Fort Lauderdale hotel decision

cheriberi

I am in the process of booking our pre-cruise hotel for our cruise in November and have narrowed it down to two: Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port and the Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port. For those who have stayed at either hotel which one would you choose and why? 

We are frequent guests at Hyatt hotels and have often stayed at Hyatt Place off 17th Street. For our last cruise, we opted to stay pre-cruise at t Hyatt in Dania due to getting a better rate, but post cruise, we opted for the 17th St. location. If you go for Hyatt, be sure to enroll in their hotel points program, earn a free night and breakfast is free, plus complimentary bottled water.

Darcy

I second Cruiseapril.  That location is hard to beat.  Publix grocery store is right behind it, wine store walking distance, lots of restaurants, pharmacies, Ross clothing store across the street.  Walk down to the water taxi launch under the bridge at Hilton Marina.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just booked Hyatt for Jan 2021. Got a great deal so lets hope they don't go under before then. We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton this past Feb and walked passed the Hyatt on our way to Publix......Hyatt location cannot be beat in my opinion.  I don't know why I have never considered this hotel before in our last 10 years of cruising out of FLL. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2020 at 10:15 AM, cruiseapril said:

Hyatt Place on 17th st. is located in a good walking area- walk to shops, restaurants etc.  Not far from

cruise port.

Can I walk to both the port & a wine shop?

14 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Can I walk to both the port & a wine shop?

Walk to Total Wine - easy!

Walk to your ship - depends upon what berth your ship is at, how much luggage you are dragging, and how hot and humid it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JohninDC said:

Walk to Total Wine - easy!

Walk to your ship - depends upon what berth your ship is at, how much luggage you are dragging, and how hot and humid it is.

Shouldn't be too bad in April & I have one 22" suitcase. Thanks!!

14 hours ago, Ombud said:

Shouldn't be too bad in April & I have one 22" suitcase. Thanks!!

It can get very hot in April.  This past March and April there were many, many days in the 90s!

You also need to take into consideration which terminal you are leaving from.  Terminals 2 (Princess) and 4 (varies) are within a block of 17th street on Eisenhower Blvd whereas the other terminals are much further away from 17th Street.  Be warned that Port Everglades is not very pedestrian friendly since it is a major industrial port (think narrow sidewalks, no shade, lots of truck traffic).  See the map (Hyatt Place is outside the northwest corner of the port) of the terminals at https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Map_Update_Feb_5_2019_c3513794-cec5-467a-899d-9242d64c9c90.pdf

Edited by capriccio
  • Thanks 1

I think I'll spend the $7 and take their shuttle! 90° is okay in California where the humidity is low but horrible in areas with high humidity. Now just trying to decide between Hyatt 17th St and Embassy Suites (belong to both Hilton & Hyatt -- my go to hotel chains)

On 5/22/2020 at 11:38 AM, Ombud said:

I think I'll spend the $7 and take their shuttle! 90° is okay in California where the humidity is low but horrible in areas with high humidity. Now just trying to decide between Hyatt 17th St and Embassy Suites (belong to both Hilton & Hyatt -- my go to hotel chains)

Wise choice on the shuttle.  I've stayed at Embassy a number of years ago and the location is excellent and the pool is beautiful, but from what I've read in the past couple years is that it needs a serious refresh.  I am not picky so I'd probably be fine with it, but who knows.  They also offer a free hot breakfast.  Everyone seems to really like Hyatt, but I've never stayed there.  They are pretty much almost right next to each other so one isn't any better than the other in regards to location.   This time we're doing Hilton Marina, just down the road in walking distance to everything and it just got completely renovated.  Pool deck is awesome, right across from the Port.

On 5/22/2020 at 11:38 AM, Ombud said:

Uber is your friend.  Uber is not much more and you won't be packed into a van waiting for it to fill and stopping at a couple of other ships.  Go for Uber.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Uber is your friend.  Uber is not much more and you won't be packed into a van waiting for it to fill and stopping at a couple of other ships.  Go for Uber.

And given that shuttles charge per person and Uber/Lyft/Taxi are per vehicle even a group of 2 might save (and definitely a group of 3 or more will) money with a private vehicle not a shuttle.

28 minutes ago, pooh/tigger said:

Getting rate of $164 for a king bed at Hilton marina. Good rate?

Prices vary widely according to the time of year (higher during the winter; cheaper during the summer).  When is your visit?

21 hours ago, pooh/tigger said:

Getting rate of $164 for a king bed at Hilton marina. Good rate?

we paid about $200 for a night early December - AAA park and stay rate - High Tower Balcony looking at the cruise port

not quite as convenient as the hotels on 17th for walking to places, but we have our car, so no problem for us

Volijeep, since you stayed there, is this a good place to stay for a couple days if you just like to hang out at the pool and relax? Is everything close? Was dining expensive at the resort? Is the pool nice? We are an older couple who just wanted to hang out at the pool and relax for a couple days before our 10 day cruise. Thanks for your help.

On 3/7/2020 at 11:44 PM, nhraformula00 said:

Hyatt  Place 17th St. is our go to hotel. We have been to most of them on 17th St and it is one of the best all around.

do you know how much they charge for shuttle from the airport?  Do they offer shuttle to cruise port?