New NCL cancellation policy 3/6/2020

justhappy

2 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Well, prepaid shore excursions, taxes, fees, those are refunded regardless of the reason for cancellation.  The major thing with this offer, IMO, is whether they give "FULL" credit for the cruise fare.  If so, great for those who want to cancel and not take the cruise. 

Where did you see this?  It is different from the information in the OP which says that nothing will be refunded, everything goes to FCC.  

8 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

So the message in the link doesn't give any details.  Will they refund any components that we have paid?  What about pre-paid shore excursions?  

I called a little while ago and canceled all of the “extras“ that I had added to our reservation. So a three night specialty dining package for DD, a soda package for DD, and upgraded Wi-Fi. We hadn’t pre-paid for any of our excursions because we had the $50 per port credit, but if we had pre-paid, I would have been able to cancel those as well. 

55 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

Yes, but the question was about, what if you cancel a cruise scheduled for next month, and use your FCC to book a cruise in August or September 2020.  Will they let you cancel "again", a second time for FCC that can be used until December 2022?

I see. That’s a good question.

Port fees and taxes are not part of the cruise fare... they are refunded no matter what the cancelation reason is.  If that has changed, the NCL may have a problem.  In the past, I've had to cancel a few cruises, the first thing refunded to my CC have always been the "add ons" like port fees, excursions, onboard reservations... dining packages.. etc...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Port fees and taxes are not part of the cruise fare... they are refunded no matter what the cancelation reason is.  If that has changed, the NCL may have a problem.  In the past, I've had to cancel a few cruises, the first thing refunded to my CC have always been the "add ons" like port fees, excursions, onboard reservations... dining packages.. etc...

Exactly. Someone said this is different because NCL didn't cancel. It doesn't matter who cancels...you or NCL...those prepaid expenses are always refundable. For them to hold that money hostage is inexcusable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SHP said:

Well, we are sailing on March 8th. Haven't started travel yet, but as soon as I saw the policy change I called in. Technically we are at 48 hours, but they don't allow it prior to March 10th.

No flexibility. So we, from Seattle area, are left with 2 options - (1) throw away all our money, or (2) ignore government advice not to travel, avoid gatherings etc. Being from Seattle, an area with students who attend schools now closed and with most major businesses requiring anyone who can to work from home, why am I given no option but to continue with my travel or throw away my money. I am Latitudes Gold but this (if I go) will be my last NCL Cruise. Maybe I should escalate my case to Mike Pence for his meeting with the cruise lines tomorrow. What is the difference in terms of safety from doing it effective immediately or doing it next Tuesday - it just puts more people at risk. Of course, the obvious answer, is that it's about the money for NCL. Sad....

I note that Holland America also brought in a 3 day cancellation policy but also WAIVED the 3 day requirement for anyone with imminent sailings. Called NCL and escalated to a supervisor who fully understood but said that they have NO FLEXIBILITY in this policy. 

So, congratulations NCL for continuing to put people at risk

I hear you loud and clear.  We sail on march 8th also.  My husband wants to cancel.  I figure even if mike pence steps in on Saturday, want be for Sunday sailings. Hope NCL doesn’t live to regret the few days they allowed people to reluctantly travel.

• Like 2

Just a side note for those who see a site that's Canadian... it's real easy to change it to a US site.... you'll see (ca/en) in the URL beside NCL.com.... just remove the ca/en and it becomes your US website.  

I use a VPN so that I access either US or CDN to compare prices.  I don't want to overpay, LOL. Yeah, good luck with that as a Canadian, but, I know what I'm paying either way. 

HTHs 

Cheers

I am glad NCL stepped up but I still don't understand why they are not refunding for insurance. It's not like any one used the insurance that they paid for. It should be counted just like paid gratuities, etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

You are talking about the existing policy for cancel before final payment or within the penalty phase.  NCL is essentially changing the terms of the penalty phase - and the new terms are that you get 100% FCC.  You could argue that you prefer the old terms and get your pre-paid expenses back but you would lose on the fare.

5 minutes ago, Mrworldwide_88 said:

So, in theory, my price has dropped. I could cancel then rebook the same cruise with credit. What happens to the credit that I dont use?

That's a good question.  Royal's policy seems to imply that you could do that and then get the difference as FCC.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence

4 minutes ago, julig22 said:

You are talking about the existing policy for cancel before final payment or within the penalty phase.  NCL is essentially changing the terms of the penalty phase - and the new terms are that you get 100% FCC.  You could argue that you prefer the old terms and get your pre-paid expenses back but you would lose on the fare.

Or, I can do as many others are doing and cancel all the add ons and lose the out on the other charges.  I don't want to do either... I just don't want to pay an exhoribatant price for a cruise which should be cancelled anyway... not my choice, just reality. 

1 minute ago, Mrworldwide_88 said:

So possibly I may have credit to use on a future cruise if cheaper?

If you were sailing on Royal Caribbean.

I still haven't seen a link that shows the details of NCL's policy.  The link in post 41 is very light on details. 

12 minutes ago, Mrworldwide_88 said:

So, in theory, my price has dropped. I could cancel then rebook the same cruise with credit. What happens to the credit that I dont use?

I was thinking the same thing! Would love to know if anyone has successfully done this - cancelled and rebooked at lower rate for same cruise? 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Gershep said:

I am glad NCL stepped up but I still don't understand why they are not refunding for insurance. It's not like any one used the insurance that they paid for. It should be counted just like paid gratuities, etc.

That is a third party insurance company not NCL.  The insurance company was paid already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babydaryl24 said:

This is what I am wondering. I just want to cancel, too. Get a refund. I don't want anything to do with this, any longer.

Hey,,, slow down. Take the credit. In a few weeks the drama falls off. Why? he billions some company will make due to a cure they create. Then the next flu will? Its all good. If you have issues now cool. wait and dive back in later. Crusing is such a wonderful experience. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Just a side note for those who see a site that's Canadian... it's real easy to change it to a US site.... you'll see (ca/en) in the URL beside NCL.com.... just remove the ca/en and it becomes your US website.  

I use a VPN so that I access either US or CDN to compare prices.  I don't want to overpay, LOL. Yeah, good luck with that as a Canadian, but, I know what I'm paying either way. 

HTHs 

Cheers

Ohhhh . . . LOL, I was wondering why I was seeing "CA$" and did not realize it was the Canadian website.  Thought for a minute there that California was printing their own money 😉

• Haha 1

I just want to get a 100% refund of my money and not a future cruise credit 😞 I guess all just wait and hopefully if NCL cancels the cruise themselves they will give money back instead of a future cruse credit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gershep said:

I agree - 

Will we lose our past cruise credit if we cancel our current cruise?  We received 25% FCC when our Jade Singapore cruise was cancelled last month.  We applied that cruise credit when we booked a new cruise scheduled for April, and which we will likely cancel.  So will the FCC for cancelling our current cruise amount to only what we paid out of pocket?  Or will it include the 25% FCC that we would still have if we never booked our April cruise?

I would not be happy if NCL tried to take that away from us, just because we booked a new cruise.  

Edited by Lou33

Good move for NCL to do this like many other companies. I know I personally wouldn't cruise anywhere right now. With people arriving from all over the world via various means of travel (planes, trains & automobiles!) and congregating on a ship where we know, from norovirus and recent coronavirus outbreaks, that things spread easily onboard. It wouldn't be worth the risk at all for me.

However, for those that aren't concerned, it probably is the best time to cruise as ships are unlikely to be full.

3 of Canada's 54 cases are from the Grand Princess February 11 - 21 cruise and there were 267 Canadians on board. Who knows how many other cases will be diagnosed from that alone - considering airplane/travel home and spread in the community since arriving home. Canada's chief public health officer has warned travellers to think twice about cruises - with special attention if you are elderly or have a medical condition.

Edited by Canagirl