.  Your RV, even better still.  And you can be outside...

Plus I would surely hope we would have enough common sense to not travel at all if we are carrying the virus.  Why I'm in isolation mode right now - I have no idea if any of the tourists I came into contact with the past few weeks were infected...

I've read that BLM campgrounds with visitor centers have closed the visitor center not sure how you get in. The Black Rock Desert has a nearby private ranch with THREE 🙂 campsites for RVs. We'll check it out. I'm sure Yosemite will/is insane as it was over New Years.

5 minutes ago, clo said:

I've read that BLM campgrounds with visitor centers have closed the visitor center not sure how you get in. The Black Rock Desert has a nearby private ranch with THREE 🙂 campsites for RVs. We'll check it out. I'm sure Yosemite will/is insane as it was over New Years.

Having a visitor center closed does not mean the campgrounds are closed.  I've never had to go into a center to get my campsite - it is usually a paystation there or you reserve and pay in advance.  I was at Bryce Canyon NP this past November; the visitor center was closed, but the one campground was open as were all the lookout points.    I would have hit up the BLM land down near Moab, but Moab is asking people to stay away.  I definitely want to help them out by waiting it out.  I may have to drive longer than I want down to Arizona or New Mexico if I go in the next 2 months.  I'll be camping in Southern California in June, assuming I still don't have a job *or I get my time off as part of the employment negotiation*.  

2 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Having a visitor center closed does not mean the campgrounds are closed.  I've never had to go into a center to get my campsite - it is usually a paystation there or you reserve and pay in advance.  I was at Bryce Canyon NP this past November; the visitor center was closed, but the one campground was open as were all the lookout points.    I would have hit up the BLM land down near Moab, but Moab is asking people to stay away.  I definitely want to help them out by waiting it out.  I may have to drive longer than I want down to Arizona or New Mexico if I go in the next 2 months.  I'll be camping in Southern California in June, assuming I still don't have a job *or I get my time off as part of the employment negotiation*.  

Thanks for the input. No easy answers these days.

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

That sounds like a good road trip!  If you can't cross the border, look at going East over to the Dakotas and visit the National Parks and Monuments there.  Or, go a little south and travel some of the places in Idaho.  I'd avoid Wyoming with Yellowstone and Grand Teton as they are always fully crowded and will probably be more so this summer.  I'm in Utah, and I'm trying to figure out which way to do my road trip this year, trying to ferret out some smaller places to camp.

Now, with you being in Texas, have you considered doing a Southern Parks road trip?  If you're trying to escape the summer heat, it wouldn't be ideal, but otherwise, it would be a good one and most likely less crowded (social distancing).  There are a good number of National Parks and Monuments in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado to visit.   

You have some great thoughts. We have done a lot in Colorado, some Texas and New Mexico.  Heading north, if Canada is out, we'd probably go spend time in Idaho, Montana, the Dakotas, and northern Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan before heading south again.

It all depends on how the U.S. and Canada can handle the virus...

Can not see going anywhere in USA currently since most states have or will close all bars and restaurants. Hopefully this will change soon and also cruises will again start . Just finished I nice dinner that we picked up at our favorite Italian restaurant, normally would have been in a nice place with a small jazz group which we did most Saturday nights.

1 minute ago, George C said:

Can not see going anywhere in USA currently since most states have or will close all bars and restaurants. Hopefully this will change soon and also cruises will again start . Just finished I nice dinner that we picked up at our favorite Italian restaurant, normally would have been in a nice place with a small jazz group which we did most Saturday nights.

Frequently when we travel, domestic and intl, we stay in airbnb-esque type places. We love good food and we love to cook . A cruise that just got canceled ended with five days in Paris in an apartment.

1 hour ago, George C said:

I don't have to worry about bars and restaurants when I'm camping.  I bring and do my own food (cook or grill over the fire) and I bring my own wine.  Nothing better than sitting back in my lounger with some charcuterie and a nice glass of Toscano...

At home now I'm either cooking or heating something in the oven or getting curbside from my usual restaurants.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I don't have to worry about bars and restaurants when I'm camping.  I bring and do my own food (cook or grill over the fire) and I bring my own wine.  Nothing better than sitting back in my lounger with some charcuterie and a nice glass of Toscano...

At home now I'm either cooking or heating something in the oven or getting curbside from my usual restaurants.  

Too each there own,  while I do not mind cooking or grilling food at home, like upscale restaurants with live music, concerts and broadway plays, glad at least some of us can still enjoy vacations in these trying times , we will just stay at home until things get back to normal. 

On 3/20/2020 at 5:17 PM, lenquixote66 said:

My best friend and his wife were diagnosed with the Corona Virus today.

Oh boy.  I hope they get passed it without being too much under the weather.  Do they have any idea where they caught it? 

22 hours ago, drsel said:

Next couple of years ?
but I thought Cruises would resume by August or September

Cruises might start resuming by early Fall - if current containment efforts pay off.  But I think the whole industry will suffer for a long time.  

The US, being a consumer economy, will feel significant impact across the board from these months of “sheltering in place”. I think we are looking at a recession deeper than anything experienced in recent years.  The less affluent will be rebuilding their reserves while the more affluent will most likely be paying a lot more in taxes as the government tries to cover the costs of fighting both the health and economic battle against covid-19.

Discretionary spending on things like cruises will be a lot lower in people’s priorities for some time.

Peoples reserves will be largely exhausted, and it will take a longer time for consumer confidence to return than for a covid-19 vaccine to be developed.

15 hours ago, George C said:

Too each there own,  while I do not mind cooking or grilling food at home, like upscale restaurants with live music, concerts and broadway plays, glad at least some of us can still enjoy vacations in these trying times , we will just stay at home until things get back to normal. 

True.

I guess when one lives in The Big City, those kinds of activities are the norm.  When one lives up in The Mountains, we tend to do things differently 😀  I enjoy The Big City environment once in awhile - heck, I had a birthday trip planned in April to go to Las Vegas and eat at Jaleo and Bouchon, but alas.   I'm still holding out for my 3 day trip to Los Angeles in June to go to the Hollywood Bowl to see Andrea Bocelli again.  But, in the meantime, I'm going to be doing as much solo time as I can out in the boonies, camping.

My 2 friends who came down with COVID-19 caught it on a ski holiday in Bulgaria.  Yes, Bulgaria.  They had their 2 kiddos with them.  The kiddos are OK.  My friends are feeling like they have a bad case of the flu.  They are in their 30s. 

Edited by slidergirl

So far all of our travel has been cancelled, including a cruise we would be on now, a trip to Seattle May 1st to see the Astros and Mariners, and a second cruise in May.  My 60th birthday is in June and we are booked to drive to South Padre Island for a week.  I hope that won’t get cancelled but it certainly might.  Then another cruise in September about which who knows what.  We’re looking at one in October and one in November to rebook to but again, who knows.  I just keep telling myself to look at all the money I’m saving.  I’m very blessed that my job is not in danger of ending and I am otherwise financially good.  Might not get that new vehicle this year though.  

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Oh boy.  I hope they get passed it without being too much under the weather.  Do they have any idea where they caught it? 

My friend is in a NYC hospital and I cannot talk to him. His wife is self quarantined at home .We have had three phone conversations with her but did not as that ,perhaps the next time we call.

15 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Discretionary spending on things like cruises will be a lot lower in people’s priorities for some time.

In '08, and I agree with you that our belief is that this is going to be far worse, our IRA lost 40% of its value. We did no travel for 18 months, sold our motorhome, rarely went out to eat. And we came all the way back.