Why Only Princess.....?

WoodstockGirl

Why are only Princess cruises being caught in the "you can't dock here" situation? First the Diamond, now the Grand?  Not Celebrity, not HAL, not RC... etc.

Are there other ships in the same situation, but our news media aren't telling us?

Or is it Princess's itineraries being different in some way?

Or should my question be, "why are the Princess pax being identified as having C-virus and not the other cruise line pax"?  I know about the Westerdarm, and maybe another one(?) in Feb, but now Princess is in this situation again. 

What is happening with Princess that is different....? 

Or is it the media not reporting any others, only Princess? 

Just curious....

Edited by WoodstockGirl
  • Like 1

I think it has more to do with the age of passengers on Princess.  It caters more to the mature crowd that would go to the infirmary if they were sick.  Younger people may just have a runny nose and fever but would go on about their day. I know up until now, I would never go to the infirmary if I were sick.  I would just suck it up since I paid so much for the cruise.  I'm sure that it is more spread out over the US than anyone thinks.  That's just my guess.

• Like 6

Just a little bit of math can get you there.

The odds of of two people having the same birthday in a group of over 23 is better than 50%.

Not sure of the number of cruise ships out there, but if it is 365, Princess has 17 out there now. Chances of a second ship, not as low as you would think.

Doing this off the top of my head and memory of the numbers not so good, sorry for errors.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WoodstockGirl said:

Why are only Princess cruises being caught in the "you can't dock here" situation? First the Diamond, now the Grand?  Not Celebrity, not HAL, not RC... etc.

Are there other ships in the same situation, but our news media aren't telling us?

Or is it Princess's itineraries being different in some way?

Or should my question be, "why are the Princess pax being identified as having C-virus and not the other cruise line pax"?  I know about the Westerdarm, and maybe another one(?) in Feb, but now Princess is in this situation again. 

What is happening with Princess that is different....? 

Or is it the media not reporting any others, only Princess? 

Just curious....

There's been several cruise lines that have been denied. MSC, Carnival, Holland America, Costa, Fred Olson, just to name a few.

31 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Posts are referencing 2 different things.

1 being denied docking at a port because the port authorities are paranoid.

2 being held up because there are actual cases onboard. 

Yes, you're right.  Even I didn't realize that I was merging the two in the way I asked the original question.

The heart of my question was more to do with the quarantine situation......

Are other ships - other cruise lines - being held in place (off shore, or in ports) because of outbreaks, and/or for testing results,, and/or for quarantine. Both the ships that have been held in quarantine and received the media attention were Princess. 

Some here say "just the luck of the draw". 

Too bad it's been Princess both times that has been so unlucky.  

Edited by WoodstockGirl
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

That she’s curious, just like me.  I’ve been wondering the same thing since the Grand situation came about.

Yes; thank you for seeing the heart of my curiosity.... that I am curious. 

I just think it's a bit curious - interesting to note -  that it's been a Princess ship both times that have had actual outbreaks onboard, and that have had onboard quarantines, and testings. Why is this not happening on other ships?  Or is this happening on other ships, but being handled differently? OR is it not being reported in the media? OR is it not being reported in the media that I read and/or listen to? 

If it is happening on other ships, in other locations, I would like to hear about it, too.  

I didn't think it a "media conspiracy" when I said the media ... I only meant to reflect a couple of the answers that had been given by previous posters in response to my question. Neither did I think they were being conspiracy minded when they pointed out to me that our media isn't as European focused, and that different media report different things.

Just clarifying.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, joepeka said:

HAL Westerdam was in that same situation in Asia at the same time as Diamond.

No it wasn't. 

Diamond Princess had coronavirus on board.

Westerdam did NOT have coronavirus on board.