Canada’s chief public health officer is advising Canadians to avoid cruises

tocruiseguy

Won't be good for business but she has a point....

Canada’s chief public health officer is advising Canadians to avoid cruises and self-monitor for 14 days if they are arriving home from any kind of travel due to the coronavirus, according to a press conference Friday.

“I am asking Canadians to think twice before going on cruise ships,” Dr. Theresa Tam said.

Jump to live updates

Three of Canada’s 51 confirmed COVID-19 cases were passengers on the Grand Princess cruise, which started and ended in San Francisco from Feb. 11 to Feb. 21. More than 260 Canadians were on the cruise ship at the time, and the Public Health Agency of Canada is currently trying to find them.

Tam said that for travellers returning to Canada, they are being advised to self-monitor for 14 days and self-isolate if they show any coronavirus symptoms.

Canada's chief public health officer is asking Canadians to "think twice" before going on a cruise. She said on Friday that they are environments where COVID-19 can spread easily, and may also be subject to quarantine procedures by other international jurisdictions.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/coronavirus-live-updates-covid19-canada?video_autoplay=true

I’m a Canadian and I have thought more than twice about my upcoming TA on Sirena. Unless the cruise is cancelled by Oceania I am going. I am a solo traveller and plan to take lots of sewing and knitting also load up my IPad with books. I will take extra medication with me in case of “delays”. I am a healthy 77 yr old and am looking forward to my 11th cruise on Oceania.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse68 said:

I’m a Canadian and I have thought more than twice about my upcoming TA on Sirena. Unless the cruise is cancelled by Oceania I am going. I am a solo traveller and plan to take lots of sewing and knitting also load up my IPad with books. I will take extra medication with me in case of “delays”. I am a healthy 77 yr old and am looking forward to my 11th cruise on Oceania.

👍

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse68 said:

BTW, I think she is saying not to cruise in the immediate future.  We have a cruise booked in June and hope to go on it. To go or not to go is a very personal decision.  Just posted it so people are informed from legitimate sources.  

My cruise leaves on April 11. 5 weeks tomorrow. I agree, a very personal decision . In light of Oceania’s recent announcement regarding the 48 hr cancellation, it certainly takes the pressure off and allows one to be flexible and monitor an ever changing situation.

• Like 2

At Pence's presentation this afternoon (3/6) something similar was said.  Seniors "with underlying problems" were advised to think seriously about cruising.  Not good news for the industry given the age demographics of many cruisers.

OTOH, obviously lots of people are worried about cruising just now.

• Thanks 1

I have just been chatting with my TA and she informs me that unless the travel advisory ie ”do not go on any cruise ship ”is on the government of Canada’s website your cancellation insurance would not apply. As my cruise is not until April 11 I am content to wait and see for a while as things are changing from minute to minute. Ever the optimist I am hoping things will have settled somewhat by then😁

9 hours ago, Lighthouse68 said:

I have just been chatting with my TA and she informs me that unless the travel advisory ie ”do not go on any cruise ship ”is on the government of Canada’s website your cancellation insurance would not apply. As my cruise is not until April 11 I am content to wait and see for a while as things are changing from minute to minute. Ever the optimist I am hoping things will have settled somewhat by then😁

It is posted " avoid all cruise ship travel "  on their site that posts the travel advisories (https://travel.gc.ca/)

image.thumb.png.500c80f012add2c673a856fce5cad1c0.png

And that is a link to

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html#cruise

"...

Avoid all cruise ship travel

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is recommending that Canadians avoid all cruise ship travel due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.

Cruise passengers include travellers from around the world who may be arriving from areas with known or unknown spread of COVID-19. The virus can spread quickly on board cruises due to the close contact between passengers. Older people and people with a weakened immune system or underlying medical condition are at a higher risk of developing severe disease.

..."

Local news, right now, has the Canadian chief public health manager speaking and she clearly states all Canadians should cease cruise travel immediately.

Interviewed a Toronto family who just cancelled the March break (next week) cruise for their extended family.

Instead they are going to Florida and rented a large house with lanai and pool - the lady seemed real pleased.

Further, in the paper this am - doctors and experts urging Canadians to avoid travel on March break....

2 hours ago, tocruiseguy said:

More negative press on cruising.  I had no idea they charged for the Doctor services on board...stupid me.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/coronavirus-cruise-warnings-1.5491789

They charge...and charge...and charge. DW became sick while on Marina two years ago. ( " We don't know what it is but it isn't Noro." ) The bill came to approximately $10K! 

Fortunately, our primary coverage and travel insurance covered the bill 100%.

20 hours ago, Lighthouse68 said:

our travel insurance said the same thing . Canada need to issue a formal travel advisory or the company will not cover cancellation . right now it is a suggestion we not travel . 

That makes me so cross!! Avoid all cruise ship travel highlighted in red on the government website and that’s not enough to trigger your insurance??? How could it be worded any more strongly? It seems the insurance companies will go to any lengths to avoid paying out. One wonders why bother buying cancellation insurance.

14 minutes ago, Lighthouse68 said:

That makes me so cross!! Avoid all cruise ship travel highlighted in red on the government website and that’s not enough to trigger your insurance??? How could it be worded any more strongly? It seems the insurance companies will go to any lengths to avoid paying out. One wonders why bother buying cancellation insurance.

tried to look for a facebook page or gov site to complain to 

It seems the insurance companies will go to any lengths to avoid paying out. One wonders why bother buying cancellation insurance.

Exactly. We don’t. Yes we may take a hit on this one, but by self insuring we are still way ahead. Have the usual cc coverage. Split charges to maximize benefits.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

3 minutes ago, potterhill said:

Have the usual cc coverage. Split charges to maximize benefits.

Doesn't that cover you only if you cannot cruise due to illness (and such) rather than fear of the virus or changed itinerary?

19 hours ago, frannie said:

tried to look for a facebook page or gov site to complain to 

maybe try here

https://www.novascotia.ca/finance/en/home/insurance/superintendantofinsurance.aspx

https://www.johnson.ca/complaint-procedures

I wonder what the wording was  for trips booked before the virus was known?

"Travel arrangements made to a destination after it has received such an advisory are not eligible for medical coverage or trip cancellation/interruption coverage. Please refer to your policy wording for more details."