New travel policy coming soon from Royal

22 minutes ago, missemo12345 said:

So I just spoke with my agent and since my cruise is April 27 I am still out $$.This was a non-refundable deposit booking. And if I wait till the 48hrs to cancel wouldn't I loss more since I am really in penalty. Please explain I guess I thought we could cancel with no penalty since are date is in the time frame as mentioned.

Ken should be able to confirm this, but looks like your agent is wrong.  According to Royal you should get a full FCC or a change with no fee: (from https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence)

Q : How are Non-Refundable Deposit bookings impacted by this policy update?
A : Non-Refundable Deposit bookings sailing on-or-before July 31st, 2020 are eligible for the Cruise with Confidence Policy and follow the same guidelines.  Prior to the Final Payment deadline, guests with a Non-Refundable Deposit bookings that wish to change to a different ship or sail date can do so with no fee assessed - the change fee will be waived.

Wow, what a load off for those of us who booked our insurance AFTER the January date for guaranteed coverage.

We went forward with our Alaskan cruise from Seattle, knowing RCI or the port would make the necessary decisions, but the relatives we are taking are in their 70s and were a bit concerned staying booked.  This lets us take the time to make a decision, because we all still want to go.  

Kudos to Royal Caribbean!!

27 minutes ago, missemo12345 said:

So I just spoke with my agent and since my cruise is April 27 I am still out $$.This was a non-refundable deposit booking. And if I wait till the 48hrs to cancel wouldn't I loss more since I am really in penalty. Please explain I guess I thought we could cancel with no penalty since are date is in the time frame as mentioned.

Your agent may have not seen the new policy.

You can get a 100% FCC no charges for the NRD

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Midwestgal said:

I know they will give a future cruise voucher but will the refund my pre paid gratuity and port chargers ?   

Q : Upon cancellation, will I be credited for any pre-cruise purchases, such as beverage packages, shore excursions, etc.?
A : Yes, pre-cruise purchases will be refunded to the original form of payment.

3 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Ken should be able to confirm this, but looks like your agent is wrong.  According to Royal you should get a full FCC or a change with no fee: (from https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence)

Q : How are Non-Refundable Deposit bookings impacted by this policy update?
A : Non-Refundable Deposit bookings sailing on-or-before July 31st, 2020 are eligible for the Cruise with Confidence Policy and follow the same guidelines.  Prior to the Final Payment deadline, guests with a Non-Refundable Deposit bookings that wish to change to a different ship or sail date can do so with no fee assessed - the change fee will be waived.

You are correct

2 minutes ago, Midwestgal said:

I actually just did a mock booking and not much of a price difference for all , same itinerary and cabin.

That is good news.   I booked the cancelled Dorian Harmony cruise over 500 days out.  The least it was gonna cost us to get Harmony and a oceanview balcony was almost 1500.00 no matter the date we looked at.  

24 minutes ago, missemo12345 said:

You should get your TA to double check that, unless it's the TA's policy?

Maybe I am wrong but I think this new RCCL policy waves the lost deposit for cancellation of a non-refundable and the penalty phases after final payment?

46 minutes ago, dasmonkey said:

That's subjective.  Royal has better dates for using the FCC but Carnival's kicking in OBC to keep your current sailings.
$200 for a 7 day cruise is nothing to sneeze at. 

I agree.  I have a Royal cruise booked for Sunday.  I am still going, but very happy that the people who don't want to go can cancel.  I also have a Carnival cruise booked in April and am very happy to get a $200 OBC.  I think both lines have made positive moves.

• Like 1

This is so good to hear! I’m booked on Adventure for end of May and had no intention of canceling, but it’s nice to know I could do it within a week of sailing and still get my money in a FCC! For the time being though, I’ll just try getting a cabin upgrade as people begin to cancel. 

I feel this might be the best time to cruise with practically empty ships!!!

8 minutes ago, molly361 said:

This policy is so new that I am sure a lot of agents (except Ken @Ourusualbeach of course) are not yet familiar with what's happening

It's been a crazy week with all the changes.  For agents with bookings on a lot of different lines I imagine it would be hard to keep up with especially if they don't have a large corporate HQ providing them daily updates all in one neat package.  That being said as an agent if a client called to ask I would tell them I would call them back after getting the most up to date information

1 minute ago, scobie15 said:

Wonder why they are not offering OBC for those who are not cancelling like Princess?

Because $200 would not be enough to entice most with concerns to keep their reservation so they are basically just giving away OBC to everyone.

Royal also has a better cancel policy than Princess

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes, any cruise planner purchases will be automatically refunded to your credit card

thanks

I have no plans on canceling my April cruise but it’s nice knowing I can if it gets worse and I change my mind.

• Like 1

Yeah this is a good change made by Royal and demonstrates why some are very loyal to royal.  For the most part, it seems to me that they generally do right by their customers.  We're booked for May 5th Honolulu to Vancouver, I have no plans of cancelling but it's nice to know that should this thing escalate that option is available to us.  Alaska Airlines also just sent us an email allowing us to make a change should we need to as well. 

• Like 1

This is a welcome relief for many.

This + new embarkation procedures makes a big difference. 

Now if only our government would ban more flights from certain countries we could get more peace of mind here in US.

Cheers!

• Like 1