NCL ESCAPE ditches Margarativille At Sea?

My son is on the Escape this week (honeymoon cruise) and just told me that the Margaritaville At Sea was changed mid-cruise to an American Diner. 

Also, the 5 o'clock somewhere bar was shuttered. 

in addition, the Landshark Landing at Harvest Caye was closed for remodeling. 

First I've heard of this.   Anyone have details if this is fleet wide?  

As reported in several other threads regarding other ships - NCL is no longer contracting for the name/venue so it's being phased out to be American Diner.  I believe Bliss was first (don't think Joy ever had Margaritaville but got the AD when going through the conversion for North America).

20 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

A la carte.

This is sad news lol I get used to something and they change it.  My cruise is on the escape to Bermuda April 11;  so I wonder 

what the menu or more importantly the drink menu is for the AD?

Tracie

5 minutes ago, Summerstravel said:

This is sad news lol I get used to something and they change it.  My cruise is on the escape to Bermuda April 11;  so I wonder 

what the menu or more importantly the drink menu is for the AD?

Tracie

Not sure if this is up to date or not, but it's what I found on a quick Google search:

american-diner.jpeg.optimal.jpeg

1 hour ago, havanadaydreaming said:

This makes me sad. 5 o'clock somewhere is always our first stop when we board.  A great place for a waterside drink and getting into cruise mode.   We will be on the Escape in April... I wonder what will take its place.   I'd heard about the changeover for Margaritaville but hadn't really thought about the 5 o'clock somewhere bar - which I should have, of course.  Bummer.

2 minutes ago, TenForward said:

This makes me sad. 5 o'clock somewhere is always our first stop when we board.  A great place for a waterside drink and getting into cruise mode.   We will be on the Escape in April... I wonder what will take its place.   I'd heard about the changeover for Margaritaville but hadn't really thought about the 5 o'clock somewhere bar - which I should have, of course.  Bummer.

If they change it over to the Cavern Club like on the newer ships, you shouldn't be sad. Escape is still my favorite ship, but the Cavern Club is better utilized on the Bliss than 5 o'clock ever was on the Escape.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TenForward said:

I agree it's been my first stop as well. 😔

On our cruise a month ago we were told by the haven restaurant manager that it would be switched over right after arriving in Europe.  Supposedly they are having  a very short dry dock for maintenance and to do the margaritaville strip out.

if they don´t cancel cruises the Escape is going into a short dry dock after the europe saison in october 2020. Hope they change the 5 o clock bar before.

Read a rumor that they change it to a pour house. i would like a syd norman´s like at getaway and breakaway. Hope the have finished it soon. ( before my cruise in May )

2 hours ago, TenForward said:

Yeah... they ended their relationship with Jimmy Buffett so all branded outlets are being changed.  

11 hours ago, JoeTec said:

So what are they making the Landshark at Harvest Caye? This is the 1st I heard of them changing but should have realized that

I haven't heard and my son, who just disembarked today, didn't see any notifications on HC.

odd, he said the Landshark pool didn't open until 11am.  we were there last year and I don't recall the pool opening that late in the morning but it's possible we didn't get there until 11 or so. 

11 hours ago, JoeTec said:

So what are they making the Landshark at Harvest Caye? This is the 1st I heard of them changing but should have realized that

I don't know that it is becoming something different.  The OP said is was closed for remodeling.  It's four years old now so it might be time for a refresh?

We just got off the Escape. We watched the sign for 5 O’Clock bar being taken down outside last  evening. The signage inside was already down, crews were working on the re-fit.  We were at Harvest Caye this week, and ate at Landshark. At least I think it was that, it was the large restaurant with outdoor and indoor seating. 

Margaritaville is already branded as American Diner, though we didn’t go in. We did get free Margaritaville “blender cups” this week. Fun souvenir, guess they were getting rid of the stock.

Just for kicks I just checked out the info on Escape on NCL website, it still shows Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville at Sea on the deck plans, etc.

For the vast majority of cruisers I don't think this update will have an impact. American Diner will be pretty comparable and maintains the a la carte pricing for its dining.   

However, I'm a big time parrothead(53 shows attended and counting) and we booked our cruise several years ago on the Escape specifically so I could get to a Margaritaville at Sea (I know, I know...ha).  I really enjoyed being able to go up there and at least listen to a half hour of Jimmy Buffett music on the PA while sipping on a beer.  that cruise was our first NCL experience and it has quickly become our favorite line to cruise.  

My unrelated opinion on the Margaritaville at Sea "failure".

I would have loved to have seen the menu pared down to just "Cheeseburgers in Paradise", much in the same manner at Guy's Burger on Carnival.  Only a few choices, efficient to prepare and serve fresh. Complimentary.  I know the Margaritaville was complimentary originally and it was mobbed, huge lines all the time.  It was kind of a train wreck and folks didn't really enjoy the experience...so specialty dining pricing went into effect (a big dud) and then a la carte (which was a little more popular, but not a hit).

As I said above we love NCL but the one thing I miss onboard is the ability to get a great burger freshly prepared on the Lido deck (like I can on Carnival).  I know it's not just me, everyone I know who has sailed Carnival has really enjoyed the Guy's burgers - most eat them several times per week onboard. 

On 3/6/2020 at 1:23 PM, havanadaydreaming said:

My son is on the Escape this week (honeymoon cruise) and just told me that the Margaritaville At Sea was changed mid-cruise to an American Diner. 

in addition, the Landshark Landing at Harvest Caye was closed for remodeling. 

First I've heard of this.   Anyone have details if this is fleet wide?  

Sailing on Escape March Break - will the space formerly known as 5 o'clock somewhere re-open by then?

Landshark landing? How long until re- open?